PDA

View Full Version : Pallet of .22 rf

clodhopper
03-22-2014, 09:15 AM
Stopped in the local farm supply store.
Lo and behold, on the sales floor, there was a pallet of remington standard velocity.
I did not buy any, the price was 49.99 a brick.
It's good to see the retailers who have always supplied us are getting the mark up instead if gun broker pirates.
A few years from now local retailer will still be in business bringing, ammo in on trucks instead of us paying high shipping fees for ammo by the brick or case via ups.
This is a needed step to bring the .22 ammo bubble to an end.
Things are looking up.

Hardcast416taylor
03-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Wonder if they ordered HiVel ammo and this is what they got? Wonder what the price would be if it was HiVel .22`s?Robert

Love Life
03-22-2014, 12:06 PM
It's about time a major store increased prices significantly on 22lr. Hopefully other stores will do the same so the bubble ends. What good is "They're not evil gougers, but they haven't had any stock for a year." to anybody. I hope wally world and everybody else increases their prices to the same level. It is, in fact, what everybody was clamoring for. You know, to get rid of those evil gougers...

starmac
03-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Well our sportsmans still sell it at 26.99 a 525 brick for remington, so I for one am hoping this doesn't catch on in the retail world.

Love Life
03-23-2014, 09:46 PM
It's the only way to stop those evil gougers. Did you really think that the retail world wasn't paying attention to the prices people were paying? The fact that they couldn't keep product stocked?

They were watching. The have been slowly raising prices a little at a time. They'll stop raising prices when demand goes down.

This is what everybody wanted. This is the market catching up to reality.

Look at how the cost of powders and primers have gone up as well. $23-$25 per lb and $180-$200 per 8lb jug will be the new normal.

Zymurgy50
03-23-2014, 10:13 PM
It might be interesting to go back in a week or so and see just how much of this pallet has walked out the door at this price......

marshall623
03-23-2014, 10:17 PM
I would love to run into a brick of Rem Std. Vel. .My 14" contender thrives on the stuff .

clodhopper
03-23-2014, 11:54 PM
It might be interesting to go back in a week or so and see just how much of this pallet has walked out the door at this price......

That would be intersting, but the store was a good bit down the road. Would really like to get back there and do some rabbit hunting, hiking and rock formation exploring. Like I did the day I saw the ammo.

triggerhappy243
03-24-2014, 12:03 AM
Here is my guess folks. The people who buy from the manufacturer, put those pallets of ammo up for the highest bidder. Walmart does not play that game. This is why you do not see 22 ammo in walmart like you used to. $50.00 per brick? Give me a break.

starmac
03-24-2014, 03:13 AM
Well we do not have to buy ammo from so called evil gougers, if the retailers go up to their prices we'll be stuck with those prices for a long time. As far as powder, it really hasn't gone up here from prebummer prices, and primers probably less than 5 bucks a thousand, but they have always been more here than what they are in the lower 48.

AMT7
03-24-2014, 04:40 AM
I am about ready to go into the ammo mfg business. It's insanity.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-26-2014, 09:17 AM
I thought the one box per person was going a ways to fix the gougers if they can't have the supply then they can't make the profit to pay for the gas to hit the store every day

my fear is that they will go to 50 a brick and never come back to 25 , after all even at 10 cents a round they will be cheaper than what most people can get anything else for

now if you just had to bring a kid with you to buy ammo or bring back half your empty brass you could really cut into it

there is no one buying and gouging from my LGS they know the name of almost every one who walks in that store and remember you for a week or more and will tell you no you have had enough let some one else have some.

trapper9260
03-26-2014, 11:37 AM
Here is my guess folks. The people who buy from the manufacturer, put those pallets of ammo up for the highest bidder. Walmart does not play that game. This is why you do not see 22 ammo in walmart like you used to. $50.00 per brick? Give me a break.

You are right about Walmart, I was told that is what they do about there guns also,they set the price they will pay and that is it.and who ever they get it from looking for sales for looking on paper.

Whiterabbit
03-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Look at how the cost of powders and primers have gone up as well. $23-$25 per lb and $180-$200 per 8lb jug will be the new normal.

dream come true for me. My local shop used to charge $35 per pound of powder. When the crisis hit, powder went to $39.99 per pound, plus state tax. I thought $40 local was the new norm. Went in the other day, down to $33 or $34 a pound which was a welcome sight. $25 a pound is a pipe dream here. best possible price is $30 out the door, if the guy has what you are looking for (which is never an 'H' powder)

Love Life
03-26-2014, 01:20 PM
I really despise limits put on luxury goods. Let the price increase happen nationwide to bring an end to the lack of supply, the in-fighting, and the wrong use of the term gouger.

I'd rather gripe about paying $50 a brick than gripe about not having any or having to listen to people gripe about evil gougers and deal with limits on the amount of a luxury I'm "allowed" to buy so others can have their "Fair share" of goods.

Whiterabbit
03-26-2014, 01:36 PM
Love Life, I cannot disagree, but I do have to say that if we consider .22lr a luxury item, then it is our children that suffer.

Love Life
03-26-2014, 02:02 PM
22lr is a luxury item as it is not a required item to live. 32 caliber firearms still exist and at the end of the day will come out cheaper than 22lr if you reload them.

triggerhappy243
03-26-2014, 02:29 PM
i dont think 22 ammo is a luxury item. i also think the people who are buying the ammo from the "GOUGERS" are the root cause the gougers are still selling at 50-60 a brick. supply and demand is a double edged sword.... get the point?

Whiterabbit
03-26-2014, 02:31 PM
If our children do not shoot, then the 2nd amendment dies.

Love Life
03-26-2014, 02:35 PM
No. I do not get your point. All I saw was the incorrect use of the term "Gouger" and the the incorrect labeling of 22lr ammo as a need.

I fully understand supply and demand, and capitalism. You, however, do not or else you would not have posted what you did.

What you WANT are regulations so you can keep buying your 22lr ammo on the cheap. What I want is for retailers to raise prices to the correct market price of $40-$50 per brick so your evil "Gougers" will stop buying up all the 22lr ammo, the evil "Hoarders" will quit buying up all the ammo, and a market glut will result so prices will in the end drop and stabilize.

Unfortunately that will not happen so we'll be stuck with the incorrect use of the term gouger.

selmerfan
03-26-2014, 02:46 PM
Love Life, I'm not sure where you live, but $23-25/lb. of powder has been the going rate around here for most powder for more than a couple of years - long enough for me to call it "normal" - even a decent buy on some - if you can find them, such as Varget, 2400, or Blue Dot.

Love Life
03-26-2014, 02:51 PM
If our children do not shoot, then the 2nd amendment dies.

I agree 100%. The writing is on the wall that 22lr is no longer the cheap plinking ammo. I would offload all of my 22lr stuff and invest in 32 caliber firearms.

Char-Gar
03-26-2014, 02:55 PM
A gouger is one who takes advantage of another person's misfortune and charges inflated prices for necessary goods.

When we have a hurricane hit down here, folks truck in building supplies and sell them off the road side at double the local prices after local supplies are exhausted. It is against the law and I report them every time I see them.

If you see the Obama administration as a misfortune and 22 ammo as a necessary ammo then folks who are selling at inflated prices are indeed gougers. If your don't see the Obama administration as a misfortune and/or 22 ammo is not a necessity, then they are not gougers.

I would not call the $100 per brick sellers gougers, I would just call them a low life.

Love Life
03-26-2014, 02:58 PM
I would not call the $100 per brick sellers gougers, I would just call them a low life.

Correct.

Bonz
03-26-2014, 03:04 PM
I truly believe that the 22LR shortage will catch up, just like the primers did. Now you can buy primers almost everywhere. At least half of the online stores have lowered the prices on primers. thirdgenerationshootingsupply is now carrying CCI primers and has 456,000 small pistol primers in stock @ 27.00/1000, besides their other primers. LOL, I officially have enough 22LR now, I quit buying them (unless I find them on sale ;-))

jlucke69
03-26-2014, 04:17 PM
I'm sorry, but as a forum member, can I ask that we act like adults on this forum? Take it off line.

dragon813gt
03-26-2014, 04:33 PM
I will simply ask a question. If 22 is not a necessity then what is it? Because I'm sure that if it's not a necessity then it's a luxury.

And good luck preventing people from buying 22 at inflated prices. The people selling it are not gougers. That term is used improperly all the time. People are willing to pay a certain price for an item. There is nothing you can do to prevent this. I know I have not been buying anything at inflated prices. But if I was out of 22 and my step daughter really wanted to shoot I would pony up the $50 to keep her shooting.

I'm not sure retailers raising their prices, relative, is a solution or a good thing. Because we know that the prices will most likely not come all the way back down. But i was wrong about this w/ ARs as they are back to pre Sandy Hook prices. There is also no guarantee that it will increase the supply and it won't decrease the demand. It just means money will be going into corporate pockets instead of your neighbors.

All in all it's a sad situation and points out how the shooting community is anything but tight knit. We do not look out for each other. The vast majority only care about themselves. And to be honest I don't know if I can blame them w/ the current lack of supply.

Trey45
03-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Large parts of this thread have been deleted and/or edited due to insults and profanity. If it continues this thread will be shut down. Conduct yourselves as mature, rational adults and leave the insults and profanity out of it.

This is why we can't have nice things......

jcwit
03-26-2014, 04:55 PM
I will simply ask a question. If 22 is not a necessity then what is it? Because I'm sure that if it's not a necessity then it's a luxury.

And good luck preventing people from buying 22 at inflated prices. The people selling it are not gougers. That term is used improperly all the time. People are willing to pay a certain price for an item. There is nothing you can do to prevent this. I know I have not been buying anything at inflated prices. But if I was out of 22 and my step daughter really wanted to shoot I would pony up the $50 to keep her shooting.

I'm not sure retailers raising their prices, relative, is a solution or a good thing. Because we know that the prices will most likely not come all the way back down. But i was wrong about this w/ ARs as they are back to pre Sandy Hook prices. There is also no guarantee that it will increase the supply and it won't decrease the demand. It just means money will be going into corporate pockets instead of your neighbors.

All in all it's a sad situation and points out how the shooting community is anything but tight knit. We do not look out for each other. The vast majority only care about themselves. And to be honest I don't know if I can blame them w/ the current lack of supply.

Well that is your opinion, such as it is.

Love Life
03-26-2014, 05:03 PM
I went and deleted all my sort of not nice stuff since it was all in response to deleted not nice stuff. I do have a question though. Does anybody read the delete messages?

Moving along to respond to Mr. Dragon: You are correct. The tightknittedness (new word!!) of the shooting/reloading community waxes and wanes proportionately with the deepness of individual's wallets and how well stocked their reloading larder is. That has been made blatantly clear during this shortage. It has left me sickened and incredibly bitter towards the entire community. In one hand they'll scream HOARDER!!! and GOUGER!!!! yet they'll post up about buying 24lbs of powder like it's no biggie and how they made $100 on a lee 6 cavity.

Oh my!! I'm drifting again.

Lee
03-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Let me give my 2 cents. Ocooner and Oholers and community started this mess.

The stupid, illiterate people decided to buy guns. Piss poor, they bought the Heritage Rough Rider for $123. they bought the $139 Marlin 22 rifle. Now the cretins need ammo. Duh? Did I say they're stupid? Bring in the predators. They don't work for a living. They got the EBT cards, they got the Bummer fones. Get the picture? Vultures. When I see one on my property I don't care what ODNR says the season is............................

mikeym1a
03-26-2014, 09:26 PM
22lr is a luxury item as it is not a required item to live. 32 caliber firearms still exist and at the end of the day will come out cheaper than 22lr if you reload them.

20 years ago I was paying 1.25/50 for .22s. I could load my .32s for 3.5/rd. I continue to this day. All three of my kids shoot. All three know how to reload. When I leave, they'll have to divvy up the spoils amongst themselves. But I've given them the basics. What they do with it will depend on themselves.

snowwolfe
03-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Interesting thread. I never gave much thought to retailers raising their prices with the end result being the price might come down across the board but there is some truth to it.
At $50 a brick people buying it to resell will dry up because $50 seems to be the upper limit most shooters will pay for run of the mill .22 ammo. It would also slow down the people buying everything they can put their hands on to hoard. After about 6-9 months the price would slowly crawl downwards because the rush will be over and stores will be unloading extra inventory.

jh45gun
03-26-2014, 11:54 PM
For that price they are gougers too. The local gun shop got in some American Eagle and was limiting to two boxes but it the price was 2.69. I would rather wait and get it while I can for that prices for two boxes then pay through the nose to a gouger at a gun show or online or retail.

triggerhappy243
03-27-2014, 12:12 AM
I must offer my appologies for going off the deep end. But.... as a professional economist, I speak and spoke with experience. Take it for what it is worth to you. Supply and demand really does work both ways. If you want it bad enough, you will pay whatever it takes to get it. At our local gun shows, 22 ammo was selling for upwards of $80.00 per brick, and people were actually buying it.

If "EVERYONE" wants to see the price return to normal pre- scare prices, "EVERYONE" needs to just stop buying it all together. The so-called gougers will stop "TRYING" to sell it for more than market value and move on to something else. After all, center fire ammo is back on the shelves and no one I see, is "GOUGING" that. Just my thoughts.

rollmyown
03-27-2014, 05:30 AM
I must offer my appologies for going off the deep end. But.... as a professional economist, I speak and spoke with experience. Take it for what it is worth to you. Supply and demand really does work both ways. If you want it bad enough, you will pay whatever it takes to get it. At our local gun shows, 22 ammo was selling for upwards of $80.00 per brick, and people were actually buying it.

If "EVERYONE" wants to see the price return to normal pre- scare prices, "EVERYONE" needs to just stop buying it all together. The so-called gougers will stop "TRYING" to sell it for more than market value and move on to something else. After all, center fire ammo is back on the shelves and no one I see, is "GOUGING" that. Just my thoughts.

As much as I hate to agree with an economist (no offence TH 243) I completely agree, and I've said the same for a while.

Love Life
03-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Jack the prices up.

jcwit
03-27-2014, 10:24 AM
This country is totally divided, not only in politics but in many, many things. Even when it comes to the sporting community.

Greed and the attitude of Me, me, me, its all about me, is doing little to help our society.

Sad isn't it.

Love Life
03-27-2014, 10:45 AM
This country is totally divided, not only in politics but in many, many things. Even when it comes to the sporting community.

Greed and the attitude of Me, me, me, its all about me, is doing little to help our society.

Sad isn't it.

Sad, but not a surprise. Self preservation and "I'm gonna gets mines" is always just below the surface. What makes it so sad in the shooting community is the huge dose of hypocrisy that accompanies it. At the end of the day altruism goes against all species, and self preservation is survival 101. Abundance allows for the giving and sacrifice necessary for an "unselfish" society.

Adversity and/or a lack of something you feel you "need" introduces you to yourself. Always has and always will.

I forgot to ask, but how are doing lately jcwit?

Love Life
03-27-2014, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I've got 1600 messages stored out of 400 allowed. I've got to clean some things up after kicking my vendor sponsor status to the curb.

trixter
03-27-2014, 01:40 PM
My son bought an AR, and we got a bunch of (about 2000 once fired) and we reloaded them. Then he sold the AR and I bought a Mossberg MVP .225/556 bolt rifle and find it more fun to shoot what I normally shoot 22lr for; squeaks. Even at today's high prices I can reload these for $13.75 for 550 count.

If and when the 22lr settles out and become more available again, I might go back, In the mean time I am having way too much fun with the new setup.

AMT7
03-27-2014, 05:26 PM
Yes my two 22lr conversion kits are in the safe gathering dust. But the reloading press and soon the 6 cavity Bator bullet mold is gonna get a workout and we are gonna powder coat 'em pretty colors for less than over priced 22lr by a long shot. More boom and range lead for us to scavenge and recycle :-)

monadnock#5
03-28-2014, 09:11 AM
As to altruism, I give blood to the Red Cross. Don't care who gets it. I say a prayer and let the Great Architect take it from there.

I checked Powder Valley the other day. No joy. Where's the powder? I'm personally not worried at this point, but my radar is up.

I don't care what price retailers sell rimfire ammo for. I haven't bought any in near a year, and I'm not expecting to any time soon. There is another move to make on this though. Just say boycott to new rimfires.

The rimfire ammo manufacturers have made it abundantly clear they don't care what I/we think. As in no ammo and no real explanation why. I'll bet though that if the gun manufacturers, and their distributors get involved, we might at least get some answers. It's worth a try.

Love Life
03-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Love Life, I think you're right in addressing this generation by saying: "At the end of the day altruism goes against all species, and self preservation is survival 101", and that is exactly what makes this generation what little it is. Having lost integrity and fortitude people are little better than animals. To me it's how you live life, not how long.

I've seen the same amount of "Gimme my share!!!" from the old timers. Actually I've seen it more from the old timers. Go ahead and continue the generational blame game though.

dragon813gt
03-28-2014, 10:19 AM
Go ahead and continue the generational blame game though.

Ok, it's the old timers that put this nation in the state it's in. It's the younger folks job to clean up the mess they made. And man is it one big mess......or was I not supposed to continue the blame game ;)

Crash_Corrigan
03-28-2014, 11:28 AM
I stopped shooting my sole .22 lr some years ago when the price of ammo got insane. I reload any and all of my pistol rounds for less than 4 cents apiece using used brass and scrap lead. When it come to BPCR I save more as I make my own BP. What concerns me is the continued unavailability of Titegroup and most decent gunpowders. What is the deal there?

Nicholas
03-28-2014, 11:57 AM
I was in a local farm store's sporting good area and found no 22LR. Did note, though that the Hornady 17 HMR was considerably cheaper than the Remington variety. There were good stocks of both and the Hornady was about 26 cents per. I gave a box of 22LR to an 8 yr old girl the other day and it took her very little time to burn it up in her little single shot, having a blast the whole time and busting a few cans. 22LR consumption is high. I see lots of families at the range shooting it. I just think the manufacturers can not keep up with demand. I am glad I stocked up years ago when it was everywhere and cheap. But at the rate some shooters burn this stuff up, my modest stash would not last very long.

clodhopper
03-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Boy it must have been a spirited debate here on this thread. I missed it being away from a computer for a couple days.
The frustration of the current ammo market bubbles forth on cast boolits!
I think the fifty dollar retail price is just a signal that the market is starting to right itself. Do not expect it to happen smoothly.
Rimfire ammo may never sell for the same numerical price of the past, just a little consideration of inflation should make that easy to understand.
It is possible under a strong dollar that a person may work fewer minutes to purchase .22 ammo than it costs now.
No I am not an economist, but firmly do believe the stock market will go all the way up to the moon! With no prediction of what a sixpack will cost or the year it will happen.

triggerhappy243
03-28-2014, 10:04 PM
Just my 2 cents worth, swore Id shut up..... but I cant. 22 ammo is being diverted somewhere between the manufacturer and the retailer... IE the distributers and wholesalers. 22 ammo makers are running 24/7/365 and... well Id better stop right here. bye!

remy3424
03-28-2014, 11:06 PM
What a waste of at thread, say what you want to say, put your opinion out there and move on, we all know what you think already...delete this mess, including my wasted energy on this.

dg31872
03-29-2014, 09:01 AM
When Hillery get elected potus, 22 prices will be the least of our worries.

PTS
03-29-2014, 11:04 AM
Last month at WalMart I bought Federal 36 gr high velocity brick of 550 for $24. Southcentral PA.

Blammer
03-29-2014, 04:29 PM
at that price, around here it'd be gone in a day.

lonewolf5347
03-29-2014, 04:42 PM
I was lucky yesterday online gander mountain had Fed:525 rounds for 24.95 36 gr. bullet on sale
2 boxes limit with shipping around 57.00 total

monadnock#5
04-01-2014, 08:43 PM
I went to my favorite (within a 25 mile radius) gunshop over the weekend. I saw a poster for the S&W M+P 15-22 advertizing "FREE AMMO!!!" with the purchase of a rifle. I didn't ask how much free ammo. For a gun that spits it out faster than you can load a mag, I'd want a bunch of free ammo.

I could be in dreamland here, but maybe the gun manufacturers are beginning to see the light.

rjw1911
04-15-2014, 03:12 PM
Gander Mountain had a Grand Opening for their Fenton MO store starting last Thursday. They advertised several choices of 22 misfire ammo. I didn't bother fighting the crowd Thursday, but went Friday afternoon. Thinking there would be none left, I just thought I'd look around. Ended up with some Winchester Wildcat. 222, 333,and 555 round bulk boxes. $15, $18, and $30. 500 Remington Thunderbolt, $25. 325 CCI Mini Magbulk $30, and 800 rounds Winchester M-22 for $50. They also had plastic ammo cans of 2000 rounds of the Winchester M-22 for $130.
Not really bargain prices, but certainly available. Lots still on the pallets, and more being brought in when I left.
Now I can shoot more again at each trip to the range. Didn't buy it to hold away in the gun room.

dragon813gt
04-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Are they really selling M-22 in 800 round packs now? If so they've clipped 200 rounds and are charging $5 more. That 2k pack is $30 more than it used to be as well.

rjw1911
04-15-2014, 10:27 PM
Are they really selling M-22 in 800 round packs now?
That's what they had. Two, 400 round bulk packs in a larger box. Don't know if it was a special run for Gander Mountain, or what. I haven't seen it in any packaging, so I don't know what it used to be.
I'll start another thread on another question about it.