PDA

View Full Version : Lee REAL bullets and Alliant BlackMZ test

rsrocket1
03-16-2014, 04:59 PM
I wanted to try some muzzloading so last fall I got a used CVA Optima Pro. I saw the BlackMZ thread (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?195576-Alliant-Black-MZ-powder-Experiences) and the moderators wanted to keep the thread on track for those who actually used BlackMZ so I took the challenge. I finally got the technique for consistent velocities even with the terrible metering properties of the "kitty litter" granuals.

I got tired of paying $10 for 50 sabots so I got a 250g Lee R.E.A.L. mold and some dead soft lead. Here's the lead:

Here are the boolits:

I hand lubed them with 50/50 beeswax/vaseline. The lube has the texture of play-doh but will probably be too soft this summer when it gets over 100. It worked well this morning when it was in the low 60's headed for 80 today.

I made over powder cards with a Dremmel-sharpened 1/2" pipe and cardboard from my cereal box which I usually use to make ammo boxes.

I had to persuade the bullets into the barrel with my bullet starter. Even though the bullets are dead soft, they still needed some coaxing.

Once the bullets stared down the barrel, there was no resistance the rest of the way and if I left the fired primer in the breechplug, the ramrod got to a certain point and bounced up and down as if there was a spring in the barrel! I determined that it was trapped air and I had to remove the primer in order to seat the bullet. The good news is that this proved to me that the primer was sealing the blow back gases really well.

I only shot at 50 yards because I couldn't spend too much time at the range. I tried 50g (volume) and 55g (v) and found that 55gV was pretty accurate. The velocities were very consistent. The trick with this powder is to run both sides of a dry patch between shots in order to scrape off the white "crusties" in the breech. This allows a firm (really firm) seat of the bullet against the powder.
The squares are 7/8"

johnson1942
03-16-2014, 05:38 PM
you got your self a winner and that can feel real good.

nrc
03-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Nicely written up, nice pics. Always fun when you can put a load together with stuff around the house.