PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Linotype and Pure Lead

leadmonkey
03-18-2014, 08:25 PM
I have smelted up a fairly large supply of SOWW ingots, and I have found out that this stuff is very soft, likely nearly pure lead. I can scratch the boolits with my fingernail. So I found me some Linotype, and I want to harden up the stick-on lead with it. The threads I found on this subject tend to indicate that the preferred ratio is something between 3:1 and 4:1, depending on what you are going to do with the lead.

So, which ratio would would you guys recommend for a noob trying to cast some 9mm plinking boolits.

bangerjim
03-18-2014, 08:58 PM
download the free excel calc sheet on here to answer all your mixing question.

banger

iraiam
03-19-2014, 02:34 AM
I do this regularly, I acquired a few hundred pounds of Linotype lead from a bankruptcy auction at a printing plant years ago.

I just mix it 50/50 with pure lead (by weight) and get a very good bullet alloy, it's very close to Lyman #2 alloy, I have been using this alloy for years.

catman81056
03-19-2014, 07:15 AM
I smelt my alloy in 100lb batch's, my go to alloy is 50/50 pure and COWW +2lbs of pewter. According to the calculator that should give a Bhn of 10.7. Using Linotype my mix is 86lb pure/14lb Lino + 2lb of pewter that should give a Bhn of 10.9. I powder coat so the hardness is a moot point but the boolits drop heavy. This works great in my 45 auto and 9mm.