PDA

View Full Version : My New Toy

rickomatic
03-18-2014, 11:20 PM
Having grown up in the 50's and 60's I've always wanted a "real" six shooter. Must have been that Mattel "Shootin Shell" Fanner 50 I has that sparked the flame.
Well, I finally bit the bullet a couple weeks ago. She's not a .45, or even a 44-40, but she's all mine. And, if non other than Elmer Keith carried a 32-20 Colt SAA in his youth, it's good enough for this aging baby boomer.
1899 built and shipped Colt Single Action Army, 4-3/4" barrel, "transitional" steel frame, all #'s matching with some beautiful patina. And, yes, shootable, although I'm sticking with black powder and cast, just to be kind to her. I even scored an Ideal #4 reloading tool I've been playing with. Pure fun.

gmsharps
03-18-2014, 11:37 PM
Looks like you scored a winner. Have fun and let us know how it shoots

gmsharps

JeffG
03-18-2014, 11:56 PM
Very nice!

gray wolf
03-19-2014, 12:58 PM
Turn it right side up before you shoot it. :bigsmyl2:
Other than that it's a fine looken iron, enjoy

rintinglen
03-19-2014, 01:09 PM
That gun's no good--no Hi-cap Magazine, doesn't start with a "4", not made out of plastic in some foreign country. Besides which, there's a hole in the barrel. Somebody sure snookered you!:kidding:

Congratulations on a neat gun, I'd have bought it, too. Hope it shoots good for you. If is a serial number over 192,000 then it will be "Verified proof" for smokeless, though some sources put the serial number lower. The ID will be if the VP stamp is there on the frame or trigger guard. I'd still keep it mild, but I'd druther avoid the hot soapy water stuff.

bedbugbilly
03-19-2014, 09:48 PM
Congrats! She's a beauty even if she was built upside down! :-) LOL

You have what "I would like"! I probably will never own a nice Colt like yours but I'm looking at one of the Cimarrons (combo) that has a 32-20 and 32 H & R set of cylinders. I've always wanted to reload the 32-20 - I hope you'll keep us posted on how it goes for you.

I dow have a "Colt Coy[" of this revolver made in Belgium in the late 1800's - a 5 1/2" barrel and chambered in 32 WCF (32-20). It belonged to my great-uncle who was a traveling rep for International Harvestor in the late 1800s and very early 1900s - he traveled all over the midwest and the west. I even have the original "store bought" flap holster and cartridge belt that went with it. Being a "Belgium copy", I'm sure it was a fairly "cheap" outfit (pistol and leather) at the time. Unfortunately it isn't in shooting condition so I have it proudly displayed in a glass covered shadow box.

The 32 WCF is an interesting cartridge with a great history. Whle it may not be a "Colt 45" like you and I and others of our generation always heard about (I had a "Fanner 50" as well!) - it's a great cartridge that saw a lot of use. Enjoy that fine pistol and keep us informed on how she shoots - you are a lucky man to have it!

Love Life
03-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Those guns really take you back in time when you old them in your hand. Enjoy that beautiful revolver!!

John Allen
03-19-2014, 10:14 PM
I have wanted an old Colt SAA for a while but have not found one that was decent and a reasonable price. Some day hopefully soon.

rickomatic
03-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all the nice replies guys. I attached and unattached several pictures because they kept being upside down. The one there now shows right side up on my iPad. Not sure why I'm having that problem. Never did before. Weird.
As for serial number, she's a low 191xxx, so, right before they started officially proofing them. I've shot a few black powder and Pyrodex loads and might try a beginning Trailboss load. To be safe though, I'll probably stick to black. I've gleaned lots of black powder cleaning tips here and elsewhere. Besides, it might instill better cleaning discipline in me overall for all my guns. Ha!
When the weather warms up a bit I think I'll cast a few boolits from the old Ideal tool I snagged and see how they shoot. For now, the few I have loaded and shot have been 118 gr. hard cast commercial.

MtGun44
03-21-2014, 02:28 AM
Are you in Australia or New Zealand? :kidding:

Nice pistol. Can't see why mild smokeless loads would be a problem. Lower power
cartridge and VERY think cyl and barrel walls on that one. Seems like the risk of
corrosion from accidentally missing a bit of BP residue would outweigh the risk of
a kaboom with smokeless.

BUT - it is YOUR gun, my opinion counts for nothing, so carry on, sir.
Enjoy that historical piece.

Bill

Lefty SRH
03-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Very cool, 115yrs old six gun

jonp
03-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Have the gangsta's switched from sideways to upside down hold?

Walter Laich
03-22-2014, 01:59 PM
You're on your way to cowboy shooting. Only one more single action and a lever rifle in pistol caliber and a shotgun, SxS or 97
I get to shoot mine a lot at these matches

TheDoctor
03-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Have the gangsta's switched from sideways to upside down hold?

Those were OG! The ORIGINAL gangstas! Not the wannabe pretenders of today. The ones now do not have the skill to hold 180 off.

6bg6ga
03-23-2014, 08:27 AM
Be interesting to view a picture of you shooting the old girl. Enjoy

philthephlier
03-25-2014, 08:14 AM
RICKOMATIC,

I noticed you are from Snohomish Co., Washington. I hope you and your family are safe and that there will be some good news about those missing.