PDA

View Full Version : AA4100 and Longshot uses in 38/357 revolvers

cbriggs57
03-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Due to the recent shortage or "run" on components, I've had to buy some unfamiliar powders. My local gun emporium has only had AA4100 and Longshot powders in stock. Now, both are supposedly acceptable powders for the 357, usually with heavy bullets at near-max or max charges. Still, While I took a chance on the 4100, and can still buy the Longshot, I'd like to know what experiences and data sources you may have for these propellants. I just bought a Ruger GP100, oddly enough, in 38 special, with a 3" ADJUSTABLE SIGHTED barrel. I have a little unique and some bullseye left, but those are dwindling, so I'm looking for alternate powders with PROVEN data. I load for my revolver and my dad's Smith 586, and have cast boolits in 105 SWC, 155 gr SWC, 173 gr Keith SWC, and 200gr LBT style. Any help you can give would be appreciated, tested in my guns, and the results shared.
Thankee Kindly.

fecmech
03-22-2014, 10:56 PM
Now, both are supposedly acceptable powders for the 357, usually with heavy bullets at near-max or max charges.
I have not done anything with AA4100 but have used Longshot quite a bit in the 9MM. Were I you I would go back and get the Longshot. I haven't used it in the .357 but I would bet it would work well with your 155 and 173 gr bullets at the top end. Just a WAG on my part but if I found some LS available I would buy it.

shooting on a shoestring
03-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Get the Longshot!
It is much closer to BlueDot and 4100 is more like H110/W296.
I've shot Longshot in 32 S&W Long (modern high pressure gun), 32 H&R Magnum and 357 Magnum.
Your GP100 in .38 Spl will do just fine loaded in +P pressures and will not have any trouble burning Longshot.
In my .357 I've loaded boolits Lee 140 SWC, Lyman 358091 148 WC and Group Buy knock-off 175 gr SWC (358429). I've loaded them all from 7.0 to 8.5 grs. Velocities 1000 into the 1300s.
If I was looking to load a .38 GP100, I'd start with a 155 gr SWC and 7 grains of Longshot and expect good results.

cbriggs57
03-23-2014, 10:18 AM
Not skeptical or criticizing, since I plan on taking your suggestions, just wondering where you find these loads? It may become necessary to find sources like you've done, or to learn to SAFELY interpolate loads with the powders and bullets I can get. I do seriously hope this run on materials and ammo stops soon, don't you? Thank you for your replies. I do hope to hear from anyone who is in this position. We may all learn more about our favorite pastime.

Love Life
03-23-2014, 11:32 AM
This run on supplies will not end anytime soon.

A couple resources for load data:
Powder Manufacturer (website or call)
Reloading Manuals

This link here will take you to a cornucopia of safe data provided free by the manufacturer: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

There are 3 tabs- 38 special+P, 38 Special, and 357 Magnum.

ETA: The link wont take you to the sheet I made....hmmmm. Oh well, it's a free program so just check out the load data and Longshot is listed for the 38 special+P and 357 Magnum.

shooting on a shoestring
03-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Where did my data come from?.....Experimentation.
I first looked at Longshot in terms of its position on a couple of burning rate charts, then thought about its use as a heavy shotgun powder, then based on some previous experience with Herco, Blue Dot and Lil'Gun which are heavy shotgun powders and made a semi-educated guess where a safe starting place would be and choose 7 grains under light Lee 140 SWC and fired it in a stainless steel Blackhawk .357 (a really heavy for caliber gun, its a 44 frame, so lots of extra metal in the cylinder). I chronographed the shot, looked at the primer and saw I was safe with pressure, so I worked up a little and went to heavier boolits and worked them up a little. Then seeing how it went in .357, I guessed a starting point in 32 SWL and fired that in a 32 H&R Magun revolver. That shot was on safe ground, so I worked up, then made the short jump into 32 H&R Magnum.

My key was having a really stout .357 and choosing a light boolit....well and knowing it should be less powder in the case than using 2400, but more than using Bullseye.

cbriggs57
03-24-2014, 04:51 AM
That answers my question pretty well. I'm a bit uncomfortable with doing that myself, since my reloading experience has been in streaks over the years. Lately it has been mostly done in anticipation of hunting season, and not much else. My new acquisition has renewed my interest, but, since we're in the middle of this...shortage... I have to play catch up. Some time down the pike I may have to pm you for data you've tested and proven. Would that be agreeable to you, SOS?

parisite
03-24-2014, 11:04 PM
AA4100 (same as Ramshot Enforcer) is my favorite powder for magnum handguns and it can be downloaded a lot. I've even seen 45acp data for it.

osteodoc08
03-25-2014, 10:54 AM
I've used Longshot in 357Mag with good results. It meters fairly well and was clean. No complaints there. Accuracy was fine for plinking. No real "tests", but just some plinking loads out of the 686.

rintinglen
03-27-2014, 02:25 AM
The AA4100 seems to be in between Number 9 and 2400. It would be suitable for heavy Magnum loads in the .357. Longshot will work in the 38 Special Plus P, as well as lighter end .357 Magnum loads. Hogdon lists 5.3 grains with a 158 grain bullet as a +P load. They list no loads for standard velocity 38's.

TMenezes
04-10-2014, 01:46 AM
I too have seen AA 4100 at my local gunsmiths place and wondered what it was good for. As he also had AA #9 I went with that instead. I went over to Accurate's website and downloaded thier latest data. Looks like 4100 is pretty potent stuff. Most interesting to me was this load.

11.7 gr 4100, 187gr cast boolit, 1075fps (starting load)
13.8 gr 4100, 187gr cast boolit, 1,222fps (max load) 1.6 OAL for both

This is for 357 Mag brass, sorry can't help on the 38 special as I use TightGroup for my 38 Special loads.

Go to Accurate and download their info. They just released their latest data a few months ago. Accurate is about all my local guy will carry so that free data has been very helpful.

wch
04-10-2014, 06:16 AM
Not skeptical or criticizing, since I plan on taking your suggestions, just wondering where you find these loads? It may become necessary to find sources like you've done, or to learn to SAFELY interpolate loads with the powders and bullets I can get. I do seriously hope this run on materials and ammo stops soon, don't you? Thank you for your replies. I do hope to hear from anyone who is in this position. We may all learn more about our favorite pastime.

Again, I have to advise that you contact the producing powder company and ask for suggested loads. Interpolation might work for you, but info from the "horse's mouth" will be best.

dougader
04-10-2014, 05:00 PM
It's been posted above, but the Hodgdon Data Center link has good data for Longshot:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

For 4100:

http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WP_LoadSpec_1-23-14.pdf