PDA

View Full Version : repair for butchered gas check shank

gtgeorge
03-21-2014, 12:27 PM
I purchased a mold that someone cut little v's in the gas check shank area to help secure gas checks (I think) It is a steel mold in 7mm and would love to repair this area but have no idea how to go about it or if it is even possible.

leadman
03-21-2014, 12:34 PM
I do know from experience that JB Weld will not work. It would need to be welded up or metal sprayed and remachined but would be cheaper to buy a new mold.

376Steyr
03-21-2014, 12:57 PM
It is possible to repair. Erik at www.hollowpointmold.com can fix it.

Doc Highwall
03-21-2014, 01:53 PM
What make is the mould and what number is it? You could always make a plain base mould out of it or sell it.

gtgeorge
03-21-2014, 02:32 PM
It's a RCBS 7mm-168-SP. When I bought it I had hoped it was not too bad. I had thought about making it a plain base but not sure how well that would do as I was planning on it for my 7mm mag. I do have a wire welder and can also braze with the oxy/acc but not sure if that would get it too hot and ruin it....

Ben
03-21-2014, 03:25 PM
The repair ( with shipping ) may get close to the cost of a new mold ?

Ben

MBTcustom
03-21-2014, 03:31 PM
If it were mine, I would face off the top of the mold, making it a PB boolit. Or I would bore out the GC area doing the same thing.

swheeler
03-21-2014, 03:38 PM
I think if you really wanted to "save" the mold you could have the top milled off removing the GC shank, then have a plate fitted to the top of the mold that would form the gas check shank, couple countersunk screws to hold it and sprue plate back on top.

Ben
03-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Boring out the g/c shank area turning the mold into a plain base design, makes the most sense to me .

Ben

gwpercle
03-21-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm assuming you have already tried the mould out...casting, checking, sizing and shooting a few.
If not , it won't cost anything to give it a go...who knows , it might shoot just fine.

gtgeorge
03-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Sizing die just arrived a bit ago...( Thanks Lathesmith) and I will give it a try shortly but fear there is too much extra material there looking at them. Who knows, maybe they will shoot but I have my doubts. If not I guess I will plain base it and move on and not buy modded molds in the future hoping for the best.

birddog
03-21-2014, 07:08 PM
With the cost of a new mold much cheaper than the repairs suggested, buy the new one and sell the old one to someone that needs the project.
Charlie

beagle
03-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Before I did anything, I'd give it a try. Since the cuts were made to enlarge the GC shank because it was too small for the GC, it probably was. Before I got too drastic, I'd take a 1/4" bolt with a smooth shank in an electric drill and slowly try and turn the cuts off. The mould material for RCBS moulds is very soft so you'll have to go slow. Have the pot fired up and work on the GC shank, cast and try. I'm betting you can get it to where it fits a shank and doesn't look too bad. Won't make any difference how it looks anyway as it will be hidden by the GC. What I'd try anyway./beagle

GP100man
03-26-2014, 01:55 PM
I`m with the try it camp , once ya get em on & sized ya can`t see the extras.

375RUGER
03-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Don't try to weld it, it's a cast iron block.
I'd make a plain base out of it myself, if it doesn't work as-is. There maybe some here (myself included) that would buy that mould in PB config or buy to make it a PB.

gtgeorge
03-26-2014, 10:48 PM
I will likely be making it a plain base. The gas checks would not go on (at least not the Hornady I have). I used a razor knife to trim a few, used a 12P 6mm socket spinning the base into the taper, and used a spring that fit snug. The spring did the best as far as removing the extra lead leaving a nice round shank. I will see how they shoot but not worth the extra work. I did want a PB mold anyway.

Thanks for all the advise and offers. If I choose to sell it I will offer it here.

I do find it odd that it dropped 180.2gr +/- .2gr bullets (lubed & checked) with 3-3-94. SO to make it a PB would add more weight?

375RUGER
03-27-2014, 11:05 AM
A little bit of extra weight. I have 2 other RCBS moulds and they both throw heavier (~5-10%) than spec'd, which makes me smile.

country gent
03-27-2014, 11:43 AM
While the mold could be fixed its not going to be cost effective to return it to a gas checked version. While it could be welded up and recut the time it takes to correctly weld cast iron is an issue. Pre heat to temp, weld ( going to take a very skilled welder also), post heat with slow cool over several hours in an oven. Then setting it up in a mill or lathe and recutting the shank to size and location. The plate idea sounds good with a couple dowels on each side for alighnment and a flat head screw to hold in place. Heating and cooling cycles, vibration from tapping will loosen the screws and work on the dowels.
I would simply set it up and cut to plain base. The few thousandthe added to the short length of the gas checks base will add very little wieght.
Another route to go would be to have a gas check maker made to fit this moulds shank and make your own gas checks for it.