PDA

View Full Version : woo-hooooo new '92!

Bagdadjoe
03-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Not just new, but of the scores of guns I've owned over the past 56+ years....my first brand new store-bought gun. That's right, never owned a new one. I just turned 66 and this is my early pre-retirement gift to myself. Well, you may axt, "whatever could it be"?
A 24" octagon 44 mag Rossi '92, attired in tasteful blue. I was going to order the same in 357, but apparently after searching for half an hour with no luck...there must not be one in the whole US of A at a distributor. This one was on the shelf, $499 and tax out the door.
I'll be giving her a bath and spa treatment tonight and a trip to the range probably this weekend. I'll post the good targets and hide the others under the shredder... ;-)

Ubet
03-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Enjoy your new rifle. May it be everything you want it to be. May it shoot straight and true and have no recoil.

w5pv
03-17-2014, 06:16 PM
I just bought Rossi 92 45 cal,so far love it.

searcher4851
03-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Congrats on the find. The 357's are kinda scarce most of the time. Seems like a lot of folks like to badmouth Rossi 92's, but it sure seems to be hard for anyone to keep them in stock. I own a few and am very happy with them. Enjoy your new 92.

Throckmorton
03-17-2014, 11:44 PM
Congrats on the new 'family member' . ! If it's anything like the one I had in 45Colt,you'll shoot lots of bulls' eyes.

retiredPO
03-18-2014, 07:22 AM
I have 2 Rossi 92"s The 44 mag in Oct. Bar. and the 45LC in Round barrel. Have to pinch myself everyday..... shoot like a dream, easy to maintain, love loading and casting for them.... Life is good..

Bagdadjoe
03-18-2014, 08:38 AM
Went to see "Son of God" last night with my wife so was late getting home. Ran a wet Kroil swab down the bore and it came out with only the slightest hint of smudge. I've heard stories of crud and metal filings...not so, and the bore is as mirrored as a well kept shotgun. Wood fitment is great, everything looks mahvelous. I dug through my archieves last night and found some fodder fot it. C'mon range day!!

searcher4851
03-18-2014, 01:44 PM
The barrels aren't usually too bad gunk-wise, but make sure you get the action cleaned out really good. I don't know what they use on it, but that gunk is stubborn.

35 shooter
03-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Congratulations on your first new store bought rifle. I saw one just like it on the shelf at a gun store the other day for about the same price. I picked it up to test the "feel" of it and almost bought it. Sure was slick handling. Hope it's all you want it to be!

Sawbuck_Slim
03-20-2014, 07:39 PM
I would put my Rossi 92-20 inch barrel SS against any Marlin or Winchester, one of my better purchases!!

blackpowder man
03-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Congrats, I've owned my 24" octagon barreled .44 mag Rossi 92 for a couple years now and I like it. She's not going anywhere. There is a store near me that stocks lots of cowboy and casting stuff that had 2 .357 rossi's with octagon barrels for $499 last time I was in there.

rush1886
03-22-2014, 08:25 AM
Rossi's have been very good to me! With a 20" 357, and a 24" 44, both octagon, and both tasteless (?) SS, I figger I'm good for any SHTF scenario you wanna play.

I picked both up around 3-4 yrs ago, and the worst of both was the factory gunk in and around the receivers. Both shoot well and ain't up for trade. On second thought, the worst of both was the factory rear sights. The 357 now wears a Marbles Tang sight, and I put a Steve's Gunz bolt mounted aperture on the 44.

I know cash can be scarce at times, but for myself, Steve's Gunz cd on the 92's is worth every penny, just from the disassembly/reassembly standpoint. His action tips really work, too! No vested interest here, just sayin'.

Congrats and Good Shootin' with your 44! You're gonna Love it!!

Bagdadjoe
03-22-2014, 07:44 PM
100241Here's the first 9 shots from the .44 top left is first, then lowered the rear sight all the way down and fired 3 more. Then went to the right target, with 44 Specials. The big dent in the right side is where the lady next to me was bouncing them off the ground. :) My front sight needs to be taller and moved left. This is only 25 yds. but fired with some old thrown together ammo with commercial cast 240's I got somewhere. I'm pleased as punch. With proper bullets and sights, I should be able to tweak 'er nicely. I have a 429421 mold and an LBT WFN 265gr to drop some with. First thing is the sights. I now know why everyone was griping about the buckhorns. I have pretty good sight left at 66, thank God, but still it was fuzzy-wuzzy. A good peeper and should be throwing those groups a lot further out.

pdawg_shooter
03-22-2014, 10:05 PM
I have a 24" octagon wit a color case hardened receiver. Works and shoots great.