PDA

View Full Version : Tip for Sticky Lid Gasket for Wet Tumbler Drum

Bayou52
03-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Hi, All -

I've read several posts of people noticing/complaining that the gasket on their wet tumbler drum sticks hard when trying to remove the lid after a tumble. I've had this happen as well.

A fix for the sticky gasket issue is to apply a thin coat of of Armor-All, or any other brand, of plastic/rubber protectorant to the gasket before cinching down the lid.

The lid should come off pretty easily afterward. Seems to work for me, at least.

Bayou52
03-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Just curious? Is it due to pressure differences from tumbling? Perhaps an air vent placed in lid? Like a bolt and wingnut, perhaps an oring on the bolt head? Just throwing it out there.

Hi, Nise -

Not sure of the cause, really. Could be any of the things you mentioned, or simply one dry rubber surface pressed to another under considerable pressure.

Bayou52
03-17-2014, 05:16 AM
FYI -

Anoher poster says silicone spray works great for this issue, too.

jmorris
03-17-2014, 09:41 AM
There is a silicon product that comes in a tube that is made to keep o-rings from sticking. I can't read the label on mine anymore but any pool supply will have it, for use on pump/filter housings and such.

Bayou52
03-18-2014, 05:11 AM
There is a silicon product that comes in a tube that is made to keep o-rings from sticking. I can't read the label on mine anymore but any pool supply will have it, for use on pump/filter housings and such.

Thanks. If you happen to come across the name of the product, could you let us know?

Happy tumbling....

jmorris
03-18-2014, 09:32 AM
This is it. The II is the one I use.

http://www.aladdin1950.com/files/9713/7155/9899/Magic_Lube.pdf

Beesdad
03-18-2014, 10:34 AM
Great tip .... I will give it a try..

This has been an issue for me in the past.

Hi, All -

I've read several posts of people noticing/complaining that the gasket on their wet tumbler drum sticks hard when trying to remove the lid after a tumble. I've had this happen as well.

A fix for the sticky gasket issue is to apply a thin coat of of Armor-All, or any other brand, of plastic/rubber protectorant to the gasket before cinching down the lid.

The lid should come off pretty easily afterward. Seems to work for me, at least.

Bayou52
03-18-2014, 12:57 PM
This is it. The II is the one I use.

http://www.aladdin1950.com/files/9713/7155/9899/Magic_Lube.pdf

Thanks!

Walter Laich
03-18-2014, 01:29 PM
I like a bit of sticking together so the water doesn't leak but will certainly keep this in mind if it gets stuck to the point of maybe tearing the rubber