PDA

View Full Version : Anybody try these LR primer adaptors????

AlaskanGuy
03-18-2014, 09:09 PM
I have one heck of a time getting 209 primers... Anybody try these large rifle primer adaptors for muzzle loaders????

Here is the link,

http://prbullet.com

Zymurgy50
03-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Looks interesting, while I still have the better part of 1k Fiocchi's and a couple hundred (old) *57's, this may be the way to go when they run out..

AlaskanGuy
03-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Here is a link to some folks that have tried them for your review....

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/389463-large-rifle-primer-vari-flame-primer-adapter.html

johnson1942
03-18-2014, 10:18 PM
if you cant get 209 primers then go for it. as far as accracy i dont buy that, all my muzzleloaders shoot 209 primers in the magspark nipple system and you cant make them more accurate than they are. i find the fouling comes more from the lube and powder together than the powder and primer. ive gone to useing less lube and non at all on my paperpatch bullets. and the fouling greatly deminished. pacific rifle co. used to make a big bore under hammer that was double hammer and fire two primers into the powder. they were and very accurate. the advantage of this priming system is availability of primers. here their is a store full of 209 primers just 15 miles away but we all dont have that next to us.

OverMax
03-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Those fellows up in Canada sure make some interesting ignition gadgets for those Omega's models. This Insert for L-rifle primers is something new I've never seen before.

starmac
03-19-2014, 02:42 AM
Here I was thinking you were lucky that thing used 209 primers, because when we couldn't buy any kind of primers here (like right now) or muzzle loader caps, sportsmans nearly always has 209 primers.

Dryball
03-19-2014, 06:56 AM
I have done business with them. They are great to say the least! Even if you call with questions they will answer them without making you feel like a heel. And, their products are top notch.

curator
03-19-2014, 08:37 AM
Alaskaguy,

These Large rifle primer adapters are not a direct replacement for #209 primers. They are larger; the size of a .22 Hornet case head and rim. You need a modified breech-plug to use these. Their "Vari-flame" primer adapter uses small rifle/pistol primers and is designed to use in place of #209 without any modifications. They work fine even with Pyro-**** pellets but I have never found them to increase accuracy or reduce fouling.

AlaskanGuy
03-19-2014, 09:11 AM
Well, my problem is I just cant get 209's shipped where I live, and havent seen any new primers here in almost 2 years.... If large primers are able to be used, i just wanna keep my options open... Large rifle primers are able to be used, all the better... Also, my brass shotgun shells use pistol primers.... There should be a way to use them in regular shotshells as well.....

AG

johnson1942
03-19-2014, 06:48 PM
is it that your not allowed primers in the mail? and they dont have them in town. can they be shipped ups or another way? forgive me but i thought you were talking about muzzle loaders but now i see you want to reload shot shells.

jonas302
03-19-2014, 07:18 PM
Have you ever tried rebuilding your used 209 primers just push out the old primer put the little anvil back in and reprime with rifle primer

AlaskanGuy
03-19-2014, 11:19 PM
Nobody will ship primers in the mail to alaska, no how, no way.... If I could get 1 k of primers, i wouldnt be trying to figure this out....

Tried putting a lr primer into a pushed out 209 primer today... No joy.... Soooo just looking for options... There is noplace that sells them where i live, and last year when i made a special run to anchorange for powder and primers, got lots of lr and every other type except 209.... None available....

AG

starmac
03-19-2014, 11:39 PM
If you know of anyone coming up here, I can get you some. I have never even checked the price, but sportsmans always has some, in fact most of the time that is all they have on the shelf. Send one of them carrier eagles up and I will load him down. lol

johnson1942
03-20-2014, 12:32 PM
you guys scared me so bad i bought 400 of them yesterday and when i go to gordon again in a few days im going to buy 400 more. we can only buy 400 at a time. i guess im contributing to the rush but i dont want to get caught short.

AlaskanGuy
03-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Lol at mr Roger......

starmac
03-20-2014, 02:48 PM
is it that your not allowed primers in the mail? and they dont have them in town. can they be shipped ups or another way? forgive me but i thought you were talking about muzzle loaders but now i see you want to reload shot shells.

No roads going to where AKguy lives, and ups doesn't swim anywhere. lol

AlaskanGuy
03-20-2014, 02:53 PM
Well, my muzzy uses 209's also..... But the core problem is availability of 209 primers for shot shell and muzzy.

LeftyDon
03-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Have you tried Ballistic Products? They seem to specialize in shotgun & muzzle loading supplies and I would think they must have some experience with shipping shotgun reloading stuff to Alaska.

AlaskanGuy
03-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Yes don, I did try Ballistic products... No dice....

LeftyDon
03-20-2014, 08:35 PM
Is it all of Alaska or just where you are in Alaska?

starmac
03-20-2014, 08:59 PM
UPS or fedex or usps does not do any ground shipping to anywhere in Alaska, so our alternative is ship it on the barge, which isn't feasible unless it is 100 pounds. A barge can only carry 400 pounds at a whack, and it has to be divided up in no more than 100 pound lots, and separated to all four corners of the barge. Then once it hits anchorage, there is no such thing as ground shipping to where AK guy is. lol Most companies will not ship ammo, powder or primers to Alaska. Then even if it does get to AK, you can take loaded ammo on the plane, but not powder or primers to get to his place. lol He would have to take the ferry and drive quite a ways to get to where it came in on the barge. lol

.5mv^2
03-20-2014, 09:16 PM
I think I read about using 25acp brass cut down and small primers.

jonas302
03-20-2014, 11:14 PM
I'm curious as to why it didn't work to rebuild the 209 I just did one put a washer on top of your shell holder push out the primer with lee decap die or a punch and a hole in the bench reinsert anvil we don't really need the anvil with the rifle primer fill it with lead to the right level for the primer to seat against or the firing pin will drive it forward and not set it off then I just set primer in pressed it between the ram and edge of a die

Want to make it faster if you have a #5 shell holder and a 410 shell with a nice loose pocket just set your 209 in and you can press the old one out and send a new one in with the primer arm

AlaskanGuy
03-20-2014, 11:28 PM
I think that is why it diddnt work.. the primer had a dimple in it after trying it, but it did not fire.... prolly cuz there was nothing for it to press against.... I will try that one next time...

Tackleberry41
03-28-2014, 12:53 PM
I guess for those having a hard time getting 209s this might be a good thing. Walmart here carries 209 when they have muzzle loading supplies, and the LGS around the corner always has the 10 packs sold for muzzle loaders. I bought a brick of them not long ago.

Now if there was some proof of an advantage to this system, Im all ears. The web site says 209 primers are so much more powerful, I always thought they were mostly just a rifle primer in the little sleeve for shot shells, not a special more powerful primer?

koehlerrk
03-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Sounds like AK guy needs a flintlock...

AlaskanGuy
03-29-2014, 08:39 PM
Lol... I got one....