PDA

View Full Version : Can the problems with the short neck of a Vetterli round be avoided?

Paul Tummers
03-23-2014, 09:35 AM
It took me some trouble and time to get one in the condition I would like it, but now I have a Vetterli Stutzer with set trigger in a mechanical condition one only can describe as " New".
I got 2 bolts with the rifle, one in original rimfire configuration and the other one is converted to center fire.
Now about why i did open this tread;
The Vetterli case should have a length of 38 mm and has a neck length which causes trouble in seating a bullet firmly.
I made a cerrosafe chamber/throat casting and it looks like the is a lot more room in that throat so why not make those cases 42 mm long with a firm crimp to get rid of that problem?
There is no " Step" in the chamber that possibly could cause any problems, just a very generous conical lead to the rifling that also starts from shallow to its exact deepness.
I still have to wait for the Lee dies and their mold, but would like to hear what you more experienced Vetterli owners think about this.

stephenj
03-23-2014, 07:15 PM
As designed the short neck isnt an issue .
Origonal ammo uses a heeled bullet .. with the short heel there is no need for any longer neck

The problems you will find with using a longer case is an over all lenght issue
And feeding threw the henry style elevater .
And chambering / bullet release issues .

I use a 330 grain solid base heeled bullet in my 69/71 vet .
It solves all of any potentiol problems and shoots like a champ .

But custom molds might not be as easy to get in the netherlands

Paul Tummers
03-23-2014, 08:31 PM
Yes, custom molds are indeed a problem over here, like almost everything concerning shooting; this country is not a shooting nation.
What kind of problems can I expect when I still keep the OAL on specs with the longer neck?

stephenj
03-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Thr biggest problem you will run into with a tight chamber
Is after seating bullets you wont be able to fully chamber your round
Because the dia of the loaded round is to fat for the chamber .

This can also lead to over pressure problems if it does chamber
But is to tight to allow the case to release the bullets .
Most solve this issue by shortining up the cases .
Then its back to feed issues in the elevator .

But if you have a looser chamber you wont have any problems

Paul Tummers
03-23-2014, 09:55 PM
I will have to wait until I have my dies, form a case from annealed .348W brass and measure the outside of the neck at different places and compare the results with the measures I can take from my Cerrosafe chamber cast?

stephenj
03-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Yes sir ... the chamber cast will tell you every thing .

I prefer the ppu 8mm lebel brass over the .348 w myself
Just because it requires less work .. my chamber is tight
And 348 cases need turned down at the case web to chamber
And the rim is slightly larger .

Paul Tummers
03-24-2014, 05:12 AM
Looks like I have a wide chamber then; the rim of the .348 fits in its recess and the web of the.348 is exactly the same diameter as my chamber cast, encouraging thus far!

Nobade
03-24-2014, 07:42 AM
In my own Vetterli rifle, I decided what diameter I wanted the boolits to be and then trimmed the cases until the inside diameter was a correct fit. They are considerably longer than they are supposed to be, but this way I don't need to use any dies to reload the cases. They are already the right size after being fired.

-Nobade

Old Iron Sights
03-24-2014, 11:14 AM
I had an easy time getting a good fit with 348 cases and the lee "flying brick" mold in my 78 but these won't chamber in my new 69/71. Think I need a chamber cast and maybe a sizer or new mold.

stephenj
03-24-2014, 08:15 PM
I had an easy time getting a good fit with 348 cases and the lee "flying brick" mold in my 78 but these won't chamber in my new 69/71. Think I need a chamber cast and maybe a sizer or new mold.

If you dont have a large supply of .348 cases already and dont mind buying more
Try the ppu 8mm lebel . They are a bit cheaper and you wont have to turn down the cases to get them to chamber grafs show them in stock ... and i have found ppu to be very good quality nrass . .

The only draw back to the ppu is you will need to buy a 8mm lebel
Shell holder as the rim is a tiny smidge to big for the .348 shell holder

If you like i have a single solitary case i never finished that is just waiting
To be fire formed and trimmed down to lenght that i can send you .
Along with a few of my heeled bullets to try out .

Paul Tummers
03-24-2014, 09:07 PM
Would be nice, Thank You! please do let me know how to settle the bill, preferably PayPal because I do not have a credit card and my bank account is coupled to my PayPal account

stephenj
03-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Paul .

I had meant the offer for old iron sights .
However ... i dont mind a bit sending you some boolits to try out .
Provided it isnt cost prohibitive to send them to the netherlands .
I dont know if it would be an issue to include a case or two with the lead .
That would be entirely up to you .

If you can pm me your mailing adress i can see what it would cost to ship a 5-6 pound box to you

jhrosier
03-24-2014, 09:33 PM
Paul,

There is some information in this thread that might be useful:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?21917-Vetterli-centerfire-conversion&highlight=

Jack

Wayne Smith
03-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Will Bernie at Old West Molds ship overseas? He would be the logical one for a heeled boolit.

stephenj
03-25-2014, 08:09 PM
Bernie is who did my mold .... i love it

Paul Tummers
03-25-2014, 08:39 PM
I am sorry I overlooked that! Of course I would love to have 2 of those cases, Have a 100 of the 348W lying around for some years now,left-overs from another project, but it is always nice to compare and find out what is the best way to go in future. My email-adress is no secret ;
paultummers1951@hotmail.com

Regards,

Paul T.

Paul .

I had meant the offer for old iron sights .
However ... i dont mind a bit sending you some boolits to try out .
Provided it isnt cost prohibitive to send them to the netherlands .
I dont know if it would be an issue to include a case or two with the lead .
That would be entirely up to you .

If you can pm me your mailing adress i can see what it would cost to ship a 5-6 pound box to you