PDA

View Full Version : Active group buy 9mm no lube groove

cs86
03-21-2014, 12:45 AM
Just thought I'd throw this here for anyone interested if they haven't seen it. There is a group by for Mihec molds for no lube groove 9mm boolits. It sounds like it will be a quick turn around. I was surprised that I didn't see more people jumping on it right away from the PC world, then wondered if many knew about it.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?235242-MiHec-9-mm-NO-LUBE-GROVE-mold-for-alternativ-coating-135-or-125-grain

dverna
03-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Could someone help me understand the advantages of a no lube groove bullet? Does the added bearing surface make them more accurate?

The lube grooves do not appear to cause any issues. In fact, they may help by providing a place for material that is displaced during the sizing process.

I recently purchased an expensive mold from one of the group buys and it would be difficult to justify adding a second grooveless mold. One option is to send the mold out to have the grooves removed.

Don Verna

Echd
03-21-2014, 04:41 PM
I'm not perfectly convinced a grooveless mold will work any better than a traditional one. PC boolits after all do get deformed just like normal uncoated lead.

That said, I am very interested in the results, and would love to see groups shot from ransom rests and the like. If it turns out well I will just end up kicking myself and waiting for one to turn up in S&S for a while.

Love Life
03-21-2014, 05:08 PM
From what I have seen so far with the HT coating is bullets with a longer bearing surface are more accurate. It's actually quite noticeable.