PDA

View Full Version : Turret loading rifles

kopperl
03-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Does anyone remember the Rockymountian turret loading rifles from the '70's?I have a 22 cal and wonder if there are any others still in use.
Thanks,
Bill

Dframe
03-17-2014, 03:11 PM
I had one (appropriated by my wife) that was a lot of fun to shoot. She sold it a while back. I'd like to replace it.

Bent Ramrod
03-17-2014, 06:21 PM
I have one, and have shot it some. Haven't gotten the accuracy I want yet. The main problems for me are the ammunition preparation. Round .22 caliber balls are too small to stay in the turret, and the #4 buckshot, the next easiest size to find, is too big. I size #4 buckshot to 0.228" so I can push it into the turret by hand. Also, the toy caps they sell nowadays are unworthy of the name. It takes two of them to fire the gun, and a couple misfires with two to get the shooting started.

kopperl
03-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Caps are a problem. People on this list are talking about German caps but they haven't mentioned any names.
My 22 loads the #4 buck with a thumb push.

Bent Ramrod
03-17-2014, 10:47 PM
The only caps I've been able to get hold of are "Legends of the Wild West" and "American West." The latter are made in Canada; don't know where the "Legends" were made. Both are about the same power level, i.e., pathetic. I feel sorry for the kids today. Oh for a box of 1000 "Kilgore" caps at the old time price.

My turret has a conical chamber but it isn't anywhere near large enough to thumb a ball that size in deep enough to allow the turret to turn to battery. But I have enough sized balls to keep the thing going. Need to make some time to shoot the thing again, it is fun to play around with.

carbine
03-18-2014, 08:07 AM
I have one, when I went looking for it I could not find the anvil that sets off the cap. Will try again. One member was interested in it

Bent Ramrod
03-18-2014, 03:54 PM
That little cover, and its ability to vanish, is a major design weakness, all right. They should have chained it to the gun like that old British carbine.

Texantothecore
03-18-2014, 08:10 PM
The near mythical German caps are "Legends of the Wild West" caps and Walmart carries them. Cheap and good.

Texantothecore
03-18-2014, 11:45 PM
If any of you have pictures of your turret rifles can you post them here? The only one I've found a picture of is the Porter. It is an intriguing concept.

Bent Ramrod
03-19-2014, 03:46 PM
Mine is on this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?16259-BP-turret-rifle-in-the-60-s&highlight=turret+rifle

Texantothecore
03-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the link. That is good looking piece of shootin' iron.