PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Handle cracking

Walter Laich
03-22-2014, 12:57 PM
This might not be a problem, I just might be the lucky one, but I've had my SDB handle break (crack) on me twice.
I usually use a spray case lube and have annealed by brass.
Right now loading .45 Colt rounds.
First time it was .38 Sp cases.
Each time they sent an up-graded replacement
Granted it has only happened twice but just wondering if others have had this happen to them

Alvarez Kelly
03-22-2014, 02:20 PM
It has happened to many others. Dillon has modified the handle design because of the breakages. I think the newest handles will now last the lifetime of the press.

GBertolet
03-22-2014, 02:27 PM
My SDB broke just like yours. A call to Dillon had the new reinforced, improved handle on it's way. They included all new bushings to go along with the new handle. Great service!

VHoward
03-22-2014, 03:09 PM
When was that sdb purchased? Mine I bought 3 or 4 years ago never broke while I had it. I sold it a couple of months ago.

jmorris
03-22-2014, 08:59 PM
I have had two for well over 25 years and have yet to break one but I have seen photos of a lot of busted Dillon stuff.

MtGun44
03-22-2014, 09:49 PM
THe very early SDs had serious handle breakage. Apparently SOMEHOW (never made any sense
to me) the blue die spacer was somehow tied in (or was it the white one?) in any case when I bought
a busted one for $50 and called Dillon (like 20 yrs ago) the first question was "what color is the
die head plastic spacer?" Mine was the wrong color and they replaced it and all the plastic sliding
pieces and the handle for zippo. Ran great for a number of years until I upgraded to another 550.

So - be sure to ask about this spacer color deal when you get your new handle. Could it be
that you need a better case lube, too? Never used that one but perhaps this contributes if not
a really good lube.

deerspy
03-22-2014, 10:06 PM
I bought my SD about 1985 I think it cost 129.00 broke the handle they sent me the new one with new blue spacer worked ok till about 3 or 4 years ago then the frame broke i called and they said send it in so I did and when I got it back I think the only thing that was not new was the replacement handle they sent me about ten years ago. It works like a dream now loaded 3000 38 spl and 3000 45acp last year on it. I don't use any lube on cases just run them in the vibrator with polish for two hours and they load easy.

Walter Laich
03-23-2014, 10:13 AM
Mine was $129 also so it's old.
They started out with the blue spacer and transferred over to the white one.
Broke one way back in the day and about 6 months ago
each time new handle was modified from the broken one.
thanks for the replies, just curious

jmorris
03-23-2014, 03:38 PM
They had rebuilt mine a few times but the last time I called them just needing new link arm bushings and they sent me new link arms with bronze bushing in them instead of the old plastic ones.

Themayor
03-28-2014, 03:05 PM
That's what is so great about dillon, they replace everything no questions asked.

ROGER4314
04-26-2014, 03:05 AM
I'm retired now but had a reputation for destroying machinery. Dillon's presses captured my money because they have massive castings and steel handles.

My Dillon SD press had to go. It went to a good home with someone who would treat it gently.

Along the same topic, Lee presses generate a snicker. I could break one of those sap suckers in a heartbeat!

Flash