PDA

View Full Version : Hornaday Pro jector progressive Junk or Jewel?

JBMauser
12-28-2007, 12:27 AM
The old handloader digest review say it is the best thing since sliced bread, they say the same thing about the Lee 1000 which causes me fits. I have a chance to pick up a used one that needs a few parts which I think I can still get from Hornaday. Any negitives, what is a used one worth. New model L&L is $300 or so. Massive press. over built. is this easy to convert to diff cals or is it a set it up and leave it deal. Dillon's deal is quick change with all settings in place. This is a unscrew everything deal. Coments of user knowledge requested. Thanks, JB

omgb
12-28-2007, 01:42 AM
The Projector is a second generation press with all of the inherant bugs. Before I tell you why not to buy one, let me first tell you that i 1. have one, 2. have two L-N-L presses one with a case feeder and 3. have used both the RCBS and the Dillon machines.

The Projector has a real lousy primer feed system for which parts are no longer available. The primer tubes are brass and Hornady doesn't carry them any more ... too danged expensive. No parts are available for any part of the priming system ..zip.

The shell plates do interchange with the L-N-L plates but, the LNL plates are radiused for more reliable function and ejection.

The case ejector is weak and difficult to keep adjusted. The new system is completely different and not readily adaptable

The timing system leaves a lot to be desired and is not exactly like the new.

The ram is not interchangable with the new.

The new L-N-L system is faster to change over than either the Dillon or the RCBS

The new case-activated powder system is much superior to the older system.

I found my #2 L-N-L here and it was less than $300 complete with dies. You can do better than either the Projector or the Pro 7. Save your money and buy the L-N-L

JBMauser
12-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Thank you for an excellent review. I will pass on this press. JB

James Wisner
12-28-2007, 12:15 PM
I have used two Projecters now for about 14 years. One is a pro 7 that Hornady upgraded years ago.

I have one set up for small primers and the other set up for Large primers, THIS saves a lot of time with the priming system and any adjustments.

I have about 15,000 rounds thru the one set up for the small primers and about 8,000 thru the one set up for the large primers. Since I have two presses, I have enough spare parts to last me.

The only real things I have to watch on the old presses is the toggle pin in the bottom of the ram will move out every so often.
The case ejector will get bent from time to time, Had a batch of 9mm last month that one brand would not fit the shell plate or when they did they would not eject.
The rim cut was about .004" large and would hang in the plate.
The two cam arms?? in the toggle will get their set screws worked loose.

So I have simply gotten to every 300 rounds to check those screws and the toggle pin, clean the shell plate with a brush,( loose powder) and then keep reloading.

I have been wanting to look at the new LNL but there is no one in my area that carrys them. Plus talking the wife into buying another reloading press would be very hard.

The new LNL press with a case feed and the new primer system would be nice.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

BD
12-28-2007, 03:10 PM
I've been loading all of my .45 acp on a dedicated old Pro-Jector for about ten years. This was not a new press when I bought it and I've loaded something over 75,000 rounds on it since I've had it. It shows no real wear although I've replaced the little springs a few times.

These presses can be useful as dedicated machines, and Hornady has happily supplied any parts I've ever asked for. The design has some flaws which can be dealt with, and one which is beyond help, (the indexing system). The parts which are particular to the press are very rugged. All of the other parts are easily made. Once the fixes have been made, and the fine tuning done, A projector makes a very durable and dependable press. I clean and oil mine about every 10,000 rounds and replace the springs every other year or so.

IMHO a properly tuned Pro-Jector primer system with a redesigned actuator arm is about 500 times as reliable as Dillons system. I experience about one primer screw up per 1,000, way better than any 650 I've used. I bought the case activated powder drop to upgrade mine, but I took it back off. The simple rod activated by the ram is very reliable, and it cannot drop a double charge unless you go out of your way to manually reverse the shell plate. I prefer a squib to a double charge if I'm gonna have a malfunction :)

I'd buy another Pro-Jector for $100 in a heartbeat, specially if it had the small primer parts. Anything over $200 I'd pass on it and get the L-N-L which so far seems to have a better indexing system. I've heard of some issues with the L-N-L ejector wire though.
BD

Morgan Astorbilt
12-28-2007, 03:26 PM
I've modified my ProJector in two ways.
1- I've changed the primer feed tube so that It no longer has to be removed from the press to load it. I machined a top cap on the style of the Dillon, added a Dillon low primer warning and primer follower, and charge it with Dillon primer pick up tubes.

2- After accidentally dumping a load of powder into the press, I replaced the ram operated powder measure with their case activated linkage, but the high pressure needed to operate it, was more than the thin case necks of the .38-40 brass I was loading, could take. I got around this by replacing the Hornady powder measure with a Dillon, complete with Dillon powder die.

3- Added a counter, as I have on all my progressive presses.

Haven't had any problems since.
Morgan

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/100_1813.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/100_1814.jpg

BD
12-28-2007, 04:16 PM
My mods include:

Clearance under the "mouth" of the primer tube support block so that primers with high anvils don't trip on the way out.

Moving the hole the primer feed return spring fits into on the primer arm so it doesn't pinch on it's mount.

Replacing the flat stock part mounted to the ram which activates the primer arm with one which has a much longer angle cut on the end. This slows the motion of the primer arm 400% so it doesn't "snap" against the ram. It just needs to get there in time, it doesn't need to travel at warp speed doing so. This solves 99% of primer issues on this press.

chamfered the rear of the indexing slots on the bottom of the indexing plate at the lower end of the ram. This allows you to use the full adjustment range of the little indexing plungers without them hanging up on the back side of their little slots.

replacing the powder measure return spring with a stouter spring to help prevent squibs caused by the powder measure hanging up.

I probably spent about 4 hours total slicking this press up 10 years ago. I'd guess I've spent about 250 to 300 hours loading on the thing since then. I will occasionally space out that I've removed a split case and drop a powder charge into the works. I just blow it out of there and take that as a sign that it's time to do something which requires less focus.
BD

Morgan Astorbilt
12-28-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks, BD, I'm definitely going to file those changes away.
How about that Hornady case activated powder measure modification?, a real Rube Goldberg!! Clever, but poor leverage.

I shoot rifle in .38-40 in Cowboy Action, and only started on this because of Dillon's refusal to bring out the Square Deal in .38-40. They have it in .44-40, but claim it won't work in .38-40 due to the bottleneck. ??? The difference is between a .40 cal bullet, and a .428 cal(.028"). I almost bought an SDB in .44-40, to replace some die parts with the 10mm. parts I have, and maybe machining a part or two, but had the Pro-Jector, in .45acp, and decided to use it.
Morgan

JBMauser
12-30-2007, 12:26 AM
I am impressed by some of the modifications you all have made, I don't know whithout haveing the press in front of me exactly what they are and I don't know if I can make the changes needed. I am up to a challenge though and if the price is a can't refuse I may grab it and come back for more deatiled questions. I need another project like I need a hole in the head, Must have a dozen of them barking for attention /completion. Thanks guys for hte great info. JB

Tom-n8ies
12-30-2007, 12:36 AM
Mine started out as a pro 7 when they first came out, last year it was sent to Hornady to be transformed into a Projector. It came back fully adjusted and working very smooth.
It came originaly with a manual type powder measurer adapter that you could screw in any powder measurer with 7/8 14 thread, I did not care for it. About the same time I got the press Lee came out with their Auto disk measurer, I just knew the two were made for each other. I load mostly pistol anyway and it is so easy to use even a caveman can do it.
I also have a Lee classic turret that I use for small batches and to size and prime cases then finish them on the Projector. This is what my set up looks like. I just finished loading over 500 45 acp's with 200 lead swc and 5.1 grains of 452AA that I have had around for 30+ years.

Maybe we can have a messy reloading bench contest?

tom

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s121/n8ies/m_PICT0053.jpg

BD
12-30-2007, 12:54 PM
JB, a dremel tool, a drill of some sort and a grinder are the tools needed. I could pull mine down for a cleaning and take pics of the mods. Or, if it's under $100 buy it and I'll take it off your hands if it's got the small primer set up parts.

I like having dedicated presses set up to go. I'd set one up for .38/.357 to sit next to the one I use for .45 acp.
BD

Tom-n8ies
12-30-2007, 12:57 PM
I would also be interested in the mods pictures.

thanks

tom

standles
12-30-2007, 07:22 PM
I will fall on the side of junk. Now of course that was 6 years ago but I GAVE MINE AWAY and bought a dillon. 550 and later a dillon 1050. Never had any issues and works alot better.

The Hornady actually frustrated me enough that I hated to go to the reloading bench. Even after a trip back to hornady for "tuning" at my expense (shipping both ways and 50.00) it still sucked.

Oh well just my 2 cents. I could have had a lemon but I would have figured Hornady would have fixed that when I sent it in.

Steven

BD
01-02-2008, 07:17 AM
I took some quick pix yesterday of the mods to my Pro-Jector. I'll try and get them posted this week. I think mine probably came from from a guy like Steven as it showed very little use when I got it, and it was cheap. Without a few basic modifications I could understand how one of these could tolerance stack in a direction which would make it very frustrating to get set up to run smoothly.
BD

BD
01-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Here's the pics:

This one is the primer arm actuator:

BD
01-02-2008, 05:43 PM
This one is the relief "ramps" ground into the exits of the indexing slots on the bottom of the ram. This mod allows you to adjust the little plungers up farther without having them catch on the back of their slots. Looks like it's time for me to smear a little grease down there, and put in a new split pin. The split pin will deform over time. This one's been in there about 5 years. You can see the end of the primer drop tube in back of the index plate.

BD
01-02-2008, 05:46 PM
This shows the extra clearance at the mouth of the primer feed so primers with high anvils don't hit the "roof" and flip on the way out.

BD
01-02-2008, 05:53 PM
This shows two thirds of the high tech extra equipment you need to make to use this press efficiently:

A short piece of thick wooden dowel cut to the length required to hold up the ram while you reload the primer tube,

And a 1/8" dowel which rides the primers down the tube. This serves 3 purposes: It keeps the primers feeding even if the tube gets dirty, A mark on the dowel warns you when primers get low, And the dowel drops through the bottom and ties up the primer arm when your out.

Third piece of high tech gear needed is a bent paper clip to hold the primers in place while you invert the tube to load it.

Is there a sticky someplace which explains how to post all the pics in one post with commentary in between?

omgb
01-02-2008, 07:45 PM
FWIW, the Dillon Low Primer device will work witht he Hornady. You have to shorten the Dillon shaft by about an inch or so and you have to wrap some tape around the dillon's sleeve where it fits into the primer shield. No biggie and it works sli9ck

Morgan Astorbilt
01-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I machined an aluminum cap to fit the top of the primer tubes. This fit the low primer alarm, and was chamfered on top so that Dillon pick up tubes could be used to load it. This removed the need to remove the primer magazine to load it.

BD, Is the piece with the indexing slots hardened? If I have to remove the piece to do the job, can I cut the relief angles on my Bridgeport with a carbide end mill? If not necessary to remove, I assume I should be able to get at it with a Foredom or Dremel tool, without removing the press from the bench. The Bridgeport will do a much neater job.
Morgan

BD
01-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Morgan, I don't believe that the disk with the indexing slots is hardened. I removed mine and relieved it with a dremel. I'm certainly no machinist, but I'd think a machinist could do a much nicer job. You also will want to have a look at/replace the split pin because if it is deformed it makes it very tough to get the timing right. The whole indexing/timing setup on the Pro-Jector is the major flaw in it's design. Being a yankee at heart I think I'll stick with my current low primer warning system as the price was right :)
BD

AnthonyB
01-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Fellas, I need to buy/trade for a small primer tube for the Projector. Anyone have one to spare?
Tony

BD
01-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Sorry, I'm still looking for one for my press. I bought it used without the small primer seater or tube.
BD

Winger Ed.
01-12-2008, 12:56 AM
I bought it used without the small primer seater or tube.
BD

It might not be too hard to make one.
The Alum. tube from a RCBS primer thingy is just a little too fat to slide into the steel protector tube on the Hornady Pro-Jector. A little sanding and it'd fit.

Hardware and RC Model shops sell brass tubing in short lengths.
For the seating stem: Make the stem from a machine screw.
It doesn't have to look exactly like the original, just flat on top, and the right length.
With a little section of brass tubing, make a bushing to go inside the large primer
seater sleeve to compensate for the smaller diameter seating stem.
(brass tubing can be cut with a pocket knief by rolling the edge on the tubing.
Its sort of backwards of a regular tubing cutter, but makes a clean cut)

Morgan Astorbilt
01-12-2008, 11:32 AM
I made one years ago, for large primers using the cup out of a battery cup shotshell primer. It's the perfect shape, having the bottom to bear on the spring. If memory serves me, I think I had to expand it a bit with a punch, for the primers to fit, drill out the flash hole for the screw, and grind off the bit of a flare they have. They're steel, and when the copper plating is polished off, take a nice cold blue.They may be just the right diameter for small primers, or needed, you could tighten it up by driving it into a hole you've drilled into piece of steel.
Morgan

38super
11-03-2008, 07:55 AM
Hi Guys

I seem to have stumbled upon the Hornady Pro-jector club! :-D

I have one, but have a problem: The Spent Primer tube is blocked up and I can't get the primers out, and thus cannot load. How do I take the spent primer tube out of the press?? I have tried everything, short of taking a hacksaw and cutting it off. I need to load 600 rounds by Wednesday for this weekend's shooting session.

Please help if you can!!

Thanks

Morgan Astorbilt
11-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Can you get a piece of wire shirt hanger in from the bottom?
Morgan

38super
11-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Hi Morgan

I tried that. No luck. Jammed solid. Just got a email from Bob. He says the tube is press fitted, so I should be able to pull it out and just puch it back in again. Will try that this evening. Let's hope it works! :-?

Hardcast416taylor
11-03-2008, 10:52 PM
I started out with a Pro 7 in .38 spcl. I added other pistol cals. later I sent the press back when I couldn`t straighten out the timing, they upgraded it to Pro-jector at no cost for my problems. The mods I did was to REMOVE the priming assembly and the cartridge kicker. I have a dedicated press now that sits a few feet away from my Rock Chucker. I have, and still do, load everything from .32 auto up to .458 mag. with no problems after goodness knows how many thousands of rounds loaded. I wore out their first attempt at auto powder charging and have never added any other type on the press. When I was into PPC shooting, back in my salad days, I re-loaded 23,000 rounds of .38 spcl. with Lyman 148 gr. WC slugs I also cast in 1 yr.! I kept track by keeping the empty primer "brick" boxes in a corner. So I prime off press, hand drop the powder and remove loaded rounds. I just dom`t trust the primers in a tube just a few feet from my face. Oh I know it`s supposed to be safer now, but I`ll pass on it. You can tell the age of the press by the color and texture of the red paint. An older Pro 7 had a duller red paint and a little more rough texture to it. Would I sell my press or any of my removed parts? I`ll let my wife and kids decide that when I`m worm food. I should add that I added to the spent primer tube with a plastic tube 16" piece of pvc air tubing pressed onto the brass drop tube already there, and a large brown plastic pill bottle, havent had a jam up in since - 7 or 8 yrs.:cbpour:

BLFD1
04-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Does anyone know if the newer LnL parts are interchangeable with the Projector press?

Oh and I've been lurking here for a year or so but I'm a "regular" over on Calguns. This looks like another forum full of great info. Glad to be here.

omgb
04-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Not many are. The ram is a different size and the base plate is too. There are more stations in the LNL too. The shell plates are interchangeable but even those are not identical..the newer plates are radiused for better shell entry and exit. None of the priming system is interchangeable either.

BLFD1
04-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Not many are. The ram is a different size and the base plate is too. There are more stations in the LNL too. The shell plates are interchangeable but even those are not identical..the newer plates are radiused for better shell entry and exit. None of the priming system is interchangeable either.

What I'm hoping is that the base plate will bolt up so I can add the primer and bullet feed options, etc. I just need to compare the two so I can visualize.

omgb
04-12-2009, 04:23 PM
I think you're dead in the water on this one. But, call Hornady Monday and ask. They have heard it all and will have an answer.

cheese1566
04-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Sorry, I'm still looking for one for my press. I bought it used without the small primer seater or tube.
BD

I called Hornady on these parts. They told me the primer cups/springs/seaters are the same as the Pro-7 single stage press. These are still available as separate parts from MidwayUSA.
Good luck finding primer tubes though... no longer made and out of stock.

I am thinking the lack of tubes will be it's demise unless the entire primer system can be upgraded.

Maybe I should buy a lathe and start make them for sale....:drinks:

cheese1566
04-12-2009, 07:46 PM
I just tried my RCBS primer tubes from my Ammo-Master II Auto in the steel primer housing of my Hornady Pro-Jector.

THEY FIT!!![smilie=w:

One tube was snug, but I think my housing needs a little cleaning and light rubbing of steel wool.

The RCBS tubes are about 1" too short and not handy to get out. I figure I can knock off an inch or so off the Hornady steel housing tube. I wonder if RCBS will make custom lengths...

The RCBS tubes are the same used for the single stage presses too. RCBS only makes one style of primer tube for all their stuff. Most places sell them for about $10-12 each.

BLFD1
04-12-2009, 09:41 PM

There are 5 stations in my Projector as well...?

omgb
04-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Yes, I goofed on the numer of stations. here's the deal, I've got a projector and I once thought about getting it into service. Too much hassle. Do you need an extra one? Shipping would be a bear put I'd let it go for a song

hammerhead357
04-13-2009, 12:26 AM
OMGB what all goes with the press? Like shell plates, primer conversions, primer tubes, etc....Wes

BLFD1
04-13-2009, 12:56 AM
Yes, I goofed on the numer of stations. here's the deal, I've got a projector and I once thought about getting it into service. Too much hassle. Do you need an extra one? Shipping would be a bear put I'd let it go for a song

Well, what song do you wanna hear? LOL! Do you have any parts to go with it? Could you PM or email me some pics?

PM sent

~Robert

cheese1566
04-13-2009, 08:50 AM
I'll gladly stand in line for another ProJector!! No matter the condition or goodies.

Keep me in mind if it falls thru!:-D

BD
04-13-2009, 09:09 AM
I would also buy another Pro-Jector if it had the small primer parts.

BD

BLFD1
05-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I would also buy another Pro-Jector if it had the small primer parts.

BD

Hornady still has the primer parts (minus the tubes) in stock. I just ordered some parts two weeks ago.

Big Boomer
05-09-2009, 03:51 PM
JBMAUSER: You've got all the latest on the Pro-Jector in these posts. Accurate information. I have a Pro-Jector that became one when I sent it back to Hornady several years back to be updated to Pro-Jector status. Prior to that I believe mine was originally manufactured by Pacific. The priming system is lousy. Mine is still attached but unused. I do all my priming for that machine using a lee hand-held priming device. I use the machine for loading all my smaller or less poweful calibers - .38 Special, .357 Mag., .45 ACP. The timing has been off from day one. Even after sending it back, all Hornady said was "Sorry you've had so much trouble with this machine." I still have to be careful that I don't crush case mouths because the system won't perfectly align a case mouth with the opening of a sizing die. All that being said, I've used it several years and would not want to be without it. For my rifle reloading I use a Lyman Spar-T Turret press. For my hot-loaded .45 Colt ammo for a 5-shooter I use a Dillon XL650. I have each press mounted on a piece of 2" x 10" or 2" x 12" lumber and just C-clamp the press to my reloading bench. That way I can remove each press, get it out of the way when I'm ready to reload something else, and limit the clutter. With the Hornady Pro-Jector, I use a Lee auto-disk power measuring system. Pretty slick on just about any machine ... as long as you keep a close eye on it. 'Tuck