PDA

View Full Version : Die scratching bullets

rodsvet
03-21-2014, 01:21 PM
I have a Magma .430 die that scratches the bullet where the unplugged lube hole are. All 3 holes do it and collect lead and clog up. It never did this before. Looking into the barrel of the die it appears smooth and polished. Can it be polished easily with something, or should I just chuck it into the trash and buy a new one? Pictures won't help as it looks perfect inside. The scratches are made on soft lead or linotype. Thanks, Rod

HATCH
03-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Use a brass bore brush and a drill. After a few mins you should be good

MT Chambers
03-21-2014, 04:35 PM
I agree with Hatch, sometimes the "pick" you use to remove lead shot will raise up a burr on the inside of die, just use something to lightly polish it out.

rodsvet
03-21-2014, 05:32 PM
Thank guys, I tried that and it was better but still scratches. I'm going to send it to Magma and they will polish it. I really don't want to get aggressive and ruin it. I think I must have caused a burr like you guys said when changing the shot. Thanks, Rod

rodsvet
03-22-2014, 10:50 AM
I talked to lathesmith and he offered to polish the die for free! It isn't even one of his. Now that's what I call above and beyond when you offer to repair another company's equipment. He's the man!! Great guys on this forum!

kayak1
03-22-2014, 08:27 PM
I talked to lathesmith and he offered to polish the die for free! It isn't even one of his. Now that's what I call above and beyond when you offer to repair another company's equipment. He's the man!! Great guys on this forum!

I just received two more from Lathesmith Friday and he really makes great dies. He is also a nice person!

6bg6ga
03-22-2014, 08:59 PM

I managed to kick up a burr in one of my dies and Lathesmith took care of it for me. This is why I buy my dies and punches from him. That was the first and last time I used lead shot to plug the lube holes of that die.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-23-2014, 10:17 AM
Bamboo toothpicks and meat skewers will not burr your dies and work well enough to get the shot out if you need to get it out.

bbqncigars
03-23-2014, 10:57 PM
Chris (lathesmith) is THE MAN where Star dies are concerned. Unparalleled workmanship coupled with a fast turn around. You'd be nuts to have anyone elses dies.

6bg6ga
03-24-2014, 06:22 AM
second that

Brenden
03-24-2014, 08:00 PM
Could it be a piece of shot pushed in too far that is causing the scratching? If this started to occur after replacing the shot I could see this happening rather than raising a burr.

rodsvet
03-24-2014, 08:03 PM
The scratches are in line with the open lube holes not the ones plugged with shot. It look mirror smooth inside but the open holes collect lead. The funny thing is that it never did this before and that all three hole are doing it. Rod

6bg6ga
03-25-2014, 06:10 AM
Send it to Lathesmith and he can fix it. Once fixed I would suggest trying the tape method and leave the lead shot in the drawer.

captaint
03-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Now I'm lost..... What's the tape method ??

6bg6ga
03-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Now I'm lost..... What's the tape method ??

With the Star/Magma sizer you can wrap tape over the unused lube holes in the sizing die instead of pounding shot into them.

rodsvet
03-30-2014, 06:09 PM
As an update on the scratched die. I called Sylvia at Magma and she said to send it in. I did and they polished it up and it works perfectly. They did this for no charge and even paid the return postage! I think both of our die makers are really out to give customer service! Rod

FISH4BUGS
04-03-2014, 05:43 PM
I have two of these dies 358 that scratch the drive bands. I'll try the brass bore brush and drill method.
How long do I go until I actually cure the problem or send them to Lathesmith?