PDA

View Full Version : slow cooker corned beef this year

Artful
03-17-2014, 12:21 AM
Normally I put the brisket on the stove top but this year I went with a slow cooker.

Took the spice packet and crushed the whole spices and put in a cup of boiling water
then took the brisket and put in a ziplock bag and put in beer and ginger beer
water with spices - kept in the cooler for 1 day

Put two cans beef broth in slow cooker added brisket and liquid from previous day
added additional spice, salt, whole cloves of garlic, yukon potatoes, carrots, celery, yellow onion
let cook on high for 6 hours - then added wedges of cabbage for last hour

Took a cup or two of cooking liquid put in pan and reduced by half
added to sour cream and horseradish to make table sauce.

All in all a nice family meal for St Paddy's day.

MaryB
03-17-2014, 01:54 AM
Sounds tasty. I like to toss it on the smoker and turn it into pastrami, smoke the cabbage wrapped in foil with just an inch hole on top next to it after coring it and stuffing with chopped bacon.

DougGuy
03-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Dang MaryB that cabbage recipe sounds good! And so does Artful's slow cooker recipe!

Today I made a facebook post that says: "You want to know how crappy it is outside? Corned beef and cabbage crappy! Pretty crappy huh?" Then posted this pic with it:

For the cabbage I added half a yellow onion, 4 cloves of garlic, salt, pepper, and a shake of Sylvia's Chicken Rub.

For the corned beef I used a corned eye of round, and added the spice packet, a fat tablespoon of pickling spice, 2 bay leaves and some liquid Zatarain's crab boil which is just spicy pickling spice.

yoter
03-17-2014, 05:55 PM
I use a crock pot with red potatoes in the bottom, corned beef on top.

DougGuy
03-17-2014, 07:53 PM
Hmmm was out of that really good Beaver Brand cream horseradish sauce! Mixed up 1/4c mayo, 1/4c unsweetened yogurt, 1/4c ground horseradish, 1tsp yellow mustard, and a cpl good squirts of Srirachi hot sauce.. Weren't bat at all!!

Shiloh
03-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Next year I am corning my own corned beef.

Shiloh

yoter
03-21-2014, 12:57 AM
Slow smoked is good, too.

silverado
03-21-2014, 10:30 PM
This week my wife from the phillipines made some amazing corned beef and cabbage using a slow cooker (crock pot) red potatoes, cabbage, onions, and carrots........ it was soooooo good

Artful
03-21-2014, 11:42 PM
This week my wife from the phillipines made some amazing corned beef and cabbage using a slow cooker (crock pot) red potatoes, cabbage, onions, and carrots........ it was soooooo good

So you going to share what she did with us?

silverado
03-22-2014, 08:48 AM
Basically followed the direction from some recipe she found.... I just wanted to share since she ruins almost everything that doesn't involve rice :D

Ithaca Gunner
03-22-2014, 09:00 AM
One of the best mistakes I ever made was getting a convection oven, (wife sent me for a microwave, what do I know, they're the same size and shape). If nothing else, it makes the best corned beef I ever had! Crisps the fat and locks in juices, (though I may try that smoker idea, sounds good).

JimA
03-22-2014, 10:21 AM
I also used a Crock Pot for my corned beef & cabbage on St. Patricks day. I have always stove topped it, or if in a hurry put it in the pressure cooker. It came out great. Brisket, spices, potatoes and carrots went in in the beginning. Poured a bottle of stout over all and added the cabbage with an hour to go.