PDA

View Full Version : BP Brands

Norm
12-28-2007, 10:59 AM
I'd like to ask some of you BPCR shooters about your opinion of Goex vs Swiss. What do you think is the best, cleanest BPCR powder?
I have heard the kind of wood used for the charcoal makes a big difference, but I don't know.

e15cap
12-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Swiss has ruled the roost for some time now.

Harry O
12-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Swiss is definitely cleaner. It is no where near smokeless (or even Pyrodex) in cleanliness, but it is cleaner than Goex. Both are equally accurate in my guns, but I have to clean the Goex guns more often. Swiss gives a little more velocity. It also needs less compression than Goex.

Norm
12-28-2007, 12:19 PM
How about the replica BP such as Pinnacle in cartridges?

Boz330
12-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Swiss is cleaner as Harry said. Less fines in the powder as well. It weighs about 10% more per volume than Goex. I was just getting serious about BPCRS when I discovered Swiss and haven't gone back. I still have a fair amount of Goex but use it in my MLs. In my rifle the Swiss seems to like a little compression, but nothing like I used with Goex.
Now Goex has their Express that is supposed to work pretty well but I already have a load for the Swiss and hate to start all over. Plus the Express is a little more expensive than the Swiss at my supplier. Goex is the cheapest way to go and folks are getting good accuracy. I think that Swiss is just a little easier to work with, or at least for me.

Bob

montana_charlie
12-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Swiss is definitely cleaner.
Both are equally accurate in my guns, but I have to clean the Goex guns more often.
Can you define "more often", please.
CM

Gussy
12-28-2007, 04:21 PM
I like the Goex Express black powder (not the regular Goex black). It has softer fouling than Swiss and I find it easier to clean. Blow tube & patch (dry), damp patch, damp patch, dry patch, oil patch.

I found the Swiss fairly clean, but, the fouling was a hard cake.

Swiss is faster per volume but compressed Goex express gives the same performance in my 38-55.

Harry O
12-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Can you define "more often", please.
CM

Depends on the gun. I have shot it with several ML, a couple of rifle cartridges, and a few handgun cartridges. The most experience I have is with the 41 Long Colt, mostly in double-action 1892 series Colts (at least half of the 5,000 rounds I have shot from them were BP). I can shoot the Goex for 24-30 rounds before a cleaning is necessary (from binding and loss of accuracy due to caking in the barrel). I can get double that with Swiss.

The next most I have shot with BP is from a Ruger No. 3 in .375 Winchester (think of it as a newbe 38-55). I can shoot about 5 to 8 shots before swabbing out the bore with Goex. 12 to 15 with Swiss. I have some "Big Lube" bullets I will be trying this spring to see if that will extend things. any more.

I have heard about the new Goex (and also several other substitute BP powders), but have not tried them. Swiss is the best. Goex next. Elephant brand last. I tried Pyrodex once and ended up giving away a half pound of it. No other experience.

crossfireoops
12-28-2007, 09:50 PM
I just flat LOVE Goex's softer, moister fouling.

I Just flat love the "Never Sweat" of going lot to lot with Swiss by volume charge and not having to screw around......with load Development, every new case.

I Hate Swiss's propensity for "Cake"....hard fouling.

If it sounds like I can't make up my mind, ....it should.

Either one will perform adequately / accurately.....with a good driver at the wheel.

No particularly "Easy" path to BPCR tack drivin'....regardless.

Greg

crossfireoops
12-28-2007, 09:53 PM
I should'a mentioned that one way to get around Swiss's hard cake foul-out is to use a "Wetter" lube,.....

A juggling act, .....

GTC

Harry O
12-29-2007, 01:03 AM
I just flat LOVE Goex's softer, moister fouling.
Greg

Is that the new Goex? It certainly does not describe my OLD Goex.

In any case, the more lube the better, regardless of the brand of BP. After I got quick, hard fouling near the muzzle of the 38-55, I added a lube disc under the bullet. That improved things, but takes longer to load.

That is why I am trying some "Big Lube" bullets. The more lube, the longer the fouling stays soft. I don't know for sure if it is possible to put much lube in BP cartridges. I guess I will find out with the new bullets. They have somewhere between 3 and 5 times the lube of my "standard" bullets. I believe they have as much (or probably a little more) lube than my standard bullets plus the lube disc.

13Echo
12-29-2007, 11:13 AM
The first lots of Goex I tried gave very hard fouling despite all kinds of blow tubing and lube. The Goex FFg from 2002 that I'm currently shooting is very clean with minimal fines and gives soft. easily managed fouling even in my 34" barrel 45-90 with good accuracy. I haven't tried Swiss but it certainly has a good reputation and the reports on the new premium Goex is very incouraging. I'll probably try it when I run out of the powder I have left.

Jerry Liles

montana_charlie
12-29-2007, 01:39 PM
The most experience I have is with the 41 Long Colt, mostly in double-action
I can shoot the Goex for 24-30 rounds before a cleaning is necessary.
I see. Now I understand the experiences behind your comment, just never expected revolver techniques to be included in a BPCR discussion.

The next most I have shot with BP is from a Ruger No. 3 in .375 Winchester (think of it as a newbe 38-55). I can shoot about 5 to 8 shots before swabbing out the bore with Goex.
It appears you don't use any of the common 'fouling control' techniques common in BPCR shooting...blow tubing...wiping...lube cookies...etcetera...which are as important to those using Swiss as they are to the GOEX shooters.
CM