PDA

View Full Version : Custom powder measure

burrkiss
03-20-2014, 12:02 AM
I have the yellow Lee dippers and a need a little different charge. I need a .4 cc dipper, .5 is over max and .3 is a squib load. I cannot find custom dippers, except for Lee Adjustable Shot Dipper which is a little big for me. Does anyone know where to get them, or am I going to grab my dremel and a fat dowel rod and waste a hour + making this?

(I dont really want a big fancy scale like RCBS, just a little dipper.)

starmac
03-20-2014, 12:44 AM
Personally, and this is just me, but if .3 is a squib load and .5 is over max. I wouldn't be comfortable with a dipper.

It is pretty easy to modify your dipper or even build a new one to your specs with a shell casing, but you would still need a scale to see what you wind up with, or at least I would.

burrkiss
03-20-2014, 01:24 AM
Shell casing. Perfect. I have a scale that does +- .01 grains so i can check my size. I can just grind the case smaller and smaller with my dremel to the correct size. Thanks star, I just needed a point in the right direction.

.22-10-45
03-20-2014, 01:32 AM
You could try one of those hole punch kits sold at Harbor Freight..I have used cardboard wads that are snug fit in dipper for reducing capacity.

dikman
03-20-2014, 06:11 AM
I've made a couple up out of shell casings, just soldered a bit of brass rod on for a handle. I've also used brass tube and just soldered a flat piece on for the bottom. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but then I bought a powder thrower and found it easier and much faster to fill the phials that I use for holding my BP charges.