PDA

View Full Version : Moly removal

longhorn
09-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Fellow gave me a box of 300 or so Sierra 155gr MatchKings factory moly coated. Since they were free, I'll certainly shoot 'em up. Anybody know if Ed's Red or Hoppes will reliably remove moly from the bore after shooting these bullets? Other suggestions? Thanks!

grumble
09-05-2005, 05:03 PM
longhorn, the way I understnd it, you can't clean the moly out -- it imbeds and physically bonds with the steel of your bore. Or, so I've been told.

That said, I have a 223 that I fully conditioned with moly bullets, and it shoots great. I've also run non-moly bullets through it with no noticable difference other than being very easy to clean. The one thing to be sure of is to get all the copper out before you shoot those moly coated bullets so the rifle bore will be evenly conditioned.

Now that I've stated my experience, everyone else is welcome to come along and tell you why I'm wrong.

StarMetal
09-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Read this:http://www.snipercountry.com/Ammunition/MolyWarning.asp

Joe

waksupi
09-05-2005, 08:13 PM
I went down the moly path for a short time. Didn't like it. I found that Goop hand cleaner applied liberally to a few patches, will remove the stuff. Swab, wipe out with paper towel squares, repeat until clean. Doesn't take long.

felix
09-05-2005, 08:22 PM
The low ph of the moly is the culprit, not the moly itself. Mixing moly with a high ph lube MIGHT circumvent the pitting as pointed out in the sinpercountry article. If you shoot straight up moly bullets, then calcium carbonate (Bonami in grocery store) could neutralize the acidic condition enough to get by between matches. Use normal water to mix up a solution of calcium carbonate and brush that back and forth after every shoot. To me personally, it is not worth the hassle to shoot moly. ... felix

longhorn
09-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks, guys-maybe I'll just trade these along to someone that is already hooked on moly. Or maybe I'll run 'em through my No. 1 in 300 Win mag-that one needs rebarreling to some interesting caliber, anyway.

MOA Shooter
09-06-2005, 09:13 AM
"Even if you live in a dry climate, temperature changes experienced during the hunting season (gun inside warm house - gun outside in the cold) causes the metal to sweat"

So this character is blaming the moly for rusting a barrel under those conditions?? The barrel would rust anyway if the water was laying in the bore from condensation.

Countless competitive shooters have no problems with moly. Because some nimrod comdemns it is only telling the story about himself.

MOA.

Bass Ackward
09-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Fellow gave me a box of 300 or so Sierra 155gr MatchKings factory moly coated. Since they were free, I'll certainly shoot 'em up. Anybody know if Ed's Red or Hoppes will reliably remove moly from the bore after shooting these bullets? Other suggestions? Thanks!

LH,

I use Flitz to remove molly and every thing else. And it comes right out with two patches. I have shot molly for over 20 years and never had a problem. (as long as you don't let it build up) And my bores have no blueing to prevent rust. So if it were a problem, then I would see it right away.

But I did shoot cast for a hunting season of hot and cold temperature change that saw condensation form. And I had rust develop under the lube. The metal sweats and the moisture is trapped under the lube. So should I condem the lube .... or my not pulling proper maintainance for the problem?

All my lubes of late have molly in them and I see no problems in either stainless or carbon. Shoot the bullets, you will be fine.

StarMetal
09-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Geez Bass, I can't believe you shot molly for 20 years and first she's not dead yet and second the law hasn't arrested you!!!!! Heck and third, why she still hang around you?

Joe

felix
09-06-2005, 05:46 PM
BA, the barrel bore itself won't sweat if you have a layer of lube/oil down protecting it. right? Must have had a squeaky clean bore by accident. ... felix

longhorn
09-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Ah, Flitz. I already have that, and I'd have to go buy Goop-which breaks out my hands, anyway. I believe I'll run these through the Ruger.

Bass Ackward
09-07-2005, 06:26 AM
BA, the barrel bore itself won't sweat if you have a layer of lube/oil down protecting it. right? Must have had a squeaky clean bore by accident. ... felix

Felix,

The metal sweats anywhere a quick temperature change takes place. If you have anything on it that retards evaporation, you are vulnerable. In my case the lube prevented evaporation fast enough that I got a rust scale.

Virtually all petroleum products that I have used draw or atract moisture. That's why I use wax for storage. I have some pieces origionaly treated with Pledge that have not had anything applied for 20 years and they are fine.

AZ Pete
09-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Tumble the bullets for an hour or so. Then you will not have moly on them.

longhorn
09-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Pete-tumble 'em in what? Corncobs, walnut hulls, ceramic media? Sounds like the easiest way out-I know only too well how to get plain ol' copper out of a barrel.

AZ Pete
09-13-2005, 11:49 PM
I tumbled my moly coated bullets in walnut. Seems like I had treated it with some Midway polish, but that probably only shortened the tumble time a little. I think that corn cob will do as well. Can't comment on ceramic, because I have never had any.

bascom32423
09-14-2005, 12:30 AM
The low ph of the moly is the culprit, not the moly itself. Mixing moly with a high ph lube MIGHT circumvent the pitting as pointed out in the sinpercountry article. If you shoot straight up moly bullets, then calcium carbonate (Bonami in grocery store) could neutralize the acidic condition enough to get by between matches. Use normal water to mix up a solution of calcium carbonate and brush that back and forth after every shoot. To me personally, it is not worth the hassle to shoot moly. ... felix

Calcium carbonate (aka chalk) is insoluble in water. Easiest to use would be Sodium Bicarbonate (aka baking soda). Get it in the yellow Arm & Hammer box. One of the claimed shooting byproducts of Molybdenum Disulfide (Moly Cote) is Hydrogen Sulfide (the rotten eggs odor) and with water makes a weak acid. Aqueous baking soda would neutralized it.

Henry

AABEN
05-03-2013, 02:02 PM
I have used moly for years and never had one barrel to rust! I use the powder moly from Midway USA. I also use it as a lube before sizing all of my home made bullets.