PDA

View Full Version : Henry .44 COAL with Saeco #429 mold and crimp?

10mmShooter
03-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Hello Gentlemen,

Can someone with Henry .44 experience, give me a good starting point for overall cartridge length, I'm loading the Saeco #429 lead flat nose bullet, I understand the Henry's are a bit sensitive about cartridge length. I'm wanting to get some loaded up and get to the range:bigsmyl2:

Also I'm loading "target" loads with 7.0g of Green Dot, out of my 629 revolvers(8 3/8) that's about 950fps for 240g cast bullet. In my Smith revolvers I apply only the slightest of roll crimp with 7g of Green Dot loads, heavy crimp is just not needed at such a low load and relatively fast burning green dot.

I understand in the tube magazine I'll need a good crimp.....but again at 950fps with only a 240g bullet....really how heavy crimp??

..would I be safe with a moderate roll crimp...meaning barely noticeable (I use Redding crimp dies in a separate operation from seating.) I try and post some pics later

thanks

Slow Elk 45/70
03-25-2014, 04:14 AM
You need enough roll crimp in the tubular mag to keep the recoil from pushing the boolits down in the casing, load a few and try them out, a medium crimp should do for the mouse F... loads...just kidding...Jim