PDA

View Full Version : found a very good case cleaner

johnson1942
03-18-2014, 06:04 PM
went on you tube and found one that talked about cleaning cases. he is a italian and most likely from italy. said put some fabric spot remover in a pan of water and soak your cases in it. boy was he 100 percent right. i had some old cases that were really cruddy and dreaded cleaning them. i put them in a old big pot with 60 ccs of fabric spot remover and water and boiled them and they came out 100 percent clean. not shinny but again 100 percent clean. this guy knew what he was talking about. now i can shoot my 45/70 and not worry about cleaning the cases. also real good to swab the bore with. you guys may know this but then you may not.

Ubet
03-18-2014, 06:16 PM
I'll have to try this on some old cruddy brass laying at the range and see how it turns out.

bigted
03-18-2014, 08:53 PM
thanks for the "spot remover" hint. did you mix it 50/50 or what was your mix proportions?

johnson1942
03-18-2014, 09:13 PM
try two whisky shot glasses of stain remover in 3 pints of water. the stain remover is expensive so you dont want to use it all at once. i did put a squirt of dish soap in their also. it will probably work with more water to the 2 shot glasses. make it a tall pot your putting it in as when you first boil it and the chemistry begins it really foams up and can boil over. the wife wont like that. as im retired now and my wife isnt i do a lot of house cleaning and this mixture works to clean the bathroom also. i suspect it is good for a lot of things beside cartridges and fabrics.

montana_charlie
03-19-2014, 06:16 PM
Would you care to mention which (named) product you tried?
CM

johnson1942
03-19-2014, 09:22 PM
resolve max, spray wash, in a red bottle. its what my wife had in the laundry room.

.22-10-45
03-20-2014, 01:38 AM
Just wondering..it doesn't contain ammonia does it? That stuff is poison on brass.

MadHamster
03-20-2014, 07:24 AM
Is it by any chance this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANeHbCjGIwM

oldred
03-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Just wondering..it doesn't contain ammonia does it? That stuff is poison on brass.

Apparently it's claim to fame is the result of Hydrogen Peroxide and Alcohol, no Ammonia is listed in the MSDS.

johnson1942
03-20-2014, 12:27 PM
yes its the viteo. i didnt use his product but the one i listed really cleaned up some old brass. not bright but really clean. it also didnt seen to hurt them at all.

boommer
03-20-2014, 01:12 PM
I can clean my cases faster than that and better with just dawn warm water, tube brushes from Buff arms and he didn't even knock out his primers first!

martinibelgian
03-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Yes, but you have to handle and clean each and every case - he can just go and have a beer while the chemistry is doing its thing...

johnson1942
03-22-2014, 12:07 PM
i agree, i really got turned off brushing each case so i mostly shot muzzleloader but now i let the chemistry do the work and im back shooting my 45/70/s. im not lazy i just have alot of other things to do.

bigted
03-22-2014, 04:25 PM
it seems easy to get distracted with all the OTHER things that pull for our attention. the things in life are designed to keep us entertained or busy for every minute of our waking life.

HOWEVER ... this "blackpowder cartridge" shooting and loading is an avenue to the old "simpler" days and the ways that the experienced shooters did things back when. these "ways" are well documented with just the small things that require thought and consideration.

this fun and exciting loading/shooting experience is based on a way of life that required a feller to be involved with each process in the loading/shooting/cleaning of ALL the components of the trade. this for me is the very thing that holds my interest in the "old ways" and methods of yesteryear. I forget life and all its trappings for the brief time expended in the pursuit of this great sport.

the washing of the cases is just one of the things that is part of the experience in this process that engages my mind and keeps me involved with something else other then the hum drum ways of regular life. the soap n water is just the thing that works and works very well with just a little bit of hands on work ... kinda like the cleaning of the rifle ... the casting of boolits ... the either making or purchasing as well as installing the lube on these home made boolits ... the very way that is required to HOLD the rifle for that shot ... the conditioning and fouling control in the barrel.

sooo ... the extra search for an "EASIER SOFTER WAY" of doing any part of this ... in my opinion ... is just shortcutting the process that has a path already laid out for me. I thoroughly enjoy the "process" in each of these disciplines required for any success in this very cool pursuit.

altho the things found for this "shortcut" is very interesting as well as useful to some ... myself ... I will remain in the "tradition" as much as I can. thanks for the hints and it is interesting to say the least but for me ... I will stay with the water/brush method of cleaning my brass cases and when I want/desire a shiny brass color ... I will vibrate em for the shine.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-22-2014, 04:48 PM
I just went to the store looking for stain remover. Not one of them listed ingredients. I went on their webpage trying to find what was in each with no luck. Many people on each site asking for ingredients but if they were there I couldn't find them.

johnson1942
03-22-2014, 07:37 PM
a lot of enzymes like the body produces for digestion.

oldred
03-23-2014, 10:52 AM
I just went to the store looking for stain remover. Not one of them listed ingredients. I went on their webpage trying to find what was in each with no luck. Many people on each site asking for ingredients but if they were there I couldn't find them.

It's easy, just google the name of the product along with "MSDS" (without the quotation marks) and it will link to the product Material safety data sheet which will list the ingredients along with any pertinent safety information. This MSDS is required by federal law for any consumer product and is available on-line or by mail upon request.

AMT7
03-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Apparently it's claim to fame is the result of Hydrogen Peroxide and Alcohol, no Ammonia is listed in the MSDS.

Here is some info that was shared relevant to cleaning with very hot tap water and using hydrogen peroxide . Not wanting to create a firestorm. We do some things to (flash off) and intentially avoid the chlorine, floride derivites & ammonia and keep heat controlled below damaging limits. See the charts. Once this process is started environmental, normal use in firearms, chemistry, physics take over to continue the process that will cause the zink removal and hence hardening accelerating failure of brass.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqsxhmds696o133/8-JMES-03-2010-Ghayad.pdf

Below sent by a fella wldewhere:

There is a guy on the Brian Enos forum that goes by MarkCo, he's a forensic research scientist and handles 12 to 18 brass dezincification cases every year. Do a search on that site and you can find some of what he's written on it.

Pieter C. Voss
03-27-2014, 02:20 PM
I'm new at muzzleloading and have using a bore cleaner that was passed on to me by a buddy--equal parts hydrogen peroxide, 90% alcohol, and Murphy's oil soap. Works good, and ought to be a good case cleaner too, although it didn't occur to me to use it for that until now.

AMT7
03-27-2014, 04:47 PM
I do not advise that. Just reverse osmosis, or distilled water and some alcohol and touch of non acidic soap and heat to about 160F no more.

Dan Cash
03-27-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm new at muzzleloading and have using a bore cleaner that was passed on to me by a buddy--equal parts hydrogen peroxide, 90% alcohol, and Murphy's oil soap. Works good, and ought to be a good case cleaner too, although it didn't occur to me to use it for that until now.

A lot less risky for your brass than for your bore. That peeroxide mix people tout will surely remove fouling but it is a real ruster.

johnson1942
03-27-2014, 07:42 PM
i think hydrogen peroixide was used to make muzzle loader barrels look very old in the finish if im not mistaken so i would be carefull in the bore or on brass.

mzlldr
04-01-2014, 02:43 AM
Hi . I saw that bloke on youtube about a month ago and I was really impressed ------------ that is , until I saw the ingredients contained in the product ( it's called Vanish , here in Australia ) . Hydrogen Peroxide is , going by the comments that I have seen with respect to cleaning Muzzleloaders , a heck of a long way from a good thing to use on a rifle bore . You should not leave it in contact with your barrel because it attacks the metal . I first saw adverse comments on this product in a Muzzloading magazine some 7 or 8 years ago , when it was promoted as the answer to all BP cleaning problems by a shooter who hadn't researched this matter thoroughly , if at all .
I dont know what damage it will do to brass cases --- it may be completely harmless , but I will stick to my usual brass cleaning method .

I decap my cases at the Range in between Comps , throw them into a plastic container which has a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and ( cold ) tap water . I agitate the container periodically throughout the day , and when I get home I rinse the cases thoroughly in cold water . I then place the cases into a plastic dish containing a 2 litre mix of the vinegar and water , and then scrub the cases with a wire brush whilst holding them under the surface of the liquid in the dish . A final cold water rinse , then place them upside down on a drying rack to air dry . When dried , I throw them into a tumbler with crushed Walnut Shells . Result --- clean and shiny cases . I shoot 45/70 , 38/55 and 44/40 . I appreciate that my method sounds like a bit of work , but I have had 7 years plus from a lot of my cases , and I do inspect them at each cleaning .
P.S. I only shoot black powder .

Good luck

RonT
04-01-2014, 09:44 AM
"Hydrogen Peroxide is , going by the comments that I have seen with respect to cleaning Muzzleloaders , a heck of a long way from a good thing to use on a rifle bore ."
Agree. Hydrogen Peroxide is Hygroscopic....attracts and holds water. Not something that I want to do with my cleanup routine for any of my Black Powder burning barrels. YMMV.
Cheers,
R