PDA

View Full Version : Hawes Firearms Western Marshall

6bg6ga
03-23-2014, 07:30 AM

Well I may have committed the blunder of all times but I saw a used Western Marshall 357 mag with a 6.5 " barrel for $325 so I bought it.

Are they any good? Looks like it was made in 1967

Trey45
03-23-2014, 07:47 AM
They seem to have good reviews from what I have read about them. They also seem to have a small cult like following. Those who have owned them wish they had never sold them, those that currently own them love them and won't sell them. Sort of like the Virginia Dragoons of years gone by, they had a similar following and reputation. Not exactly a well known breed of 6 gun, but they commanded respect from those who owned them. I saw a Hawes (made by Sauer and son if I recall correctly) for sale that wasn't as pretty as the one you have with a $400 price tag. I think you got a good deal. I'm curious how yours shoots, so please keep us in the loop.

6bg6ga
03-23-2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the information. For years I never owned a wheel gun. As a child I watched my father put together a Great Western 45LC. When he passed away my brother purchased all his guns and shot the 45 until the bolt broke. I got the Great Western from him and it started me down the wheel gun road. Yesterday I also purchased a mint S&W 25-5 45LC. Two guns in one day and wife has no problem with this.

I have what I believe is supposed to be a good bullet for the 357 and that is a 158gr semi wad cutter from Magma. I believe it to be the Elmer Keith design but I may be mistaken. If it is I hope I can work up an accurate load for the old girl.

I hope there is enough girth on the old girl to make her pleasant to shoot. If you have a good load I would be interested in trying it.

Vulcan Bob
03-23-2014, 01:26 PM
I have one in .44 Mag and do like it. Built like a tank and shoots well. Only two problems with it, shoots about four inch's high at 25 yards and with hot loads the base pin will fly out. Spent the better part of an hour trying to find it the first time it happened. I bought some extra power latch pin springs to solve the same problem with a few Rugers and am going to see if the spring will fit the Hawes. The grip frame and ejector rod houseing on these are anodized aluminum and mine had some wear on em. I removed the grip frame and ejector rod housing and polished them out to a bright natural finish and reinstalled, I like the look. Enjoy yours!

DougGuy
03-23-2014, 01:31 PM
I thought the Hawes was built by Great Western. Really nice looking six shooter!

tygar
03-23-2014, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=6bg6ga
Well I may have committed the blunder of all times but I saw a used Western Marshall 357 mag with a 6.5 " barrel for $325 so I bought it.

Are they any good? Looks like it was made in 1967[/QUOTE]

I had one back in the 60s & don't remember having any problems at all. I think mine was 45 but not sure.

MostlyLeverGuns
03-23-2014, 06:57 PM
I had a Hawes Montana Marshal in .45 Colt with a .45 ACP cylinder. It was one I wish I still had. I found it more accurate than a '3-screw' Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt/.45ACP I acquired later. I never missed the Ruger but I would like to have the Hawes back. It was made in Germany by Sauer & Son.

lar45
03-24-2014, 11:12 PM
I have one in 357, got it for $125 :) The shop where I bought it said that the barrel was shot out, but it shoots fine for me. I even took a small Mulie with it. The person before me tried to do a trigger job on it without knowing what they were doing. They stoned the hammer sear down so when you pulled the trigger lightly the half cock notch would bounce off of the trigger and not have enough energy to light off a primer most times. It's working 100% now.

rintinglen
03-25-2014, 02:15 PM
J. P. Sauer and Son made the Hawes line back when Dollars still had value. They were very good guns for the money. I had one in 22 for a while but sold it, along with a bunch of other toys, when my daughters came along--anyone who thinks shooting is an expensive hobby should try parenting.

Doc1
03-25-2014, 06:20 PM
J.P. Sauer & Sohn (son) was the German firm that made the Hawes and Herters revolvers in .357 and .44 Mag. I believe they also made some of the smaller revolvers, but think other firms did, too. J.P Sauer & Sohn was later bought and combined with another firm to become Sig Sauer. I have two of the J.P. Sauer .44 Magnums. One is a Hawes "Chief Marshall" and the other is a Herters Single Six. They are nearly identical, but there are a few differences. Both are extremely well-made, strong revolvers. The Hawes has an alloy grip frame and the Herters is all steel.

I don't normally load very hot, though I have two revolvers I sometimes push the top of the manuals with. They are my .357 Ruger GP 100 and my Ruger Super Blackhawk. There is nothing I feed the Super Blackhawk that I'd be afraid to run through either of my J.P. Sauers! They exhibit fine, German craftsmanship and lock up as tight as a bank vault. The Herters is nearly mint, so while I shoot it, I take especially good care of it. The Hawes is a working gun that's seen a lot of holster time. That's the revolver I'm inclined to grab if I think I'll be in marsh mud, bad weather or any use that'll be hard on its finish.

Best regards
Doc

6bg6ga
03-26-2014, 06:02 AM
I thought the Hawes was built by Great Western. Really nice looking six shooter!

The Western Marshall was built by J.P. Sauer and Sons and marketed by Hawes. The Great Western was built by Great Western with the first ones using a lot of Colt parts purchased from Colt. The Great Western was marketed by Hy Hunter. ALL GREAT WESTERN FIREARMS were built in the United States.

Strike one for Great Western was Elmer Keith's Review of the Great Western. Strike two was Ruger's introduction of the Blackhawk single action in 1955. Strike three was Colts 1956 announcement that they would bring back the SAA after facing red ink from the cancellation of Korean War Contracts.

I have a great western in 45LC very low serial number.