PDA

View Full Version : need recommendation for a lubri-sizer

KirkD
12-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Gents, I have a Hornady Lok-n-load press in case that is useful info. I need to start lubricating and sizing my own cast bullets. What do you recommend? Also, I might be sizing in odd sizes (i.e., .381 for my 38-55) so I'd need to be able to get odd sizing dies that go with the lubri-sizer.

454PB
12-28-2007, 01:31 AM
For most casters, either the Lyman or RCBS lubrisizers git-r-done. If you want high volume, the Star is much faster. If you only plan to size a small amount, you can't beat the Lee push through system with either their liquid alox or pan lubing.

Odd size dies is a whole other problem. You can hone out existing sizes, or buy custom sizes from several sources. One is: http://www.sizingdie.com/index.htm

Lloyd Smale
12-28-2007, 06:27 AM
buy a star. Its worth the extra and alot of guys end up buying one in the long run and selling there lyman or rcbs at a loss.

KirkD
12-28-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm familiar with Lee's push through system and liquid Alox. They will also supply sizing dies in any diameter you want for a very low price. I'm not a high volume sizer. This all raises a question .... is Alox really all you need for a lube? I've only sized and aloxed bullets that already had normal lube in their grooves. I suppose I would have to alox the bullets again after sizing .... but it still seems hard for me to believe that all I would need is alox, with nothing in the lube grooves. (almost all of my shooting is at velocities less than 1,500 fps)

Le Loup Solitaire
12-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Advice so far has been "top shelf". Best choice of course is a Star, if you can afford it. Most folks go for a Lyman or an RCBS. They have a wide choice of diameters in the sizing dies. They use hollow(in the center) sticks of lube. I have a couple of SAECO's and they do well for me. (solid sticks). The Lee system of push thru has its advantages (no top/nose punches necessary) but the getting lube into the grooves isn't everyone's favorite. A way around that is Lee's alox tumble system. Also Lee's number of sizing diameters is limited.

Scrounger
12-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Advice so far has been "top shelf". Best choice of course is a Star, if you can afford it. Most folks go for a Lyman or an RCBS. They have a wide choice of diameters in the sizing dies. They use hollow(in the center) sticks of lube. I have a couple of SAECO's and they do well for me. (solid sticks). The Lee system of push thru has its advantages (no top/nose punches necessary) but the getting lube into the grooves isn't everyone's favorite. A way around that is Lee's alox tumble system. Also Lee's number of sizing diameters is limited.

Not true. They will make you one in whatever diameter you want for $25, which is about $10 more than the commonly stocked sizes. Lyman, RCBS, SAECO, and Star are a lot more expensive, a custom size in them will run you $40 or more.

KirkD
12-28-2007, 10:53 PM
I know that I can get any diameter I want from Lee, because I've ordered a few oddball diameters already and used them. As far as sizing, it looks like my cheapest method will be to continue to use Lee's push through method and just order the size I want for a nominal fee. However, that still leaves the problem of filling the lube grooves. I'm thinking my cheapest method for doing that is the pan lubing method. I'll have to get myself educated on how to pan lube. Thank you, all, for the very helpful input.

Scrounger
12-29-2007, 12:59 AM
I know that I can get any diameter I want from Lee, because I've ordered a few oddball diameters already and used them. As far as sizing, it looks like my cheapest method will be to continue to use Lee's push through method and just order the size I want for a nominal fee. However, that still leaves the problem of filling the lube grooves. I'm thinking my cheapest method for doing that is the pan lubing method. I'll have to get myself educated on how to pan lube. Thank you, all, for the very helpful input.

1. Melt lube
2. Set bullets base down in lube
3. Let lube cool and harden
4. Take fired case of that caliber (straight wall cases work best)
Push case down over bullet, thereby cutting it from rest of lube.
5. Take bullet (with lube in grooves) and push through Lee Sizer
Die.

454PB
12-29-2007, 01:37 AM
The only suggestion I would add to Scrounger's procedure is to hacksaw the head off of the case. That way the boolits feed through the "kake cutter", you don't have to fish them out.

KirkD
12-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Scrounger and 454PB, that sounds very straightforward. I like it. One last question ..... is there a home made lube that will work well for both black powder and smokeless?

WBH
12-29-2007, 07:52 PM
I am also a "low" volume sizer. Usually not more than 100-200 at a sitting. Mostly large caliber heavy BPCR boolits. I use a Lyman with my own hollow tube lube and am very pleased with the performance. I never liked to tumble lube, and certainly can't for BPCR. Star is better, but I don't need a Rolls to get to the grocery store. I had a Lee, sold it within 2 months.

freedom475
12-30-2007, 02:07 AM
I have pan-lubed for years, but there is nothing more messy or frustrating. Every time you think you have it you bump the pan and tip over the boolits, or the cooling metals "pops" (this is just one of the many DELIGHTS) did i mention the mess:mrgreen: a Major PITA.

I now have a Luba-a Matic and love it. I know the star is way better and someday will probly upgrade. I've read some bad things about leakage and non-standard dies with the new lyman 4500 so I suggest the RCBS. Pan lubing has its place.....but that won't make you feel any better the first time you spill a pan of hot lube all over yourself and equipment.:-D

Hope this helps:

Freedom475

6pt-sika
12-30-2007, 02:48 AM
To each his own , but I own three Lyman Lube sizers now .

I have an old model 45 that I picked up at a yard sale about 10 years ago for $5 that I still use .

And I also have a pair of Lyman's newest the 4500 and both of these have heater electrodes attached !!!!

I think I cast about 5 thousand bullets a year and what I have seems to do a pretty decent job for me so far !

Crash_Corrigan
01-03-2008, 11:55 PM
I have had one for two years. I bought the heater base on sale from Midway and although the sizer dies are about $30 apiece I love it. It is fast, easy and not messy. The danged thing does not leak at all. I use lar45's Carnuba Red which needs a heater and it make a dandy round. No leading and accurate as all get out.

To fill it up I take a few tubes of Carnuba Red and in a pint size PYREX glass measuring cup I melt it in the microwave until it is liquid.

Then simply pour into the lube reseveroir and screw on the cap. Give the handle a few turns until you meet resistance and let 'er rip. Once the liquid cools you are going to have to heat it with a heater. hair dryer or whatever.

Lar45 lubes are the cheapest around and if you ask he will send you samples at no cost to see what works best for you.

homefront
01-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Crash,

How old is your Saeco?
I'm interested in the Saeco too, but the most recent reviews on that unit at Midway are terrible.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=756252&t=11082005

crowbeaner
01-15-2008, 08:39 PM
I have 2 RCBS Lubeamatics and if I needed another that's what I would buy. I simply don't have as many guns as I used to so I can't justify the cost of a Star. Lyman dies work in them and they are less money than the RCBS ones. You can order custom sizes, or have someone make them. I use hollow sticks, and generally can get 50/50 for $1 a stick. A heating pad is $40 from Midway, and hard lubes are available from several sources. With everything you buy you get what you pay for; I have $50 apiece in mine and they have sized untold thousands of boolits. CB.