PDA

View Full Version : Star sizer bullet collater question

uglysteve
03-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Is it possible to configure the Hornady bullet feeder to drop cast bullets nose first into the star bullet feeder? I've seen videos of folks making bullet flippers but I think if the bullet feeder could be configured this way, it would be much simpler.

VHoward
03-23-2014, 11:09 PM
It would be easier to make a bullet flipper than to modify the Hornady bullet collator.

landers
03-24-2014, 11:27 AM
I fiddled with mine for weeks and could not get satisfactory results so I had a short punch made and now size my large batches base first. It works fairly well but I still get about 1 in 500 that feeds nose first which for me is not a big deal. I made a few bullet flippers but I never liked the results of my work so again I just went to sizing base first.

uglysteve
03-24-2014, 01:02 PM
What do you mean when you say you could not get satisfactory results? Where the bullets coming out inconsistently?

VHoward
03-24-2014, 08:04 PM
I never could get the hornady bullet collator to feed bullets reliably no matter how I adjusted it. It was very slow and could not keep up with me. I now have a Mr Bullet feeder and I can not keep up with it. Fortunately it has a micro switch that turns it off while it waits for you.. Mr Bullet feeder says they have gotten a patent for a mod add on to make it feed bullets nose down and will go into production soon. I think it was worth it.
www.mrbulletfeeder.biz <-- web site of the inventor
www.mrbulletfeeder.com <--- web site of company that now makes them

uglysteve
03-26-2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks for that info. I've contacted rick with a couple questions.

Steve

landers
03-27-2014, 11:21 AM
What do you mean when you say you could not get satisfactory results? Where the bullets coming out inconsistently?

Uglysteve,
no matter how much I adjusted the collator to drop bullets nose first I couldn't get it to do it reliably, either it was adjusted so picky it couldn't keep up with the sizer or it feed to many bullets base first to make it worth while. Sizing base first has been the simplest solution until there is a flipper is made or Mr. Bullet finally releases his conversion.

blikseme300
03-27-2014, 11:08 PM
I fill 4' tubes using a Hornady boolit collator. I simply flip the tubes over and drop into the boolit feeder on my Star's to go nose first.

uglysteve
03-28-2014, 08:37 PM
That's a good second choice alternative.

VHoward
03-28-2014, 10:48 PM
That's what I'm doing now also.

jmorris
03-28-2014, 10:55 PM
This is the bullet flipper I built. Pretty simple.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?191427-quot-how-to-quot-for-a-bullet-flipper&highlight=Bullet+flipper