PDA

View Full Version : scored

Lloyd Smale
03-22-2014, 06:19 AM
im sure you guys have noticed the price of bacon. One of the nessesitys of life like water and air! I was shopping with the wife, something i do about once ever 2 years ;). I noticed in one of the open freezers in the middle of the isle some brown boxes. I looked and it was bacon in 10lb boxes for 19.95. Now thats cheap! Ive been stung before buying boxes of ends and peices where you get more fat that anything. My wife pitched a fit when i took out my pocket knife and opened one up. it was great looking bacon. Only differnce in it and the stuff in the one lb packs is its cut to differnt lenghts. I promptly bought 4 boxes of it. I fryed some up and its great bacon. At well less then half the cost of bacon on the shelf. So im in bacon heaven for a while!!!!

6bg6ga
03-22-2014, 06:27 AM
That is a good score. I can smell the bacon cooking now. I bet that bacon would fit good around the outside of a 1/3 lb burger with 1/2 dozen or so pieces of bacon on top of the cooked burger. I shouldn't say this but its not hard at all to put down 1/2 pound of good bacon while its cooking. Most times I have to cook a lb of it to end up with 1/2 lb. My bad.

Lloyd Smale
03-22-2014, 07:19 AM
just cooked up a lb for breakfast and my wifes still sleeping and the dog and i didnt leave her much!!!!

bdicki
03-22-2014, 07:34 AM
What store was this? A chain store perhaps, maybe I could score as well.

6bg6ga
03-22-2014, 07:57 AM
just cooked up a lb for breakfast and my wifes still sleeping and the dog and i didnt leave her much!!!!

Women don't need bacon.

Lloyd Smale
03-22-2014, 11:31 AM
It was an IGA store in my town. My dad scored the same at an IGA store in his town

Col4570
03-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Bacon is the stuff of dreams.I had it today in a large Chiabata with a Cheese Omelette all packed in between the bread.A couple of Cups of Tea to wash it down complements the simple culinary experience.

Sounds like you hit on a good bargain there.

Changeling
03-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Very Cool Lloyd , I used to get the ends and pieces all the time, better than the regular stuff usually, unfortunately in my area they don't sell it like that any more, really wonder what they do with it since they trim ALL the bacon. What happens to the Pieces ??

What is an IGA store?

Sweetpea
03-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Ahhh... IGA...

I remember turning in a LOT of cans to the local IGA growing up...

Too expensive to shop there much, as it was a resort area. Down off the Saginaw Bay.

Lloyd Smale
03-22-2014, 05:38 PM
Very Cool Lloyd , I used to get the ends and pieces all the time, better than the regular stuff usually, unfortunately in my area they don't sell it like that any more, really wonder what they do with it since they trim ALL the bacon. What happens to the Pieces ??

What is an IGA store?

IGA is a chain grocery store up here. It used to be a much bigger company before walmart and the other super stores came into existance.

Artful
03-22-2014, 07:09 PM
http://www.iga.com/about.aspx

What is IGA?

The Independent Grocers Alliance (IGA) was founded in 1926, bringing together independent grocers across the United States to ensure that the trusted, family-owned local grocery store remained strong in the face of growing chain competition.

Today, that entrepreneurial family business spirit is alive and well, and communities across the U.S. are being served by second, third and even fourth generation independent IGA retailers. And IGA is expanding across the globe, as well; IGA's Hometown Proud stores can now be found all around the world.

In a time of cookie-cutter chains, IGA stores stand out as distinctively unique, just like the communities they serve. Stop in your local IGA and experience shopping the IGA way—with a promise of neighborly service from people you know and trust.

Where is IGA?

The Alliance includes nearly 5,000 Hometown Proud Supermarkets worldwide, with stores in 46 of the United States and more than 30 countries, commonwealths and territories around the globe.

No as much chain as buying block.

MaryB
03-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Small local chain here does that, 10 pound boxes cheap. I always get one to use for baked beans etc. Not ends and pieces, most is good bacon. Vacuum pack it in 1 pound bags and freeze it.

Lloyd Smale
03-23-2014, 06:09 AM
Mary thats what this was. Mostly odd lenght longer peices with just a few ends. Ive bought packs of ends before that were a waste. Just about all fat but this stuff is as good as any bacon you buy in the store. I did the same as you. I vaccum packed it all into one lb packs.

6bg6ga
03-23-2014, 06:44 AM
Yes, IGA. I remember that chain. One of the major ones before the mega chains started honing in taking out the mom and pop stores and the intermediate stores.

BACON!!! BACON!!! BACON!!! I feel like the dog on the beggan strips commercial.

histed
03-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Bacon is one of the four basic food groups, along with ham, sausage and coffee. Now y'all made me hongreee. No IGA here, though. And Weis prices are .....high. Blow a little of that fragrance my way, Lloyd

bdicki
03-23-2014, 08:44 PM
It was an IGA store in my town. My dad scored the same at an IGA store in his town

Thanks, there's one nearby.

sidecarmike
03-23-2014, 09:37 PM
I buy the same kind up here. Covered Wagon brand. White box with red lettering. The store that carries it is about 20 miles from here, but I can always find a reason to run up there. Like the rest, I have a vacuum sealer to turn it in to one pound packs.

http://bacon-labels.blogspot.com/2009/08/covered-wagon-brand-sliced-bacon.html

Irregular just means some slices are thicker than normal or might be thin on one end and thick on the other.

Buy a box of this and you will never be satisfied with blister pack bacon again. This stuff tastes like what came out of the smokehouse when I was a kid.

Lloyd Smale
03-24-2014, 05:24 AM
yup i have to say its got a nicer smokier flavor. Maybe due to lots of it cut off ends that have more smoke flavor then the center but even my wife likes it better then the blister pack bacon
I buy the same kind up here. Covered Wagon brand. White box with red lettering. The store that carries it is about 20 miles from here, but I can always find a reason to run up there. Like the rest, I have a vacuum sealer to turn it in to one pound packs.

http://bacon-labels.blogspot.com/2009/08/covered-wagon-brand-sliced-bacon.html

Irregular just means some slices are thicker than normal or might be thin on one end and thick on the other.

Buy a box of this and you will never be satisfied with blister pack bacon again. This stuff tastes like what came out of the smokehouse when I was a kid.