PDA

View Full Version : Tadpole Gasket on the Smoker

Shiloh
03-16-2014, 08:00 PM

The first pic shows the gasket all the way around. There is a total of almost 1 1/2" of unsealed space at the back where the clamshell top pivots. I sealed it a bit closer but the lid hung up when closing. Had to trim it back.

The second photo shows the brackets that I made to hold the seal in place. There is a 1" tail from the bulb part of the top, being held by the bracket. The bracket is 1" wide 12 ga. steel strip. I did boneless country ribs today today break it in.

At first, the gasket had to be pushed in after I closed the lid. This on one side only. We'll see how this all works out.
Next project is to seal the smokestack better. Then, I need to find a sheet metal guy to cut me some baffles for the inside of the main chamber. This will more evenly distribute the heat.

Shiloh

DougGuy
03-16-2014, 08:46 PM
Looks like it should work!

MaryB
03-16-2014, 11:07 PM
Use some aluminum flashing rolled to fit in the exhaust and bring it down to grate level. At the firebox make an L shaped piece of steel with the bottom of the L longer than the vertical. Vertical part should reach to the bottom of the grate and be slightly angled at about 10 degrees. Slide it up to the opening from the firebox to direct the heat and smoke down and under the grate better.