View Full Version : How do you clean your mold?

tayous1
03-23-2014, 12:46 PM
So I ran my brass mold a little too hot did not know it as I was working in a basement that was a little over 32 degs guessing 35 degs I poured my lead in taped the spur plate and opened the mold to have melted lead go all over the place. I know dumb me! Problem is now lead is in parts were it should not be giving me gaps and sometimes causing fins on the boolites I have tried to chip away the lead at points with a knife but I'm to worried to try it near the cuts for the boolite. So I'm looking for advice on how I can clean this mold up? Thanks for the help!

TXGunNut
03-23-2014, 03:00 PM
I use an ingot or bullet "eraser" to remove lead from a hot mould. Using anything harder than the brass may damage your mould.

detox
03-23-2014, 08:31 PM
A propane torch will melt the lead off your brass mould. Fine Scotch brite pad or quick swipe with tooth brush will help remove lead while mould is hot.

I use propane torch to preheat mould before casting.

Pb2au
03-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Just warm it up with a torch and when the lead splatters go shiny, wipe them off with a cotton rag.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Another trick for getting stuck lead and lead smears out of the way...at least on the blocks and not in the cavities, is to rub the spot or smear with the corner of an ingot which will "absorb" it . it can be done "cold". It also works on the underside of sprue plates/cutters LLS

GP100man
03-26-2014, 01:46 PM
I have poured small amount on the offending alloy & it stuck to it when the glob was removed.

weasel 21
03-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Ive got a lyman iron mold that has a lot of lead spatters on the face of the blocks. I cant get them off. Any ideas?

MT Gianni
03-27-2014, 10:32 AM
Put it on a hot plate or an edge in the melt. Get it good and warm, then cast rejecting all until the mold is HOT. Wipe it down with a cotton or burlap rag, it should all fall off.

ncbearman
03-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Heat is your friend when trying to clean any mould. Brass, aluminum, steel. As mentioned just don't use anything that is harder than the material your mould is made of and it will be ok.