PDA

View Full Version : Why are PCP air rifles so expensive?

Fly
03-17-2014, 12:59 PM
I dont understand why PCP air rifles cost so much?I can't see where they
would cost more to build then any semi auto?maybe someone here knows.

Fly

dtknowles
03-17-2014, 01:41 PM
I think it is because of the small market, low production volume.

Tim

felix
03-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Quality high precision parts like for BR guns in general. Want a cheap off-the-shelf BR gun? You need one of these. My current favorite: Daystate. ... felix

HARRYMPOPE
03-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Because people will pay for them.airguns are way too I expensive for what you get.

rsterne
03-17-2014, 05:19 PM
PCP airguns are more expensive than Powderburners because they are more complex.... Can they dispatch an Elephant, no, but the good ones can stack pellets on top of each other all day long, and cost is comparable to a PB that can do the same.... The biggest differences are that because of the more efficient bullets and greater power a PB uses, they can in general do it at much greater range.... If you want to see what (some) airguns can do, do a Google search for a 10M Olympic target, print off a few, and try hitting that 1mm dot standing at 10 Metres.... Modern PCPs are beginning to use cast bullets, and there is a video of a .257 cal PCP tagging a pop can at 615 yards.... In Europe, the current hot setup for 100M shooting outdoors is a .224 cal that duplicates the ballistics of a .22 LR target round.... and I have seen groups as small as 11mm (7/16") at 100M (110 yards)....

Bob

HARRYMPOPE
03-18-2014, 01:21 AM
I don think a Daystate or Edgun is more complex than say a Rock River AR or have the work into it like a custom CPA 14-1/2 32-40 .They are simple air holders with valves(PCP) or tubes with springs IMHO. Now I do have a few big dollar German and English guns I love but it makes me mad what I (actually the original owners<G>) had to pay for them.
I don't think an airgun can be beat for up to 50 yard shooting for economy these days.I have shot/shoot the 10 meter target and it sucks!
That 7/16 is pretty good for an airgun but about 3 times bigger than my best with my Remington 37 and an old lot of Eley.Airguns are getting close!

Dryball
03-18-2014, 07:12 AM
I think expense is relative and in the eyes of the beholder. I will be taking possession of a custom Condor SS from Tony at Talon Tunes, on Thur. I can't wait and I am very happy with the price, especially after considering all of the custom work that went into it. It's just like everything else though. They are worth/cost whatever someone is willing to pay

GRid.1569
03-18-2014, 09:19 AM
Are they that expensive?...

I just bought a Daystate Huntsman Regal (£783) - last air rifle I bought before it was a FWB Sport 127 (second hand) and it cost £80... yes one tenth of the price... 37 years ago... So factor in inflation and I'll ask again, are they that expensive really?

And the Daystate is superb BTW....

HollowPoint
03-18-2014, 10:18 AM
When I was in college, our instructor touched on a similar subject. Not have specifically do to with air guns but, with products in general and the way that manufactures arrived at their pricing. It turns out that most products are priced according to their Perceived Value. Few products are worth the money they're being sold for.

As an example, I'll throw out the acronym, "MSRP." "Manufactures Suggested Retail Price." This is the price that the manufacture would love to sell their product at. Then there's the price that the retailer actually sells their product at. Then there's the price that their product is actually worth when you factor in production costs and such.

The answer to the OP's question has already been answered but, It bares repeating. They cost what they cost because people pay what they cost; regardless of whether it's worth that much or not.

HollowPoint

Fly
03-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Well think about this.Over $600 for a good air bottle,another $150 for a scope & over $600 for a midlevel rifle.

$1300 is a lot of money for most.We know the top of the line are over $2000 for a rifle.Think of the quality of
smokless powder or Black powder fire arm you could buy for that amount of money.I have thought long
& hard about buying a PCP rifle, but I have all but ruled it out.

I have 4 springers, but looks like what I must settle with.There is know way I can justify that much money.
I,m just Joe the lunch bucket guy I guess.

Fly

melloairman
03-18-2014, 11:02 AM
Well think about this.Over $600 for a good air bottle,another $150 for a scope & over $600 for a midlevel rifle.

$1300 is a lot of money for most.We know the top of the line are over $2000 for a rifle.Think of the quality of
smokless powder or Black powder fire arm you could buy for that amount of money.I have thought long
& hard about buying a PCP rifle, but I have all but ruled it out.

I have 4 springers, but looks like what I must settle with.There is know way I can justify that much money.
I,m just Joe the lunch bucket guy I guess.

Fly
It depends as well as to how much you shoot . At this point I shoot about 600 shots a week and hope to increase that soon . I use free reclaimed lead , no powder , no primers , no brass , no gas to search for these items , nor freight cost to receive them . Basically I am shooting for free now that I have the equipment . Marvin