PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way?

butch2570
03-18-2014, 08:28 PM
What's the best way to store powder and primers outside in a unheated and uncooled situation? I thought maybe you guys had some favorite tactics for keeping your stuff hidden and dry, when it's not possible to keep all your things in the house or garage..?

Animal
03-18-2014, 08:49 PM
A metal ammo can and an oxygen absorbed should do the trick. I hope it does because that is how I'm currently storing ammo.

If you want to bury it, I have seen where people have had great luck using old refrigerators and freezers underground. This seems to work especially well for storing food because the temperature stays pretty constant.

I've mulled over the idea of doing something similar to that if I need to free up some space in doors. Ammo can w/02 absorber, wrap it in trashbags to keep moisture away from the can, drop it in a freezer/fridge... bury it like a casket and be done with it. Just don't forget where ya buried the dang thing.

The fridge idea will let you open and close it if you ever feel the need to inventory what you have. Just done bury it too deep. Find out where your frost line is and bury to that level.

beagle
03-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Ammo cans with absorbent or if you have the room, an old refrigerator without compressor makes good storage and is easily locked to keep prying kids out. Throw a couple of moisture absorbing bags in just in case and replace several times a year./beagle

butch2570
03-18-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm finding myself with more on hand than I want to keep around the place but was unsure about the sweating and stuff if I buried it . I have used old fridges for keeping apples through the winter , just the door sticking out of the ground , I never considered putting the powder in it though. Thanks.

CastingFool
03-18-2014, 10:59 PM
You might consider using your gamesaver to vacuum pack your powder. Just a thought.

petroid
03-19-2014, 10:34 AM
I use a styrofoam cooler for my powder jugs. Not airtight but I rely on the lids screwed on snugly for that. The styrofoam just prevents drastic temperature swings which can result in condensation. I also don't want to store powder or primers in a sealed metal container for fear if there was some remote possibility of ignition, the metal container would allow pressure build up and explosion rather than just deflagration. I store primers in a plastic dry box that is sealed but being only plastic will require less pressure to rupture than steel. Also, since the primers are not in cans with tight fitting lids I like having them in a sealed container.

SciFiJim
03-19-2014, 10:25 PM
I use an old ice chest. I have a layer of lead ingots on the bottom as a heat sink to help control temp swings.

leftiye
03-21-2014, 07:00 AM
Root cellar. Seriously, I'd put in a dehumidifier, and probly some cooling in the summer. I don't think cold will hurt much. Needs to be closed to minimize moisture. Moisture is a problem in cold temps too (condenses), But a dehumidifier will most likely shut down at about 60 plus degrees. Dryness in winter is most easily had by heating cold outside air (brings down relative humidity).