PDA

View Full Version : Lead in pistol caliber carbine

dj454
03-20-2014, 11:45 AM
I wasn't sure where to post this and I did search and couldn't find the answers I am looking for. I am considering a pistol caliber carbine in either 9mm or 40 S&W. I load and cast for both so it will depend on what I find first at the right price.

I cast my pistol bullets from wheel weight lead and coat with Hi tec bullet coating. In my handguns I am shooting low velocity generally nothing over 1000 fps. I know in a carbine the speed would increase and I am concerned about leading.
Do you guys think I would need to use a harder lead for bullets for a carbine? I have very little issues with leading now that I worked out all the bugs but I have never tried them in a longer barrel. Thanks.

jimb16
03-20-2014, 12:42 PM
I've got a 94 Wnchester that Iuse in .45 colt. I use the same loadas I use for my Blackhawk. No leading problems here.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-20-2014, 01:50 PM
There is a velocity gain from the longer barrel, but generally, not enough to matter. You may want to consider adjusting your loads for the rifle to increase your effective range.

Another thing you may want to look at is your boolit lube. Is it hard enough to hold up and provide lube at the increased velocity? In most cases, the answer is likely yes, because the gain in velocity isn't enough to matter for pistol cartridges. But a check of the velocity increase and a visit to Lars pages to look at various lubes and their intended velocities will answer that.

ipijohn
03-20-2014, 06:53 PM
I have been shooting close to max loads in my 995TS and 4595TS carbines without any leading. I get around 1200 FPS with 125 grn NOE HP powder coated out of the 995TS and slightly over 1000 FPS with MiHec 230 grn HP powder coated out of the 4595TS. I am using range scrap for both and have zero leading in either.

robertbank
03-20-2014, 07:04 PM
I found I gained anywhere from 150 - 250 fps in my carbines using 9MM, 38Spl, .357 mag or 44 Mag. No leading a=in any of the carbines.

Take Care

Bob

Sgtonory
03-20-2014, 07:09 PM
I shoot at 1400 fps out of a 9mm hi-point carbine and i use softer than WW aloy around 8-10 BHN from range scrap. I have 0 issue with leading this is with cheap homemade lube also. The same load shoots at around 1100 fps out of a handgun.

MtGun44
03-21-2014, 02:11 AM
Different concept lube - good luck. If it was regular stuff, not LLA or the paints - I'd say
yes. You are the test pilot, report back.

Please - harder alloy is not a useful route to less leading in most cases. This is an
old wives tale. Harder may hold rifling with high rotational acceleration in some barrels.
It can prevent boolit slumping and distorting due to high acceleration at launch, but it is
not directly tied to leading in most situations. Fit, lube and design are the key
variables. You have a new lube - test it and see.

Bill