PDA

View Full Version : need ideas for target holders

LUCKYDAWG13
03-21-2014, 09:28 PM
need some ideas on how to make some target holders for my steel gongs need to be portable
and i don't weld i use a shepherd's hook now but would like something better pictures of your holders would be helpful
thanks

BruceB
03-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Get three pieces of 3/4" rebar , five feet long.

Get a T-post driver

Get several iron plumbing "tees", to fit 1" pipe

Drive two of the rebar rods about a foot into the ground, maybe four feet apart.

Put a "tee" on top of each rod

Slide the third rod through the tees, (and through a hole in the gong's "hanger" if it has one)

Alternatively, run a chain from end-to-end of the horizontal rod, and hang the gong on the chain

Use your imagination! Once you have the basic post-and-tees structure, the sky's the limit as far as hanging the gongs goes.

When you're done, a scuff of a foot removes all traces of the set-up.

Use 3/4" rebar, because thinner rod flexes too much.

Total cost with the post driver...maybe $30. Takes down in seconds with ZERO bulk, repairs easily. Keep a spare rebar rod and an extra tee or two in case of casualties.

sidecarmike
03-21-2014, 10:46 PM
I don't have a photo, but saw one at a range once that was made out of rebar. The guy had six rods about 6 foot long each. One end of each had a loop in it and the other end ground to a point. It looked like he just heated it and bent a loop in one end of each rod. Next, he had a piece of the same stuff, about 4 feet long. It had a small L shape bend on each end. He would snake all six of the long rod rings onto the short rod and set it up. When erected, it looked like a tall saw horse, but with a tripod on each end. Then he had two S shaped pieces that hung from the horizontal bar and hooked into holes on his gong. On each tripod he had a small chain that went through the rings to keep them together, but I think something like a carabiner would work.
I was searching the web and came across this photo. It is a smaller version of almost exactly what he had. This looks like it has a ring on each end of the horizontal rod. I guess you could do that and hook each end into the carabiner as well. His gong had holes at about 10 and 2 o'clock for the S hooks.

The beauty of it was that he had a long canvas tube made that he could slide everything into when it was disassembled.

Hope this makes sense to you.

sidecarmike
03-21-2014, 11:12 PM
Here is a better photo to show what I'm talking about.100174

UBER7MM
03-21-2014, 11:22 PM
This gong support was made from 9 ft of rebar. You got to have soft ground and a hammer with you. I like SideCarMike's idea better because his is self standing.
Get creative!
I hope this helps....

Any Cal.
03-22-2014, 02:39 AM
PVC is a bad idea, I can say that from experience. EMT is a poor idea, I can say that from experience. My best results have been with rebar welded onto steel plates for gongs, but only with lower powered handgun rounds.

Ickisrulz
03-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Steel folding saw horses available at Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_162111-31596-60142_0__?productId=3488679&Ntt=saw+horse&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dsaw%2Bhorse&facetInfo=

LUCKYDAWG13
03-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Get three pieces of 3/4" rebar , five feet long.

Get a T-post driver

Get several iron plumbing "tees", to fit 1" pipe

Drive two of the rebar rods about a foot into the ground, maybe four feet apart.

Put a "tee" on top of each rod

Slide the third rod through the tees, (and through a hole in the gong's "hanger" if it has one)

Alternatively, run a chain from end-to-end of the horizontal rod, and hang the gong on the chain

Use your imagination! Once you have the basic post-and-tees structure, the sky's the limit as far as hanging the gongs goes.

When you're done, a scuff of a foot removes all traces of the set-up.

Use 3/4" rebar, because thinner rod flexes too much.

Total cost with the post driver...maybe $30. Takes down in seconds with ZERO bulk, repairs easily. Keep a spare rebar rod and an extra tee or two in case of casualties.

thanks for all the ideas i like this one

MaLar
03-22-2014, 01:15 PM
For the longest time I used the cheap saw horse method. Since we got a range here we have target holders at the range. Made of 2X4' and 1X's. We make an H shape from 4 2X's with enough room for the 1X uprights in the middle two 2X's.
And a heavy cardboard panel stapled in between.

NineInchNails
03-27-2014, 12:34 AM
This looks pretty cool, but for $40 ... I'll pass. http://www.laststands.com/#!buy-now/c1fn5

If they were $20 a set then I might have 2 sets by now.

mold maker
03-27-2014, 10:38 AM
For smaller paper targets, the political signs that are appearing, work great after the elections.
Around here they have to be removed the day after the election, so your doing the poster somewhat of a favor.

Whiterabbit
03-27-2014, 12:26 PM
In the boy scouts, we learned how to lash.

Any Cal.
03-27-2014, 05:04 PM
I have been thinking of making a run of target holders to sell. If you have something in particular you would like, or a price point you have in mind, let me know and I may be able to include it. Right now I am bouncing around lots of ideas, but each feature adds to the cost/complexity. Anyone up for a group buy type of thing for good target holders?

butch2570
04-13-2014, 08:35 PM
Is there any one around you at all that could Tack weld a couple pieces together for you??? I will post a picture of mine tomorrow, it has each end piece ( the legs) bent into a V and a small piece of metal tacked in the corner of the V with a hole in it that the top pole slides through and the gong hangs on the top pole , it's 3/4 rebar and it's totally self standing, it leans against itself and can be taken down in seconds . If you lived near me I would make you one in 15 minutes..

butch2570
04-14-2014, 08:07 AM
Here is a self standing A -frame target holder, it doesn't have to be any where near this big or this heavy, but the holes in the corner braces do need to be oblong so the legs can lay inward and foul against the top pole so it can stand on it's own.102273102274