PDA

View Full Version : Another .22 auction shocker

Hardcast416taylor
03-22-2014, 09:41 AM
Just looked at this local online auction site and saw this bid for .22`s. A bulk box of Federal .22 LR HP`s in a 550 count carton is now $69 after only 1 day of bidding. The auction closes Monday!Robert

dbosman
03-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Do I have to include the potential value of .22 ammo in the FAFSA calculations?

clodhopper
03-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Spring varmit season is putting the squeeze on thought process.

Hardcast416taylor
03-24-2014, 09:08 PM
Just looked at this local online auction site and saw this bid for .22`s. A bulk box of Federal .22 LR HP`s in a 550 count carton is now $69 after only 1 day of bidding. The auction closes Monday!Robert

The auction closed with $69 taking the box.Robert

Lee
03-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Well, stupid is as stupid does. This WILL not last forever. Those of you with sane minds, will wait. The hroarders will lose their shirts. Any dealer riding this will lose their shirts. Just wait..............................Just wait.....................................

2wheelDuke
03-24-2014, 11:40 PM
With shipping, I just paid $71 for a brick of .22lr. This is match ammo though, and about $15 of that was shipping. Back in normal times I'd still pay that for match ammo, but order multiple bricks to spread the shipping hit out. It was limit 1, so the shipping hurts.

Simonpie
03-30-2014, 12:17 PM
It does seem odd people spend that much for Walmart quality ammo when you can buy mid range Eley product for the same price.

doctorggg
03-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Went to the gunshow in Richmond VA yesterday. Dealers were selling bricks of Federal for $65-$75.00. The 300 counts boxes were going for $55.00.
This is crazy!!

enfield
03-30-2014, 06:28 PM
I just got 2 555 boxes at Canadian Tire for $25 each. does that help.

imashooter2
03-30-2014, 06:37 PM
Well, stupid is as stupid does. This WILL not last forever. Those of you with sane minds, will wait. The hroarders will lose their shirts. Any dealer riding this will lose their shirts. Just wait..............................Just wait.....................................

Your premise is flawed.

Herb in Pa
03-30-2014, 06:51 PM
Your premise is flawed.

Tell that to the guys who paid way too much for AR's

HangFireW8
03-30-2014, 07:01 PM

Any dealer who has already been turning over stock for the past year has already made a killing.

Hint: Dealers aren't hoarders. The sell as fast as they can, and since they are buying at wholesale or at walmart, they won't lose a thing.

imashooter2
03-30-2014, 07:24 PM
Tell that to the guys who paid way too much for AR's

Individuals that paid too much for a rifle do not equate to dealers selling .22LR at inflated prices. A proper comparison would be to the Dealers that sold AR15's for what fools were willing to pay. Those dealers did not lose their shirts, they made a tidy profit.

bangerjim
03-30-2014, 09:51 PM
I hope those of us on here are smarter than that! Even buying 22 rifles is not a wise move. People starting out (gun grab paranoia!) flock to LGS's and gun shows and buy up 22 semi's and rifles and then get hit by sticker shock when it comes time to feed their new baby.

I do not shoot anything I cannot reload. All my 22LR's are cleaned and stored away for future generations! I love loading and shooting 223 reduced loads with Bator 55gn PC's boolit in place of 22lr's. Costs about 4 cents to reload!

banger

Hardcast416taylor
03-30-2014, 10:28 PM
I just got 2 555 boxes at Canadian Tire for $25 each. does that help.

In the first place you are in Canada not the U.S.A. In the second place you don`t have O`Bummer and the Dumbacrass party up there. Good price for shells though!Robert

MT Gianni
03-30-2014, 10:48 PM
22 gun prices are dropping as well. I just picked up a High Standard Sentinal in great shape for $125 less than I should have. I have plenty of 22 lr, it is just cheaper to shoot 30-06 than buy new. [$30 primers, 13 gr Red Dot, 8 lb keg @ $140 2 lbs $35 home made gas checks and 150 gr boolits @ 46 per lb=25 lbs PB @ $1 lb. Total is $80 per 1000 vs $90 for 22 lr @ $45 550 pack.] I believe prices will come back as have primers.

Herb in Pa
03-30-2014, 11:13 PM
Individuals that paid too much for a rifle do not equate to dealers selling .22LR at inflated prices. A proper comparison would be to the Dealers that sold AR15's for what fools were willing to pay. Those dealers did not lose their shirts, they made a tidy profit.
Ya just gotta know when to buy it right...............no brag just fact

Bullshop Junior
03-30-2014, 11:37 PM
Walmart here had a bunch last time I was in there for normal prices and it lasted a little whole. I'm having trouble finding 22 mags though.

Shiloh
04-05-2014, 02:53 PM
If you purchased and kept a stock when it was available, you are still in good shape.

Shiloh

Mod42
04-05-2014, 03:41 PM

And here you can see why there is a shortage.........:kidding::kidding:

I am jealous!!

xacex
04-12-2014, 06:35 PM
If you purchased and kept a stock when it was available, you are still in good shape.

Shiloh

You should see the faces when I pull out a brick of .22 at the range, and go to town like nothing happened. Seems everytime I go people are wanting to chat me up, and hand me their card these days. Must be rough for those who don't think ahead. I stock up for several years at a time, and even at the rate I shoot .22 now I have about another 5 years worth. Things should be calmed down by then, but I still pick up a box if it is on the shelf at the local SGS. I dont know that I will ever see the 10$ bricks again so I am prepared to pay todays price just to keep things fresh.

olafhardt
04-13-2014, 01:58 AM
After contemplating the situation I decided that $5/box or even $7 I get my money's worth out of a box of 22lr. I find an occasional box of simi-target for $3. I have kept my level to the level I am comfortable at. The price is probably going down. I also have noted that guys who were felt comfortable with a few boxes now want several bricks on hand not for resale. I also think this is the expression of the fact that we want and cherish our guns. This is not just a few nuts buying bullets, this is millions of voters talking with there pocket books. Heck, even a lot of liberals and women and minorities are stocking up on guns and ammo. I see bargains under the radar all the time: $9 for a 50 rd box of 9mm, cheap cf rifle ammo. I just bought a Mossberg 500 BRAND NEW at Wally World for $209. If you keep your eyes and mind open there is reasonably priced stuff available. If you want some body else to find it and bring it to you, your gonna pay. If you are going to blow through a ton of ammo, you're gonna pay. God bless America.

jcwit
04-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Must be rough for those who don't think ahead. I stock up for several years at a time, and even at the rate I shoot .22 now I have about another 5 years worth.

Where statements such as the above lose logic, is how does the new shooter just coming of age "stock up" or the new guy/gal just getting into the sport "stock up"?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

l h jenkins
04-13-2014, 03:01 PM
down to my last four bricks of federal bulk. picked up on sale at walmart$8.88 per. i am admitting to being old but not stupid.

OBXPilgrim
04-14-2014, 05:40 PM

I hope there's more to support those shelves than just those gray brackets - or that most of those boxes are empty.

Hogdaddy
04-14-2014, 06:39 PM
I got a few K of 22lr's left,, hav'nt bought but a 525 Rem GBs & a 333 Fed AM in las 2 years. I just ran across em,, was'nt lookin for 22's,, just powder ; )
PS I shoot my ole gill gun "Savage" 6a, few time a range trip, the rest in my six shooter 50-60 rnds max.
H/D

xacex
04-15-2014, 03:03 AM
Where statements such as the above lose logic, is how does the new shooter just coming of age "stock up" or the new guy/gal just getting into the sport "stock up"?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

I donated to the clubs youth shoot when they sent out a request for .22. What have you done with your stash to promote the sport?

jcwit
04-15-2014, 08:23 AM
I donated to the clubs youth shoot when they sent out a request for .22. What have you done with your stash to promote the sport?

Our local youth group applied for the special country lottery from Federal cartridge and was 1 of 30 who won nation wide, we have more than enough for the next 2 years. Prior to that I gave funds to support our local youth group, all done while my wife & I live on a $1500 VA disability. No other Gov. assistance available.

Our youth never wished for ammo during this madness.

Do I meet your expectations?

BTW, My reply had nothing to do with organized youth or other groups, why did you think that?

mold maker
04-15-2014, 01:50 PM
This morning at Walmart I just happened to pass the sporting goods counter as a clerk brought out a box marked Federal. As the crowd came out of the woodwork, me and two others got 3 boxes each of 550 rounds of 22LR. The next guy got the last box, and 3 others got zip.
Only once before, in the last 2 years, I got lucky with 3/100 rd boxes.
Ya just have to be lucky I guess.

mold maker
04-15-2014, 01:55 PM
I hope there's more to support those shelves than just those gray brackets - or that most of those boxes are empty.

That would be a real mess if those few screws gave way.