PDA

View Full Version : Did Lyman ever make a 310 ...

Wayne Smith
03-16-2014, 09:36 PM
narrow stop ring for the dies? I have the .32 S&W set (Thanks, Brass!) but to use them on the TruLine Jr I have to take off the stop ring to crimp and to expand.

Alternatively, is there a nut with the same threads that I could grind thinner?? I don't even know what that thread size is.

Outpost75
03-16-2014, 09:49 PM
I had Erik at www.hollowpointmold.com cut a relief behind the threaded portion of the die, so that the nut could be backed completely off the threads and the die body shortened so that it could be turned farther in on the threads.

texassako
03-16-2014, 09:58 PM
All of mine are the same thickness. I think some of the dies are not necessarily interchangeable between the tool and the press. I could see where an early .32 S&W die could be real short for the tool, but need to be lengthened for use in the press. 5/8-30 is the thread.

Wayne Smith
03-17-2014, 07:53 AM
So, find a nut, alter the die, or find a 310 adapter for my handles I guess are my options. Somehow I doubt my local hardware store has a 5/5-30 nut lying around.

Char-Gar
03-17-2014, 09:53 AM
If I were in your spot, I would thread the top of the die to accept a common thread nut and use that to hold the lock nut allowing the die to go deeper into the Tru-Line Jr turret. With the factory nut it could still be used with the 310 handles.

310 expanding and seating die bodies are pretty soft and easy to work. The die bodies are 5/8 inch and could be threaded 5/8 National Fine pretty easy. You might need to turn a little metal off, but I am betting it could be done with a good threading die.

Wayne Smith
03-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Char-Gar, I think I will look for a 5/8-30 nut first. I have a local place that just might have something like that. I do woodwork, not much metal work. As of last Sat. I have 210bd ft of 6/4 white oak drying on my back porch. All is 11ft long. Gonna have some fun in a year and a half!

Catshooter
03-18-2014, 10:49 PM
Five-eighths National Fine is still pretty coarse. Some 310 die bodies are thin enough that you'd ruin them, I think. Haven't tried it, just my opinion.

Wayne,

If you'd like, PM me. If you send me the lock nut you need thinned I'll thin it. I have both a lathe and a mill. I also have a 310 tap I made to clean the threads up. If I recall correctly they really are a bit small to call them 5/8s.

Cat

Wayne Smith
03-19-2014, 07:51 AM
Thanks, Cat. Before I do that I want to contact the 310Shop and see what suggestions he has. Just haven't had the time to do so yet.

Green Frog
03-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Wayne, the actual thread is listed by Lyman as .609 X 30 tpi which is just a few thousandths under 39/64. It was started in use in the late 1800s and they just never could bring themselves to change it. I have gone so far as to use the die without a lock nut at all... just run it down all the way until it bottomed out. I've also done the same with the expander plug as needed. Sometimes you just have to take unusual steps to make the combination you are able to cobble together actually do what you need. Aint life grand! :D

Froggie

Catshooter
03-20-2014, 12:10 AM
No sweat Wayne. The offer is open.

You can tell when you start looking into thread sizes with Ideal/Lyman that they were in business way before thread standardization hit the USA. :)

Cat

Wayne Smith
03-20-2014, 07:57 AM
OOOH, Yeah! Definitely nonstandard threads. On old guns, too.

Wayne Smith
03-22-2014, 08:06 AM
Oh, Duhh! Got an e-mail from Rick at the 310shop. He suggested using my J to X adapter, gives .250" more adjustment! I'm having him make me a round ball seating stem and an adapter just for grins and giggles.

Sometimes the solution is right in front of us and we don't see it.

Pavogrande
03-24-2014, 12:44 AM
Just about all of lyman "5/8" dies use non standard threads -
10-32 for some decap rods is about the only standard -
.395x30 many expander plugs and some decap die upper threads -
250x36 many seat screws -
495x30 some expander plugs
6x48 for the decap pin nuts -- a bugger to make - the rod not the nut!!
easier to replace rod with 10/32 and use another brand nut and pin --
The handle adapters are another challenge - real short thread, you gotta be quick!