PDA

View Full Version : weird colored mix

karlrudin
03-23-2014, 05:08 PM
I had sorted my coww by using a magnet so as not to get metal ones in the pot. I heated it up and it came to temp. I started removing the clip and the batch started to get colored. First a gold haze then it turned into a dark blue haze. no matter how much I fluxed it, it wouldn't go away. so I emptied the pot into mold and looked into the pot. it still had a gold/blue haze around the bottom of the pot. ?????? Did i get ahold of something that is going to mess me up.

mold maker
03-23-2014, 05:36 PM
Sounds as if you over heated the lead. No harm done.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-23-2014, 05:58 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?63550-Gold-and-purple-and-blue-Oh-My!&highlight=Gold

Down South
03-23-2014, 09:22 PM
Too much heat.

karlrudin
03-24-2014, 01:50 AM
I didnt know that heat would affect the color of lead. new to this. but I was using the same setting on my pot as I have been before and never had this problem. I did notice that after I culled out the ww clips, the mix was a mess. figured it was zinc and was going to discard. But when the colors came in, i didnt know what to think. so even if it is zinc in the mix, will it mold and can i still shoot it for paper?

catman81056
03-24-2014, 07:06 AM
If I'm not mistaken, zinc is not magnetic. It is usually marked though.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-24-2014, 10:37 AM
I didnt know that heat would affect the color of lead. new to this. but I was using the same setting on my pot as I have been before and never had this problem. I did notice that after I culled out the ww clips, the mix was a mess. figured it was zinc and was going to discard. But when the colors came in, i didnt know what to think. so even if it is zinc in the mix, will it mold and can i still shoot it for paper?
YES !
Zinc will not hurt your rifle. There have been members that have experimented with shooting pure zinc boolits. BUT, you will find that a Lead alloy with more than 1 or 2% Zinc will not cast well. I had a batch of COWW get zinc contaminated, I just would add one of those ingots in a near full pot of other alloy, that dilutes the Zinc down so you have no ill effects to casting.

NOW, you mention, "the mix was a mess"
What about it was a mess ?
If you don't remove all the dross, there can be rust oxides or sand/grit...those type of things in a alloy is real bad. But that can just be reheated and fluxed to separate.

Walter Laich
03-24-2014, 01:54 PM
I believe that the dangers of zinc in the mix has been blown out of proposition.
Agree that some Zn in mix is not as bad as many say it is....
the sky is falling...the sky is falling!