03-16-2014, 11:13 PM
Does anybody know for sure how the front sight base for
a US Krag rifle is attached to the barrel? Soft solder or
silver solder or ??

Thanks.

Bill

scb
03-17-2014, 06:34 PM
I've seen one that came/broke off. It looked to me like a silver solder joint.

From Brophy's book The Krag Rifle.

Frank46
03-19-2014, 12:55 AM
I know that the 1901or2 sight is fastened to the barrel by two screws. I need another krag sight and got these little screws. And they apparently use an obscure thread on those screws..... My krag had been chopped bbl length is 25" and the stock cut down to carbine length. 180 bucks out the door.Frank

Reg
03-19-2014, 03:42 AM
Have only removed 1 in the past but it must have been a silver solder. Took a bit more heat than regular soft solder then gave it a small wack with a piece of hardwood. As I recall it had a tiny ( 1/16") locator in the middle. The heating and wacking didn't seem to warp too much out of shape because with a good clean up and careful setting and silver soldering job it went right on a new profiled barrel and you couldn't hardly tell it.

gnoahhh
03-19-2014, 10:46 AM
Silver solder seems to be the consensus. I did 'soft' solder one on once and 15 years later it's still sitting where it's supposed to. Perhaps the Arsenal used a stronger solder because of the bayonet being banged against it when in service. Since I don't plan on fixing bayonets and charging up any hills under Spanish artillery fire, I figured soft solder was ok.

MtGun44
03-22-2014, 11:25 PM
A guy is offering the trimmed front of a barrel, and I need the base or to make
one. I just wondered how hard it would be to salvage. Sounds like worth
trying.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Well heck! The price is up to $19 shipped and I'll make the darned thing for
that. Probably soft solder it on, too. Not much bayonet charging in my future
plans for that carbine, either.

Bill