PDA

View Full Version : Manual?

SirMike1983
03-18-2014, 10:55 AM
My birthday is coming up and I am going to add another reloading manual to my list, but need some help deciding which one. I'm particularly looking for a manual with a lot of plinking and paper punching loads. I'm interested in .38 special, .30-30,.30-06, .45 auto and .45 Colt: basically traditional, American calibers. Cast bullet or jacketed loads are both fine, just looking for a manual with a lot of lighter loads for range and plinking. I have the most recent Lyman manual (not the cast bullet one but the standard manual). Any suggestions?

Guesser
03-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Any one that you don't already have will be of benefit. They change with every new edition. You can't have too many.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-18-2014, 12:07 PM
If you are gonna start casting, get the Lyman Cast bullet handbook 4th ed.
it's the best with the most cast loading data.

Bohica793
03-18-2014, 12:16 PM
If you are gonna start casting, get the Lyman Cast bullet handbook 4th ed.
it's the best with the most cast loading data.

+1 even if you are not going to cast.

Krumfola
03-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Any one that you don't already have will be of benefit. They change with every new edition. You can't have too many.

Agreed. I have several from different manufacturers. I like to be able to cross reference load data.

r1kk1
03-18-2014, 04:18 PM
Since I shoot mainly cast in handguns I use Lyman and an old copy of RCBS. I have all the others but I don't really shoot jacketed stuff in handguns unless they are .22 caliber or smaller hot rods.

Take care

r1kk1

dudel
03-18-2014, 04:43 PM
loadbooks. Consolidates load data from many sources. Caliber specifics books are available.

gwpercle
03-18-2014, 05:34 PM
Plinking and lighter/target loads.....Lyman Cast Bullet Manual. Get the new 4th edition and if you can find one the older 3rd edition, has a lot of great info. The 3rd and 4th Lyman cast bullet manuals along with Hornady and Speer manuals are my #1, go-to's. When I find them reasonably priced I will buy older manuals because they have data not in the brand new one's.
Once you start doing this, the boolit moulds will follow...cast bollit shooting is inevitable, don't try to resist the force !

Gary

bangerjim
03-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Definitely the Lyman CB Book! The other one has a bunch of jacket stuff in it........ if you are into that. I have that one also and never open it!

Also the Lee Modern book has a lot of cast loads.

Those are the 2 I refer to all the time.
banger

mikeym1a
03-18-2014, 06:05 PM
The Lyman Reloading Manual #49 is another good candidate. It has both cast and jacketed loads. Lots of good info. For the cast boolit handbook, I like #3, which a bit dated, now. Something about the way it's printed, easier for me to read. Happy Birthday!