PDA

View Full Version : What's the most "different" breakfast you have had?

DougGuy
03-23-2014, 12:35 PM
This morning was shad roe and eggs. Yeah.. Fish eggs and chicken eggs. Shad roe is considered by most a delicacy, only available for a short time each year. I saw some in the store and decided to get a few and try some. I usually love fish eggs especially rolled in cornmeal and fried, they taste a lot like a corn dog. This was sauteed in butter, it has a little bit of the fishy Shad taste, not much, not near as fishy tasting as the meat itself, which was a turnoff the time I had it. With eggs overeasy and grits, the roe is quite good I must admit they compliment each other well!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/478bc22a-a08e-481d-ab82-3ddbaea2d35e_zps7b277c51.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/478bc22a-a08e-481d-ab82-3ddbaea2d35e_zps7b277c51.jpg.html)

merlin101
03-23-2014, 12:42 PM
"What's the most "different" breakfast you have had?"
Gotta be the old Ham-N-Lima beans in a C-Rat can, I'd much rather have the Shad roe!

Trey45
03-23-2014, 12:42 PM
When I was in Haiti in the early 80's for relief mission work the hotel we stayed at served us turtle eggs for breakfast one morning. That was by far the strangest breakfast I have ever had. Turtle eggs DO NOT taste like chicken eggs, at all.

imashooter2
03-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Mom made veal kidneys and scrambled eggs for breakfast every Sunday before church growing up. I like mine with the kidney cut small and well caramelized and the eggs loose. I hardly ever have it these days. Wife and daughter won't touch them and whine incessantly about the smell when I cook them. :-(

Love Life
03-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Chili burgers at Andy's cheesesteaks. The best hangover medicine in the world.

Dale in Louisiana
03-23-2014, 01:03 PM
"What's the most "different" breakfast you have had?"
Gotta be the old Ham-N-Lima beans in a C-Rat can, I'd much rather have the Shad roe!

Ah, yes... Ham 'n' m*****f****rs! One of my favorites if I had time to stick the can in my tank's heater duct to get it warm.

dale in Louisiana

Bzcraig
03-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Scrambled ostrich eggs......still can't decide if I liked em and that was bout 10 years ago.

Hickok
03-23-2014, 01:57 PM
After a "night out with the guys" it was usually about 3 bottles of beer, slow and easy, so as not to disturb pain recepters in my head and the motion sensors in my stomach.

Gave that foolishness up long ago!

imashooter2
03-23-2014, 02:08 PM

LOL! Reminded me of vodka and Trix. The Senior Week favorite. [smilie=1:

Artful
03-23-2014, 02:43 PM
Soup - Thai restaurant owner who opened a place in Oregon
- all the previous nights left overs were made into breakfast soup
- each time it was a little different but always good.

JimA
03-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Room temperature pizza and beer from the night before...:-(

The Dove
03-23-2014, 04:18 PM
Sheep liver, slab of fat on a home-made flour tortilla. I had this in a Hogan about 1/2 way between Shiprock and Gallup, NM.

The Dove

catmandu
03-23-2014, 06:06 PM
Being from the north - a you-hoo and a moon pie.
But I learned to like it. :bigsmyl2:

Been eating southern cooking for 33 years. So I guess I like it.

Paul in WNY

condorjohn
03-23-2014, 08:11 PM
A big bowl of menudo and a couple cans of Bud. It will cure whatever you're
suffering from.

marvelshooter
03-23-2014, 08:13 PM
I had eggs over easy and baked haddock this morning.

Gibbs44
03-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Bunch of left over cabbage with rice and eggs scrambled together with hot sauce. Sometimes I'll add some chopped up left over bratwurst. That's about as strange as it gets here.

Dirtdgger
03-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Back in the sixties my dad would make stink bait out of cheddar cheese and calf brains. Well my dad would order extra calf brains so we could have calf brains and scrambled eggs. They were not that bad. Went real good with powdered milk.

geargnasher
03-23-2014, 09:17 PM

Sounds like you haven't experienced carne guisada burritos made with fresh, handmade tortillas and washed down with ice-cold Tecate, but I imagine that's close. Another good one has been mentioned, menudo. As far as I have experienced, GOOD menudo can't be made by English-speaking folk, but a hot cup of tripe soup and a stiff improvised Bloody Mary (Snappy Tom or Hot V8 & Stolichnaya) will cure what ails ya very quickly. Grandma's Ajax will take care of most anything else.

The Beast and cocoa puffs is probably the worst/strangest breakfast I've ever had.

Gear

Love Life
03-23-2014, 09:28 PM
The hair of the dog. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever eat a grip load of Taco Bell on a hot and humid North Carolina morning after a night of rabble rousing. You won't make it to flatwoods...

Iowa Fox
03-23-2014, 09:32 PM
Fresh hog brains and scrambled eggs.

MaryB
03-23-2014, 11:00 PM
Captain Crunch with beer instead of milk after a friends wedding...

Lloyd Smale
03-24-2014, 05:21 AM
glass of v8 with a raw egg and a double shot of vodka

CastingFool
03-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Never had anything that exotic for breakfast, but one evening, I had smoked salmon and oreos for dinner.

Changeling
03-24-2014, 01:49 PM
Fresh hog brains and scrambled eggs.

This is what I used to have also at butchering time.

Whiterabbit
03-24-2014, 01:55 PM
I've been to too many Asian countries to count different breakfasts using "that" definition of the word.

Here's something different and PRACTICAL. 16 ounces whole raw cows milk, 3 tbsp. raw almond butter, 3 oz of chocolate, 85% cacao or higher (I like 99-100 myself).

That'll keep a guy going for hours and hours and takes less than 5 minutes to eat standing over the sink. No complex sugar at 100% cacao. Nothing but fat, proteins, and simple carbs for straight body fuel.

Lance Boyle
03-24-2014, 06:40 PM
Eggs and little chinese breakfast sausages. They were a tad off flavored, bright neon red, and had large hunks of visible fat the size of marbles in them. Best friend in highschool was from Taiwan.

Whiterabbit
03-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Those are my favorite sausages money can buy, bar none. I buy them constantly in Taiwan, and I recently found a restaurant here that will sell me some frozen.

I'm in hog heaven. The fat chunks are what make it especially worth it.

scrappletaco
03-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Grilled salmon,peas, v8 spicy, half gallon of milk and coconut meat. It was awesome and kept me going all day

jaysouth
03-24-2014, 07:47 PM
I spent some time in a B&B in Inverness, Scotland. The landlady served kippers (smoked haddock) fatty bacon, steamed tomatoes, fried mushrooms and blood sausage for breakfast. You could also get porrage (oatmeal) and if you begged really hard, she would fry you one egg as hard a rock.

At a breakfast buffet in a hotel in Bangkhok, the offerings were all oriential and looked like what you get at a Chinese buffet here. There were also 'hot dogs' seasoned with sage and garlic that they called sausage. If your really begged and slipped the cook a couple baht, he would cook eggs that were crispy brown on the bottom and runny and raw on top. No toast or biscuits, just steamed rice.

Shiloh
03-24-2014, 10:09 PM
Fresh Chicharones with eggs and tortillas. Had it several times since.

Shiloh

Dale in Louisiana
03-24-2014, 10:47 PM
Cajun boudin and eggs. (That's pronounced "Boo-dan", light on the 'n')

Skin an eight-inch link of cold boudin, melt a tablespoon of butter in a skillet, heat the boudin in the melted butter. Mash the boudin flat and let it get good and brown and crispy on one side before turning it to brown the other side, then crack a couple of eggs on top, cover, and let the eggs cook. Dump on a plate and enjoy.

For those not familiar with Cajun boudin, it is basically a savory rice dressing made with pork, a little liver, green onions, salt and pepper, all stuffed in a sausage casing, then boiled. It's a common item in south Louisiana. You might find it in Texas, where they can't spell it right, calling it 'boudain' or some such ****.

A Cajun seven-course meal is a yard of boudin and a six-pack.

dale in Louisiana

gspgundog
03-24-2014, 10:59 PM
My mom loved her brains and eggs, never tried them. As for me good old fashion Kiska. It is also called Barley sausage or blood sausage. It is all the left over pork parts ground, seasoned and mixed with some barley. Just heat it up with butter in a fry pan press it flat and loose, add some ice cold milk, fresh rye bread and butter and I am 7 years old sitting in grandma's kitchen. It is alot like what you Philly people call pork scrapple. Another is Spitka which is small pieces of salt pork fried, drained, and mixed with scrambled eggs.

Bullet Caster
03-24-2014, 11:03 PM
Fried rattlesnake and eggs. Was on a Civil war reenactment. BC

AlaskanGuy
03-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Dried Salmon dipped in Seal Oil and a fried in Seal Oil Musk Ox Steak was my most unsusal breakfast....

AG

MT Gianni
03-24-2014, 11:30 PM
Mutton stew on the Navaho Rez was different. I have eaten perch roe mixed with scrambled eggs often, I add green Tabasco. Ate Duck eggs occasionally growing up.

texassako
03-24-2014, 11:35 PM
Cajun boudin and eggs. (That's pronounced "Boo-dan", light on the 'n')

Skin an eight-inch link of cold boudin, melt a tablespoon of butter in a skillet, heat the boudin in the melted butter. Mash the boudin flat and let it get good and brown and crispy on one side before turning it to brown the other side, then crack a couple of eggs on top, cover, and let the eggs cook. Dump on a plate and enjoy.

For those not familiar with Cajun boudin, it is basically a savory rice dressing made with pork, a little liver, green onions, salt and pepper, all stuffed in a sausage casing, then boiled. It's a common item in south Louisiana. You might find it in Texas, where they can't spell it right, calling it 'boudain' or some such ****.

A Cajun seven-course meal is a yard of boudin and a six-pack.

dale in Louisiana

Ha! We eat that, but chop it up, give it a dose of Sriracha sauce, and roll it in a fresh tortilla. Cajun breakfast tacos?

lancem
03-25-2014, 02:49 AM
While in Korea I was able to "enjoy" beef blood soup. My take on it is you whip up a good beef broth and then while it's boiling pour in the beef blood, which cooks into half in thick chunks of cooked blood... didn't eat much that morning...

winelover
03-25-2014, 08:19 AM
Many moons ago, when I was a teenager. My best friend's parents owned a Summer cottage, on a small island that could only be accessed by a ferry. It was about 50 miles from Detroit, and we would do our imbibing there and afterwards, crash at the cottage. Lack of full-time law enforcement was the determining factor.

One night, the bullfrogs were making their migration and you could hear the splats, they made, as we drove over them in the pick-up truck. After several "beers", we decided to collect some live ones. Threw them, in the "tool-box", in the bed of the truck.

Next morning, "hung over", we had for them for breakfast. Pan fried, in butter and still "kicking".

That same island, also had a pharmacy with a soda fountain. Nothing better than a genuine chocolate malt, for a hang-over. Stan and I, were some of their best customers!

Winelover

Dale in Louisiana
03-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Not the least bit 'different' to us, but to somebody else...

Cajun Breakfast

We Cajuns ate a lot of things for breakfast. Dad was the notorious breakfast cook in our family, and what he cooked was a constant argument between me and my brother. I opted for Dad’s pancakes, and Joe always wanted Dad’s French Toast. My great-grandmother was always good for home-made biscuits, bacon and eggs. But If I wanted to toss out a recipe for the most distinctively Cajun breakfast **I** can think of, I have to turn to my maternal grandmother and her couche-couche. Okay, let’s work on the pronunciation. It’s coosh-coosh.

A high school cheer from my alma mater:

Hot corn bread,
Cold couche-couche.
Come on, Gators,
poosh, poosh, poosh…

(Well, maybe you had to be there…)

Awww, cher, dis one’s so eeeeasy! (It doesn’t take much for Maw-Maw’s voice to come laughing back into my memory…)

Here’s the recipe:

Ingredients: (this is a bunch of EXOTIC stuff, yeah…)

2 cups of yellow corn meal. Okay, white will probably work, but Maw-Maw used yellow…

a teaspoon and a half of salt

a teaspoon of baking powder

a cup and a half of water or milk

oil (Maw-Maw used the grease left from cooking bacon. You ought to try this. Serve the crisp bacon as a side to the sweet couche-couche…)

(this makes the couche-couche. You’re gonna want some more milk, some sugar, or better yet, cane syrup or fig preserves, to EAT the couche-couche)

The procedure:

Put a heavy skillet (cast iron’s PERFECT for this!) on the stove over high heat and pour in a bit of oil. You want enough oil to where when you tilt the skillet, you can easily see it run to one side…

While the skillet is heating, mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. Add the liquid a bit at a time. You don’t want a batter. You want a wet mixture that will hold its form when you squeeze a bit in your fingers.

Just when the oil starts to smoke, dump the whole bowl of cornmeal mix into the skillet and spread it over the bottom in a layer. Turn the heat down to medium. Now comes the hard part: Let it be! You’ll see a bit of steam start to rise through the mixture. Carefully lift a bit off the bottom? Is it brown? No? Let it be some more. If it’s brown, then turn the mixture over in clumps and let the other side brown.

What you want to end up with is thumb-sized clumps of cooked, browned corn meal mix. When it’s cooked all the way through, then serve. If you’re of the curious type, a quick taste of the cooking process will easily tell you the difference between the uncooked (wetter looking) and cooked (dryer looking) mix. Once you taste what you’re looking at, you’ll have no trouble understanding the difference. That’s how I learned…

How do you serve this?

My favorite way was to spoon a cup or so into a bowl, pour some cane syrup over it as a sweetener, then add some cold milk. Think Cajun corn flakes, except crunchier, WEEKS fresher, and flavors beyond anything that ever came out of Battle Creek. In lieu of the cane syrup, Mom’s (or Maw-Maw’s) home-made fig preserves served equally as well as a sweetener.

dale in Louisiana

crazy mark
03-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Brains or tounge with eggs. My Germen Grandfather liked his weird meats. Had Kidneys/Liver for lunch and dinner. Other items I didn't ask about. Just ate them.

silverado
03-25-2014, 10:39 PM
Jolibee burgers in phillipines. ... not very good and we were hungover.... my wife loves their food though

gwpercle
03-31-2014, 05:39 PM
A quart of warm Pearl Beer (do they still brew Pearl ?) and a bag of Dorito's, nacho cheese flavor.
That morning, beer and dorito's was all we had in the house. And you know breakfast is the most important meal of the day. At the time it seemed like a good idea!

DougGuy
03-31-2014, 05:51 PM
Oh boy.. I started on Pearl beer! 2 quarts for 89¢! That was a while back ya think?? :bigsmyl2:

Col4570
03-31-2014, 05:57 PM
Black Pudding Bacon and Eggs.Slice the Black Pudding and fry it along with the Bacon.Nice.

winelover
04-01-2014, 07:34 AM
Oh boy.. I started on Pearl beer! 2 quarts for 89¢! That was a while back ya think?? :bigsmyl2:

Don't remind me----3 quarts of Blatz for $1.09---in my collage days. Was in 1972, IIRC.

Col4570
04-01-2014, 08:16 AM
I believe that the Buffalo Hunters and native Americans referred to the Buff intestines as Boudin eaten raw whilst still warm and dipped in bile to add extra flavour.Romantic times but those guys must have been as hard as Nails to exist out in the open like that.A nice Sharps or Rolling Block some Govt surplus 50.70 ammo and a will to survive.

MaryB
04-01-2014, 11:30 PM
Was Shlitz Malt when I started drinking, and cheap Schells in kegs from the brewery

silverado
04-01-2014, 11:53 PM
Thanks to this thread I know I'm not the first person to wake up and have a sip of whatever is nearby.... :D

Finster101
04-02-2014, 06:30 AM
Thanks to this thread I know I'm not the first person to wake up and have a sip of whatever is nearby.... :D

How you gonna say you drank all day if you don't start in the mornin' ?

Pb2au
04-02-2014, 08:04 AM
In Aquascalientes Mexico I shared breakfast with the security guard of the factory I was working at. I showed up at 6:00 am everyday to work and the guard and I sort of hit it off. He spoke terrible English and I passable spanish.
One day I showed up a little worse for the wear due to the over indulging of ardent spirits the night before. He saw me and took pity on my poor visage. So we shared his breakfast of eggs, peppers, tortillas, and these weird sausages. Very different but good.

opos
04-02-2014, 08:21 AM
As a small boy in the very early 40's my folks has just come out of the depression and were going into a wartime economy...we had very little...I grew up on Spam and Cornmeal mush ...fried with syrup on top for breakfast....a few years ago I told my Wife I'd like to try a bit of that to "relive my childhood" memories...I'm 76 now...she got it and fixed it up for me...worst thing I ever tried to eat...but it kept us going back in the day..

Got a buddy that can't eat fish without syrup on it...he grew up in Minnisota eating Fish and eggs and pancakes for breakfast..got used to the syrup running over onto the fish...he still get's fish and askes for syrup...strange looks but whatever blows your hair back I guess.

BruceB
04-02-2014, 12:14 PM

Yep... that raging thirst in the morning....

"How can I be so thirsty, when I had so much to drink last night?"

Just HOPE that no one dropped a cigarette butt into whatever you're about to drink...... been there, paid the price (if you weren't sick BEFORE the butt hits yer lips, you WILL be sick shortly afterward...)

Beagle333
04-02-2014, 12:35 PM
The Beast and cocoa puffs is probably the worst/strangest breakfast I've ever had.

'Never had that, but at Forestry Summer Camp (Junior quarter at college), the "real men" would have the Beast with Cheerios in the dining hall each morning.
The real Breakfast of Champions! :holysheep

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-02-2014, 12:42 PM
While visiting my Yupik cousins in Aniak AK, I was served Sailor Boy's with Half-dried.

"Half-dried" is what they called the belly meat from King Salmon, it was dried somewhat, but not completely, then frozen for storage. Thawed, then boiled, then served on the SB crackers. My my ...was that a RICH breakfast.

The most interesting side dish I ever had was from there also, "agutuk"
http://books.google.com/books?id=YyEnWRcHszEC&pg=PA172&lpg=PA172&dq=Yupik+agutuk&source=bl&ots=1N38609zwp&sig=xhkOAOnOtA3b5uQj9UndDFZ_pUI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=XTs8U7fyDMer2AX3_IC4BQ&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Yupik%20agutuk&f=false
I was told the agutuk I had was made with Crisco, sugar, dried Pike soaked in seal oil, and many varieties of frozen berries...blended together and served like Ice cream.

gwpercle
04-02-2014, 03:51 PM
While visiting my Yupik cousins in Aniak AK, I was served Sailor Boy's with Half-dried.

"Half-dried" is what they called the belly meat from King Salmon, it was dried somewhat, but not completely, then frozen for storage. Thawed, then boiled, then served on the SB crackers. My my ...was that a RICH breakfast.

The most interesting side dish I ever had was from there also, "agutuk"
http://books.google.com/books?id=YyEnWRcHszEC&pg=PA172&lpg=PA172&dq=Yupik+agutuk&source=bl&ots=1N38609zwp&sig=xhkOAOnOtA3b5uQj9UndDFZ_pUI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=XTs8U7fyDMer2AX3_IC4BQ&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Yupik%20agutuk&f=false
I was told the agutuk I had was made with Crisco, sugar, dried Pike soaked in seal oil, and many varieties of frozen berries...blended together and served like Ice cream.
I thought Cajuns from Louisiana would eat strange stuff...them Alaskan's got us beat by a country mile. None of that stuff sounds edible or tasty! Spam sounds downright like Gormet eating!

wch
04-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Japan- green onions in a soy sauce based cellophane noodle soup, served cold: it was supposed to be a cure for a hangover!

MaryB
04-03-2014, 01:20 AM
Get up in the morning and on the way to the bathroom grab a beer from the keg... friend passed out on the tap one night and flooded the middle of the old farmhouse floor(it sagged 2 inches...). Step in that totally hung over and barefoot... yes I had a few wild parties in my youth. We drilled a hole in the floor and drained it into the dirt floor basement. House stunk like beer for a year. That was our party house way out in the country with a 1/2 mile driveway with a gate we could lock. Collected keys, locked the gate and nobody left until the next day.

375RUGER
04-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Some weird gelatinous mass from a food court in Singapore. Fish was involved although I couldn't tell you what was in it, because sometimes you just don't ask "what's in it?".

RNT
04-19-2014, 05:06 AM
Years ago I used to go on long extended surf trips; mostly to Indonesia and the Southern Philippines. In the Philippines I would usually stay in a little fishing village that was way off the beaten track and in many ways untouched by the modern world. My landlady ran a small bakery in the village and took it upon herself to make sure I was well fed before I would head out to the reef for my morning surf. When her first batch of pandesal (a soft white buns like Mexican bolillos) came hot out of the oven (usually around 3:30 or 4:00 am); she would pound on the wall to wake me up let me know that breakfast was served. Her version of breakfast was the same everyday; a steaming cup of coffee (fresh roasted, hand ground native beans), a couple of hot pandesal and one or two balut.

Balut is a boiled duck egg with a developing embryo inside. She would incubate the eggs about three weeks before she cooked them so there definitely was a little birdie in there. Sounds gross but is actually pretty tasty.

woodsxdragon
04-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Grilled rainbow trout on bagels with strawberry cream cheese while camping.

glockmeister
04-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Dale in Louisiana, thanks for bringing back some very great memories. Your description of Cajun things and how to pronounce Cajun words is great. I had a friend when I went through Technical Instructors Course at Keesler AFB, Biloxi, Miss. Jimmy Goodeau, he spoke with a very thick Cajun accent, English was a second language for him, he did not speak English until he started school. He was great to be around, had lots of fun, lots of good stories. Again, thanks for the, for helping me remember the memories. Take care, John.

DLCTEX
04-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Calf brains and eggs with home made pork sausage

nanuk
06-16-2014, 06:03 AM
Mom made veal kidneys and scrambled eggs for breakfast every Sunday before church growing up. I like mine with the kidney cut small and well caramelized and the eggs loose. I hardly ever have it these days. Wife and daughter won't touch them and whine incessantly about the smell when I cook them. :-(

When I took my meatcutter's class in trade school, we were talking about Offals, and the instructor asked us if anyone didn't know how to cook kidney. My Mom was Polish/Ukrainian and never made them so I didn't have a clue..... so I put up my hand.

MT Gianni
06-16-2014, 09:41 AM
When I took my meatcutter's class in trade school, we were talking about Offals, and the instructor asked us if anyone didn't know how to cook kidney. My Mom was Polish/Ukrainian and never made them so I didn't have a clue..... so I put up my hand.

A friends mother always said to "boil the P#^% out of them".

jroc
06-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Hey winelover that wouldn't have been Harsens Island where you ate dem bullfrogs would it?

winelover
06-17-2014, 06:06 AM
Hey winelover that wouldn't have been Harsens Island where you ate dem bullfrogs would it?

That would be the place.

Winelover

jroc
06-17-2014, 06:14 PM
I guess I don't have anything as exotic as a lot of you guys but I eat something on occasion that I have never heard anybody else anywhere say they have eaten. When I was a kid my granny would take two pillows of shredded wheat in a bowl and pour boiling hot water on them let them set for a second and then press a saucer on top of them to get all the water out put two gobs of butter on them then put 2 or 3 eggs over easy on top add salt and pepper and mash it up. I still make this once every couple of weeks or once a month. It may not sound good but it is.

jroc
06-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Hey winelover you wouldn't believe Harsens Island today. High Rent District now. I shot a lot of ducks and geese out there in the day.

DeanWinchester
06-17-2014, 06:20 PM
Wheat Thins and beer. It was the ONLY thing edible in the house. Back in the days of being single, broke, carefree and careless.
My wife laughs but I've actually stopped and put 35¢ worth of gas in my old Caprice Classic I drove. At $2/gallon, it wasn't much but I made it to the top of the hill less than a half mile from work. Almost made it in the driveway coasting too! Only had to push the thing a dozen yards or so.

It wasn't a singularly unique experience either. Breakfast, or coasting in to work. LOL!

Grendl
06-17-2014, 06:57 PM
Creamed bacos on Melba toast , during a backpacking venture on the north country trail in the seventies. It was pretty disgusting

Bullshop
06-17-2014, 07:20 PM
I once worked on a floating salmon processing ship. We had a Dutch cook on this ship. I once asked him to make some salmon eggs for breakfast because I like them and we had lots of them. He suggested I try the white ones. I told him I had never seen white salmon eggs. He said the white ones from the male salmon.
He cooked them and I ate them and they were good and I would eat them again.

At the Stockman's café in Missoula years ago they used to serve brains and eggs. The call phrase from the waitress to the cook for an order of brains and eggs was """ HE NEEDS UM"""

Sweetpea
06-17-2014, 07:45 PM
I once worked on a floating salmon processing ship. We had a Dutch cook on this ship. I once asked him to make some salmon eggs for breakfast because I like them and we had lots of them. He suggested I try the white ones. I told him I had never seen white salmon eggs. He said the white ones from the male salmon.
He cooked them and I ate them and they were good and I would eat them again.

At the Stockman's café in Missoula years ago they used to serve brains and eggs. The call phrase from the waitress to the cook for an order of brains and eggs was """ HE NEEDS UM"""

UMMMMM....

You ate the tadpoles?:shock:

Bullshop
06-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Well yea I guess. Haven't you ever eaten rocky mountain oysters? I have and they are good I just didn't eat them for breakfast like the OP asked.
I used to go to a shindig down by Salmon Idaho called "the Rocky mountain testical festival" The locals would get together and have a big rocky mountain oyster pot luck. There was a whole table of different oyster recipes and all darn good too.
Sounds strange and I did fight the feeling at first but after trying them I am now a regular consumer.
Waste not want not ya know.

Sweetpea
06-17-2014, 10:38 PM
I was always taught that guts stay in the gut pile...:veryconfu

Bullshop
06-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Not here. We eat heart, liver, kidney, and tongue. We are not crude enough to eat the brains though, yet.
My wife cracks and cooks the large bones for stock, then she cans the stock.

Bullshop Junior
06-18-2014, 12:33 AM
Ive had RMO and they are ok. Probably better ways to cook them then cutting them right from the bull and throwing them in the fire pit till they look done.

I don't like liver though.

Bad Water Bill
06-18-2014, 02:39 AM
I don't like liver though.

Neither did I till I learned to put it in a soup bowl over night covered with milk.

Replace the milk in the AM.

Pour off the milk then POUR the liver into your favorite utensil.

Add your favorite spices and grease and eat as soon as the color changes.

The milk removes the usual flavor and makes it so tender you can not pick it out of the bowl as it will simply fall apart.

Great served with fried onion rings chopped bacon, Mashed potatoes fresh ears of corn and buttered biscuits.

M M GOOD :grin:

MT Gianni
06-18-2014, 09:22 AM
Well yea I guess. Haven't you ever eaten rocky mountain oysters? I have and they are good I just didn't eat them for breakfast like the OP asked.
I used to go to a shindig down by Salmon Idaho called "the Rocky mountain testical festival" The locals would get together and have a big rocky mountain oyster pot luck. There was a whole table of different oyster recipes and all darn good too.
Sounds strange and I did fight the feeling at first but after trying them I am now a regular consumer.
Waste not want not ya know.

Dan, I think that was the OX, Oxford Cafe. I ate that a few times my self.

M-Tecs
06-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Milk works good but buttermilk works better.

Bullshop Junior
06-18-2014, 09:29 AM
What works better?

DeanWinchester
06-18-2014, 09:47 AM
I was always taught that guts stay in the gut pile...:veryconfu

AMEN!!!
My ancestors didn't claw their way to the top of the food chain so I could eat garbage.
Kidneys and liver, vomit. You can keep your refuse filters, cause that's all kidneys and liver really are, the body's natural fuel filters. I'll stick to backstrap and tenderloin.

Bullshop
06-18-2014, 10:48 AM
Dan, I think that was the OX, Oxford Cafe. I ate that a few times my self.

Gianni you are probably right. I have not been there for about 30 years and my memory has not improved in that time.
When you ordered did you hear the waitress say the code for an order of B&E, "" HE NEEDS UM"" ?

M-Tecs
06-18-2014, 10:55 AM
What works better?

Space aliens must have abducted my "buttermilk" edited to correct.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5868006_use-buttermilk-beef-tenderizer.html

The Dove
06-18-2014, 06:16 PM
My ancestors didn't claw their way to the top of the food chain so I could eat garbage.
Kidneys and liver, vomit. You can keep your refuse filters, cause that's all kidneys and liver really are, the body's natural fuel filters. I'll stick to backstrap and tenderloin.

I agree whole heartedly. But, when it comes to flavor/texture and taste, my ancestors tasted all parts and made them (or more accurately, some of them) very good meals. Therefore, I shall try and enjoy them just as they did. Kind of like the black powder rifles that they used.......

JMHO

The Dove

R.M.
06-18-2014, 06:24 PM
The biggest mistake people make, is overcooking liver. Makes it tougher than boot-leather.

PS Paul
06-18-2014, 06:30 PM
As a Scotsman, every Sunday we enjoyed black pudding. It's a sausage made from straining the blood and bits from butchering a pig, adding some spices/herbs and stuffing into a natural casing.

once we came to America, relatives would bring of ship some to our family from Glasgow, but it is VERY difficult to find a good one in the US that meets the quality of good Scottish black pudding. A store in Portland, OR used to sell the good ones, but long since closed up shop and I'm yet to find another in Puget Sound that's nearly as good.
Wife and kids won't touch the stuff! He he

MT Gianni
06-18-2014, 11:09 PM
Gianni you are probably right. I have not been there for about 30 years and my memory has not improved in that time.
When you ordered did you hear the waitress say the code for an order of B&E, "" HE NEEDS UM"" ?
Your memory was right on with that remark Dan. I believe they no longer serve brains, need em or not.

TXGunNut
06-19-2014, 09:42 PM
I like venison liver, just not for breakfast. Strangest breakfast would probably be a Bloody Mary. It's a tradition on my brother's deer lease, bar opens briefly after the morning hunt. Had to try it once.

MaryB
06-20-2014, 12:28 AM
Beer bloody mary was a common deer weekend breakfast after sitting in the stand all morning. Came in at 10, bacon, eggs, one beer max, back out to walk abandoned groves to jump deer.

TXGunNut
06-21-2014, 10:39 AM
We're not aggresive enough hunters to do a midday hunt so the ETOH from one drink isn't a problem. Generally plenty to do around camp after brunch, if I have a critter to butcher I drink coffee. ;-)

attrapereves
07-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Turkish breakfast is pretty different, but delicious.

http://www.turkishcuisine.eu/turkish-food/kahvalti5.JPG

virtualhabitat
09-01-2014, 02:28 PM
My wife grew up in Kerala, India (far Southern India). This is what we eat for breakfast. Uppama (grains and veggies sputtered in spicy coconut oil), Raita (spicy yogurt), and Kadala curry (the chickpeas)

MaryB
09-01-2014, 11:21 PM
One Scottish meal I cannot handle.... haggis :-?

johnson1942
09-02-2014, 10:25 PM
for the first 7 years of my life we lived with my norwegian grandparents in a norwegian communtiy on a farm in n.dak. it never varied. piles of toast made from home made bread. sour crean from our own cows. cover the toast with sour cream and cover that with home made jam or honey. never got over that, as a matter of fact i had that for lunch today. i remember once we went through a 5 gallon pail of honey in a very short time. if your norwegian you have to love sour cream.

rush1886
09-03-2014, 08:41 AM
Yep... that raging thirst in the morning....

"How can I be so thirsty, when I had so much to drink last night?"

Just HOPE that no one dropped a cigarette butt into whatever you're about to drink...... been there, paid the price (if you weren't sick BEFORE the butt hits yer lips, you WILL be sick shortly afterward...)

No effort to upstage here, but allow me to go one better. Back in the day, along with a couple of friends (?) the local jackpot rodeo circuit was our weekend normal. Our weekend larder consisted of beer, Fritos and Copenhagen. It's difficult to describe the sensation achieved, when you grab a beer can, expecting the normal barley and hops flavor, and instead run head on into the can one of your compadres was expelling Copenhagen into, the previous night.

longhorn
09-04-2014, 07:19 PM
A Bloody Mary (even alone) unusual? I've clearly led a dissolute life...........and have had some awful role models!

Lloyd Smale
09-12-2014, 06:14 AM
Id dont think it was as much that they were goremets looking for tastes and textures as it was that they were dammed hungry and couldnt afford to waste anything that was protein. They found ways to make guts organs eatable. Id bet not to many of them that did wouldnt have agreed that the back straps were better. Me i dont eat guts or organs either. Why? Because i dont have to.[smilie=w:
I agree whole heartedly. But, when it comes to flavor/texture and taste, my ancestors tasted all parts and made them (or more accurately, some of them) very good meals. Therefore, I shall try and enjoy them just as they did. Kind of like the black powder rifles that they used.......

JMHO

The Dove

Pinsnscrews
09-16-2014, 06:43 PM
My Ex Father in Law tried to get me drunk enough for Balut for breakfast...Him, his brother and I polished off 3 bottles of Filipino Rum, and 2 cases of San Miguel brought back from PI...he STILL couldn't get me to eat it...