PDA

View Full Version : Dupont when they went Boom Boom in pic

Just Duke
03-22-2014, 11:33 PM
There were 288 boom booms in the DuPont Company Black Powder Yards on the Brandywine between 1802 and 1921 resulting in 228 deaths.

http://www.historypin.com/attach/uid32851/tours/view/id/945/title/Explosions%20in%20the%20DuPont%20Company%20Black%2 0Powder%20Yards

CanoeRoller
03-22-2014, 11:46 PM
That is very interesting, thank you for posting. Image number 25 looks like my son's bedroom. I thought he was just sloppy, now I can see he must have got his hands on some BP.

Just Duke
03-22-2014, 11:51 PM
Bainbridge Island Wa. I wish I was back there.

CanoeRoller
03-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Toward the end of winter, did you find yourself jealous of the Pilsbury Doughboy's tan? I do.

John Boy
03-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Duke - very interesting link. Here's some more history about DuPont gunpowder:
Berlin Black Powder Plant at Moosic, PA

Belin Plant History.

Construction of the du Pont’s Belin plant began in 1908 and produced the first batch of black powder in 1912.
The Belin plant replaced the original black powder plant located a few miles north of Wilmington, DE and the du Pont black powder plant then located at Wapwallopen, PA. The Wapwallopen plant had originally been constructed by Parrish, Silver & Company and had been purchased by du Pont just before the Civil War.
These plants had served the anthracite coal mines that stretched in a belt from Scranton, PA westward to Shamokin, PA.
When the Belin plant began to produce black powder in quantity, du Pont closed both the Wapwallopen, PA and the Wilmington, DE powder plants.
In addition to the Belin plant, du Pont also operated black powder plants at Sycamore, Tennessee, Mooar, Iowa and Carney’s Point, New Jersey.
By the 1960's, only the Belin plant continued to produce black powder which left it as the only operating black powder plant in the U.S.

As the war in Viet Nam wound down, du Pont decided that the black powder business no longer fit into there business structure. It was then decided to either close the plant or sell it to another company.

In 1972, du Pont sold the Belin Plant to Gearhart-Owen along with du Pont’s powder making “technology”. The “technology” being du Pont’s methods and standards used in the process of manufacturing various types of black powder used for various applications.