PDA

View Full Version : Universal M1 Jamming/not ejecting properly?

Buckshot Bill
03-21-2014, 07:56 PM
I traded int othis today, it's my first m1 carbine and as I was afraid of - it jams. I fired 45 rounds from 3 different mags and what you see in the picture below happened 6-7 times, it happened with all 3 magazines. Basically it's like the shell is not ejecting properly and the bolt is closing back down on it but it's not attempting to strip a new round off. Everything looks O.K from the outside but like I say this is my first carbine so the problem could be obvious to someone with some knowledge. any help would be much appreciated.

at this point the casing is extracted from the chamber, it is disengaged from the ejector/extractor then it is pinned between the face of the bolt and the upper part of the receiver. Failing to strip a new round off the mag leads me to believe the bolt is not coming back far enough to allow proper ejection and a new round being fed. the ammo was a partial box of prvi partizan that I was told were factory loads, and appeared as such; otherwise I would blame it on light loads
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e340/crosmansniper/100_8720_zpsd687be54.jpg (http://s42.photobucket.com/user/crosmansniper/media/100_8720_zpsd687be54.jpg.html)

Japlmg
03-21-2014, 08:16 PM
I would say it is short stroking.
Is the rifle clean?
Is the gas system clean?
Is the gas tap off hole clear?
If yes to all of the above, you need to either change the recoil spring(s), or open up the gas vent hole to the next diameter "Number Drill Bit Size".

From what I see, it appears you have one of the late versions of the Universal Carbine, made from stamped and welded up parts.
They either work great, or they are jam-o-matices.
I have gotten many to function correctly by a spring change (I bet yours has two recoil springs).
I think Wolf makes replacement spring sets for the dual spring slide Universal Carbine.

Gregg

Ole
03-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Yup it looks like the gas system isn't getting enough gas to function the action.

I have a late model universal and it works great, even with cast bullets. From what I've read on the internet, I guess I got lucky. :)

Buckshot Bill
03-21-2014, 09:38 PM
well, soon after posting this I remembered they were gas operated (DUH!), found a manual online, stripped it down and the gas system was cruddy as all get out, the steel peg that slides back and forth in the gas block would barely move, I had to tap it out with a punch, after cleaning it slid back into place under it's own weight. I loaded up my last 10 rounds (1944 vintage RA headstamped) and it cycled flawless apart from the last casing getting stuck in the chamber a bit which isn't the gun's fault, it wasn't meant to be shot with 70 year old tarnished ammo. So it looks like the gas system fouling was the problem! Time to get a few boxes of factory to run through it to make sure it suits me then it'll be time for the obligatory set of dies and a boolit mold.

Old School Big Bore
03-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Ditto. Strip & clean including gas tappet, inspect gas orifice, lube innards, try domestic ammo, if still short stroking enlarge port VERY SLIGHTLY.
EDIT: Oops, disregard, you posted that while I was typing. Glad you got it running.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-21-2014, 10:15 PM
BTW, in case you lubed the gas piston chamber, go back, clean out the lube and leave that area dry. Lube just speeds up gumming of the works.

Gtek
03-21-2014, 11:02 PM
I would also kindly suggest you use a good known rifle/action grease in slide track and op-rod to bolt engagement areas. I have seen more than a few cracked sheet metal rods over the years.

Prospector Howard
03-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Sounds like you got it figured out. I was going to suggest that you make sure the extractor isn't worn out too. The same thing will happen if the extractor is worn and rounded. I'm on my third one now on my M1 carbine. It's a good idea to buy an extra one for the future. If you shoot it enough you'll need to replace it at some point.

john hayslip
03-22-2014, 11:55 AM
If you need a set of dies I have a set of so-so RCBS condition dies - two die set - I can let go at a reasonable price, hit me with a PM and I'll try to remember Buckshot Bill has first call!

Buckshot Bill
03-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Thanks fellas. I did not lube the gas system at all, did lube the bolt and track in the receiver. I'll pick up an extra extractor or two, always like to have problem parts on hand for all my guns (extractors, firing pins, buffers etc). Got 200 rounds on the way, should be able to get an idea of what it's made of sometime next week.

Hang Fire
03-22-2014, 04:22 PM
I traded int othis today, it's my first m1 carbine and as I was afraid of - it jams. I fired 45 rounds from 3 different mags and what you see in the picture below happened 6-7 times, it happened with all 3 magazines. Basically it's like the shell is not ejecting properly and the bolt is closing back down on it but it's not attempting to strip a new round off. Everything looks O.K from the outside but like I say this is my first carbine so the problem could be obvious to someone with some knowledge. any help would be much appreciated.

at this point the casing is extracted from the chamber, it is disengaged from the ejector/extractor then it is pinned between the face of the bolt and the upper part of the receiver. Failing to strip a new round off the mag leads me to believe the bolt is not coming back far enough to allow proper ejection and a new round being fed. the ammo was a partial box of prvi partizan that I was told were factory loads, and appeared as such; otherwise I would blame it on light loads
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e340/crosmansniper/100_8720_zpsd687be54.jpg (http://s42.photobucket.com/user/crosmansniper/media/100_8720_zpsd687be54.jpg.html)

Another thing to watch is the Universal is prone to fire out of battery and making a mell of a hess.

Here is ongoing thread on it from another forum. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=747243

Buckshot Bill
03-24-2014, 10:40 PM
holy ****, not sure if I want to shoot it or throw it in the pond now! hopefully keeping it cleaned and lubed will prevent any mishaps, I'll eventually upgrade to a "real" one anyway (when I can afford it). I got this one for cheap on trade basically to see if I would like it well enough to invest in a "good" one.

jimb16
03-25-2014, 08:34 PM
The other cause of the problem youare showing isa broken extractor. Often ther is enough edge to extract the case but not enough to hold the side for the ejector to work. Most likely it isshort stroking, but if that isn't theproblem, then check the extractor.

3006guns
03-27-2014, 09:31 AM
I gave my perfectly good, operational Universal to my son when I acquired one of the new carbine "clones" manufactured to military spec........or so it was advertised. In the space of one week the improperly (factory) installed gas piston seized up, the extractor broke and, after repairs, the firing pin decided to jam in the forward position. That sucker emptied a 15 rd. magazine RIGHT NOW. The gun, with its bolt removed, is sitting in my rack awaiting even more repairs.

Sure wish I had that Universal back now..........