PDA

View Full Version : lyman 450 question

lylejb
03-22-2014, 03:12 PM
I'm in the process of cleaning/ reworking an old lyman 450 I picked up here.

On the bottom of the casting there's a washer that forms the bottom of the lube reservoir. It has come loose. I see someone has tried to stake it in place with a center punch, but it didn't work.

I know the forcing screw has to turn, but is there any reason I couldn't just clean and JB weld this washer in place? I think JB would hold better than the poor staking job, and would seal if done right.

Thanks.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-22-2014, 03:40 PM
That washer/disk is Staked into place at the factory.

every 450 I've ever seen (that weren't modifed) has the dimples
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?233638-FS-Lyman-450&highlight=

Hawkeye45
03-22-2014, 03:42 PM
IIRC there is a o-ring in there that keeps the lube from coming out. You push the threaded shaft out he bottom, replace ring and reassemble. The "staking marks" mate up with indents in the casting. I would not JB weld it.

Mr. Ed

lylejb
03-22-2014, 03:47 PM
OK,

Mine is not like that, It has about 30 punch marks and will not even hold it's own weight in place.

338RemUltraMag
03-22-2014, 04:00 PM
OK,

Mine is not like that, It has about 30 punch marks and will not even hold it's own weight in place.
To "fix" my 450 when I was in the middle of a casting session and gearing up for a lubing session I cut a piece of sheet metal to fit the bottom of the lubesizer and used blue poly gasket seal to hold it in place, I said it would be a temporary fit until I could buy the replacement parts but that was 1.5 years ago. It just worked so I did not bother with it again.

Iowa Fox
03-22-2014, 04:01 PM
It kind of sounds like someone went in to replace the O ring and did not get a good restake job from your description. As long as it falls out on its own right now what about making sure the O ring is in good shape or put a new one on and then trying to re-stake after solidly seating the plug in the casting?

To add to the original question has anyone knocked out the plug and put a new O ring on, and sucessfully restaked the plug in place with good results? Does Lyman offer anykind of restaking service?

SSGOldfart
03-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Picture would save you some time?

Hawkeye45
03-22-2014, 08:34 PM
I was able to restake it with a new o-ring. I lined up the existing dimples and lightly punched each one. It May not hold forever, it's only been 2 years now.

Mr. Ed