PDA

View Full Version : Another Unappreciated Pacific "C"

Bent Ramrod
03-17-2014, 05:38 PM
I dunno; it wasn't a pre-patent number and didn't even have a handle, but somehow it called out to me anyway.

Overnight soaking of the innards and loose pieces in Evapo-Rust, spraying the frame with WD-40 and wiping with a cloth got me this:

The only casualty was the little spring that pushes the priming arm back. It had rusted through.

By the way, the handle hole on this one is 1/2" x 20 TPI, not a press fit as some others seem to have been. Perhaps it's a "rare variation.":mrgreen:

Pressman
03-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Rare? No. Pacific sold 10000 of them by the outbreak oh WWII. The treaded handle was an early change. Yours is pre war. When production resumed after the war the primer feed lugs were included.

Still it's heartwarming to see you bring it back to life.
Ken

Char-Gar
03-17-2014, 06:30 PM
That is a pre-war Pacific C and I have several of them. They all have pressed in handles. After WWII they went to 1/2 - 20 (National Fine) screw in handles. I suspect somebody has changed out the block on your or else tapped it. If they made screw in handles before the war, I am not aware of it.

I have made handles for that press both press fit and screw in. If you won't want to make one that is a pretty standard thread for press handles. My Redding turret press handle fits the Pacific press like a glove.

The old Pacific presses are everlasting. All of mine are in regular use. Here are some pics. Pre-war C on the ends and a Post-war Super C in the middle. I have less than $100 in all three.

Pressman
03-17-2014, 07:19 PM
I have a couple of early presses with threaded handles. Early as with the smooth Japan type finish. Black wrinkle paint came along later.
Ken

2AMMD
03-17-2014, 07:26 PM
The old equipment was built right.....and to last. Nice Press. It should serve you well. I recently got an old Bair press from a member here and it looks identical to yours. It's strong and should do anything you need.

2AMMD

Bent Ramrod
03-17-2014, 09:48 PM
This is my second Pacific C, but my first reloading press was a robin's-egg-blue Pacific Super. I've seen a lot of the prewar "Cs" for sale at gun shows and I don't recall any going for more than $25. Most go begging at any price, but once one gets low enough, I just buy it on general principle. Pacific got the "look" of the thing just right, and the little knurled pins to take it apart are a nice touch too. I scarf up all the shell holder rams I can find for cheap, and am kicking myself for turning up my nose at one of the primer feeders because the asking price was about what I have in both my presses and all the shell holder rams. While it isn't really necessary, it would be neat to have.

They are certainly up for any normal reloading chore. I think I know where there is a lever for a Lyman press; if it doesn't fit, it should be close enough to rethread.

I recall one of the covers of Handloader magazine had a picture of the complete Pacific outfit of the mid '30's: press with primer magazine, dies, powder scale, measure, Ideal Handbook and loading block with a can of Pistol #5 or some such. Very nostalgic.