03-21-2014, 04:24 PM
I've got this in the slow cooker today;
1lb beef (or elk if I had any)
1lb chicken
a few jalapenos and Hatch green chiles
Black beans and chili beans
tomatoes and tomato sauce
and some corn

I use some chili seasoning I make with red NM chiles, ground cumin, oregano and S/P to taste

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b582/Luechtefeld/20140321_145630_zps3c0d3b44.jpg (http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/Luechtefeld/media/20140321_145630_zps3c0d3b44.jpg.html)

So what's your favorite recipe?

firefly1957
03-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Looks good.

My recipe used a pound to a pound in a half of ground venison or hamburger The venison needs oil to fry i am using coconut oil now.
Two quarts home canned stewed tomatoes. Or a quart of store bought and 32 oz. tomato juice.
A diced bell pepper. a diced medium large onion, 1/2 bag dried kidney beans soaked two days or three small cans drained, salt and pepper and chili powder to taste.
I brown the meat adding half the onion to it dump everything in the crock pot on high and cook it 6-8 hours or about 4 hours of simmering after bringing to a boil on the stove.
I like mine spicy but the wife does not i would add Jalapenos if just for me it is often served with corn bread .
Chili is very flexible i have added 6 ounces of cheese to make it creamier , A can of refried beans to thicken it, diced apples instead of bell pepper (peppers bother my fathers stomach), I have seen mushrooms ,corn, peanuts,celery,added and also have used canned baked beans along with kidney beans (deer camp shortage it made it a bit sweeter but was good) .

Bonniebelle
03-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Sometimes I throw a few cans of Ranch Style Beans into my chili. Otherwise, it's just ground beef, chopped onion, seasonings, crushed tomatoes, and chile peppers.
My family loves the ranch beans in the black can - the label used to proclaim they were "husband-pleasin' beans" but now it just says, "appetite pleasin'". Oh well.

DougGuy
03-21-2014, 07:10 PM
I've got this in the slow cooker today;
1lb beef (or elk if I had any)
1lb chicken
a few jalapenos and Hatch green chiles
Black beans and chili beans
tomatoes and tomato sauce
and some corn

I use some chili seasoning I make with red NM chiles, ground cumin, oregano and S/P to taste

Looks good! I like chili with a little color and crunch..

Here is my deer chili recipe: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?229207-Deer-Chili-for-the-Superbowl-%28or-whatever-bowl-you-serve-it-in!-wink-%29&p=2608567&viewfull=1#post2608567

Best side to serve with chili? Grilled cheese sandwich on whole/multi grain bread! I like my chili a little soupy so I can dip the sandwich in the chili gravy...

rondog
03-21-2014, 07:13 PM
Oh man, I just clipped a chili recipe out of the paper and made it, I'll come back with it later (sitting in a parking lot on my phone right now). I used 3lbs of ground venison instead of beef, and it's AWESOME! Best chili I've ever had! It's a big recipe though, makes a LOT. I had to use the electric turkey roaster, didn't have a big enough pot. But I had plenty to share and some to freeze. Good stuff!

Ok, here it is -

3 lbs lean ground beef or venison
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 16-ounce cans whole or diced tomatoes, undrained
1 16-ounce can diced Rotel tomatoes (spicy)
1 16-ounce can tomato sauce
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
4 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

Brown meat over medium heat in large stockpot. Drain fat. Add onion, peppers and garlic. Stir in chili powder, oregano, basil, red pepper and cumin, mix well. Cook until onions are tender. Add sugar and salt. Stir in tomatoes, sauce, paste and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30-40 minutes.

I had a bowl after about 45 minutes and it was great. But I let it simmer on low for a few hours more and it was freakin' AWESOME! I'm not real big on hot, spicy chili, but I love blended flavors. You could add whatever you want to make it hotter, I don't even use crackers or cheese with this.

MT Gianni
03-21-2014, 08:15 PM
I add cubed venison and sausage, about a lb of each. Brown it with 2/3 of a baseball sized onion and add 2-3 cloves of crushed garlic. Add 1 can full of tomatoes, flavored italian, mexican or plain + can of water. Let that cook down for a couple of hours then add a chopped red pepper, 1/2 green bell pepper and hot peppers if you like them. I like a Caribbean spice that is smother than jalapenos to my palate, and add green chile sauce when I serve it. My wife tops it with cheddar but I am not much of a cheese fan. Serve beans on the side.

Dale in Louisiana
03-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Ten years ago I started blogging, and the third post on the thing was the response to a contest for chili recipes. Mine did quite well.

Chili Recipe (http://mostlycajun.com/wordpress/?p=3)

Dale in Louisiana

MaryB
03-21-2014, 09:47 PM
* Exported from MasterCook *

Chili

Recipe By :Mary Brown
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds beef chuck -- chopped in 1/4 inch pieces
45 ounces beef stock(just enough to cover for thick chili, use more for thin)
8 ounces tomato sauce
15 ounces diced tomato
1 tablespoon salt
1 medium onion -- coarsely chopped
4 teaspoons bacon grease
4 tablespoons chili powder -- mild
3 tablespoons chili powder; hot -- hot, I use my own blend. To taste, might try 1 tablespoon to start
2 cloves garlic -- chopped fine

Fry meat seasoned with the salt in the bacon grease until browned. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft.

Add 3 cans of beef stock and simmer for 1 hour or until meat starts to get tender.

Add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes and the mild chili powder. Simmer for 45 minutes.

Add the hot chili powder, simmer another 30 to 45 minutes.

Serve with crackers, sour cream and cheese if desired.

Beans are optional, drain and add during the last 10 minutes of the cook.

My own recipe from my cookbook software

DLCTEX
03-23-2014, 06:50 AM
Real chili does not have beans in it. We prefer Hammet House chili seasoning which we order online now, but bought locally when we lived in Claremore, OK. where it originated.

6bg6ga
03-23-2014, 06:54 AM
Texas chili doesn't have beans in it your correct. Most of up prefer to have beans in our chili.

wnmGng
03-23-2014, 10:47 AM
All of these sound good. I think beans add a lot to chili, I've had it without, and I prefer my fake chili.

DougGuy
03-23-2014, 10:56 AM
I have nothing against Texas chili, but I like to see some color and some crunch in there, it makes it more interesting and complex in just the right ways. In addition to several different kinds of beans, sometimes I will add some fresh cut 1" green beans, celery, corn, red, yellow, and green bell pepper, people often compliment on the extra stuff in there.

There is one of the Meat Eater episodes where they are hunting New Mexico pronghorn antelope and the ranch owner makes antelope chili to go in tacos. It is meat and gravy, New Mexico style chili. It looked really good in the pot and even better when they made tacos with it. I'd certainly try it!

Dale in Louisiana
03-23-2014, 01:01 PM
Real chili does not have beans in it. We prefer Hammet House chili seasoning which we order online now, but bought locally when we lived in Claremore, OK. where it originated.

The sad thing is that chili, like Cajun gumbo, is attempted by many people with little or no knowledge of the preparation of the proper, authentic dish. I've seen 'chili' that was nothing more than a sad little bowl of vegetable soup with a little comino in it.

I won't even talk about gumbo, since there's a Creole version (from that root of all evil in Louisiana: New Orleans) that is red and contains Lord only knows what.

Relax. Let 'em call that vegetable soup chili or gumbo or whatever. Some of us know the truth.

People who know beans about chili,
Know that chili has no beans.

They're cooked on the side. Add 'em if you want 'em. But give me my bowl of red.

dale in Louisiana
(who is thankful for Texas chili)

Shiloh
03-27-2014, 01:05 PM
I prefer beans in my chili. Like meatloaf, there are endless variations.

Shiloh

Artful
04-02-2014, 01:23 AM
I prefer beans in my chili. Like meatloaf, there are endless variations.

Shiloh

True - I had a friend from Mexico - he brought me in some of his Chili - his mother's receipe - NO BEANS and NO MEAT - it was Pepper pod Chili - had onion and garlic and Mexican Oregano and other spices - but color me surprised.

Whiterabbit
04-02-2014, 01:51 AM
additives that make any chili better, and its gonna sound really really weird:

#1 escargot. open a can, rinse, slice, add. It's the smell. The smell is incredibly yummy. Doesn't add much in terms of taste. Maybe slight earthiness, it's lovely. But it's the amazing smell that makes it worth adding.

#2 (and not at the same time as #1!) lavender. here's a case of less being more. Like, 8th of a tsp per 3-4 cups of chili kinda level. adds a floral taste that is fresh and out of this world. I added enough to add color. not so tasty at that point.

Moonie
04-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Below is my chili recipe, making the chili powder is complicated and involved and makes the process more drawn out but it really makes a huge difference, using store bought chili powder makes a great chili, the home made makes it incredible:

1TB Vinegar
1TB Ground Cumin
1/3-1/2 C Home made Chili powder (recipe below)
1TB Salt
1 Medium onion, finely chopped
28 oz fine diced tomatos
1 tsp Pepper
10oz Beer or water (I usually use 1/2 water and 1/2 whatever home made ale I have kegged)
2 beef bullion cubes
2lbs coarse ground or diced beef, venison or your meat of choice
1TB minced Garlic
1tsp Oregano
1TB Mesa flour
1/2 cup water

2tsp Chipotle Chili Powder *
1/2tsp Hot sauce*
1/2tsp Cayenne Pepper*

In a large bowl combine beef, onions and garlic. in a Dutch oven or stockpot brown beef. Add all remaining ingredients except mesa and 1/2 cup water. Stir until well blended. Simmer covered for 2 hours stiring occasionally.

1/2 hour before time to eat combine mesa and 1/2 cup water and mix well, add to chili and stir. This is where you want to add beans if you want to use them.

Ingredients with a * after them should be left out for mild chili, all 3 of them will increase the spiciness, if you want it even spicier then increase the Cayenne pepper and hot sauce or change its type to a hotter one.

------------------------------
Home made chili powder.

Ingredients

3 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 guajillo chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Directions

Place all of the chiles and the cumin into a medium nonstick saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, moving the pan around constantly, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.

Once cool, place the chiles and cumin into the carafe of a blender along with the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. Process until a fine powder is formed. Allow the powder to settle for at least a minute before removing the lid of the carafe. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.