PDA

View Full Version : RCBS v. Lyman (H & I) Sizing Die

38 Super Auto
12-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Do you guys have any preferences regarding RCBS versus Lyman boolit sizing die?

I have used Lyman die in my 450 for several calibers. I know that there are differences in orientations in the holes that allow lube to flow. Also, I have noticed that sized bullets are sometimes off by a 1/2 or 1 mil relative to the as advertised die inside diameter.

Just wondering if the rest of the world is using different dies than I am :coffee:

floodgate
12-26-2007, 03:55 PM
38 Super Auto:

The consensus here is that (a) Lyman H & I dies are slightly better finished than RCBS, but the difference is not great; (b) the cyurrent RCBS lube-sizers are slightly preferred over Lyman's, but again, not all that much difference - RCBS' advantage is mainly in their great customer service; (c) some older Lyman dies seem to be a hair too large to fit easily intheir current 4500 lube-sizer, and the oldest ones have a sharp stp down to sizing diameter vs. a gradual taper as in the newer ones which can lead to off-center sizing; (d) sized diameter off by a thousandth or two from the marked diameter is quite common; and (e) the arrangement of the lube holes varies from size to size, probably a rough match to the most common boolits of the caliber - for example, a recent .313" Lyman die I have has only two rows; I got it for oversized 7.62 x 54 boolits, but they probably expected it to be used for .32 pistol ones.

In reality, "what you get is what you get".

floodgate