PDA

View Full Version : Spin Drying Wet Tumbled Cases

Bayou52
03-16-2014, 12:52 PM
I thought it would be a good idea to share this technique via a dedicated thread since it's so simple and effective.

I use a method of drying wet tumbled cases that does not require any heating or blower devices. All that's needed is a manual rotating media separator.

To dry the cases, I use my rotating manual media separator for a spin cycle. After putting the wet cases in the squirrel cage, I throw in a dry towel and spin vigorously for 30 seconds so. This removes 90% or so of the moisture from the cases.

I repeat a second time with another dry towel. After the second spin, 99% of all moisture is removed. Then simply let the brass lay in the open for 10 minutes, and the brasses are dry.

This spin cycle works so well because the cases are decapped, and the spinning removes moisture from both ends of the cases at the same time.

Just wanted to share my experience......

Cadillo
03-17-2014, 09:14 PM
I thought it would be a good idea to share this technique via a dedicated thread since it's so simple and effective.

I use a method of drying wet tumbled cases that does not require any heating or blower devices. All that's needed is a manual rotating media separator.

To dry the cases, I use my rotating manual media separator for a spin cycle. After putting the wet cases in the squirrel cage, I throw in a dry towel and spin vigorously for 30 seconds so. This removes 90% or so of the moisture from the cases.

I repeat a second time with another dry towel. After the second spin, 99% of all moisture is removed. Then simply let the brass lay in the open for 10 minutes, and the brasses are dry.

This spin cycle works so well because the cases are decapped, and the spinning removes moisture from both ends of the cases at the same time.

Just wanted to share my experience......

If you have central air, just put them into a mesh bag and after a few minutes atop the outside A/C unit, they are ready to go.

Jailer
03-17-2014, 09:19 PM
dehydrator for me

Walter Laich
03-18-2014, 01:34 PM
I dump them out on a towel more or less centered. Fold the top down on top of the brass then fold the bottom up. Similar to way wife folds the towels. Grab each end and slide the towel and brass within back and forth 5-10 times.
Lay out another dry towel and dump the brass on it. Spread the brass out and let it dry for the night.
Probably quicker ways but I'm happy with mine

petroid
03-19-2014, 12:09 PM
I have a small toaster oven that I use for PC'ing boolits. Towel dry the cases and put in toaster oven at 150F for 30 minutes and done..

w0fms
03-19-2014, 12:18 PM
I tried heat drying them, but they corrode very fast. What I do is use fine "lizard litter" from Petco mixed with a couple of cap fulls of NuFinish polymer car wax in the old vibratory tumbler... run it w/o cases for 5 minutes to evenly distribute.. Then, using a dry towel or microfiber, dry off the outsides and shake as much as practical out of the insides of the cases.. but if some water remains, it's no biggie.

Vibratory tumble the cases in NuFinish for 20-30 minutes and what water was left gets sucked into the Walnut shells, and a very fine coating of polymer wax coats inside and out.. It'll keep the suckers shiny for months and it lubes the cases in the dies so they are ridiculously easy to run through when loading.

As bad as it sounds doing both steps I can get brass that looks better than new unfired in 4 hours start to finish, even with the 30 min vib tumble...

I run for 45 minutes LemiShine and Dawn, flush out the water with the primer powder (lead styphanate) in it and run it again for 2 hours or so, LemiShine and Dawn again.. then drain again, rinse with clean water (distilled if hard) and then towel dry and run in the walnut shell wax tumble... Perfect.. and last months with minimal darkening of color.

pretzelxx
03-19-2014, 12:37 PM
I love bright brass. Maybe I'm being too picky but water spots bother me. I went to a range yesterday and paid a fortune for their own reloads. I was pretty upset, but to ease my pain I took about 10 lbs of brass that was on the ground. It'll be my method testing brass. Either way, I had fun but the price was ridiculous. The in laws were happy to shoot my guns! A good time was worth it

zuke
03-22-2014, 06:59 AM
If you want it dries REALLY fast (under 2 min) go to Walmart and buy some 99% alcohol at the pharmacy. Pour into container and pour alcohol over brass. Swish it around for a couple second's. Remove brass from container and shake off excess and lay out to dry. Pour alcohol back into it's bottle,re-cap and put it away. Brass should be dry.

Aunegl
03-22-2014, 02:41 PM
I think Walmart sells a salad spinner for less than 20 bucks. That may work for getting rid of the excess water in the brass.

rondog
03-22-2014, 02:56 PM
I just dump 'em on a big cotton towel spread out on a table, rub/blot the whole mess with another cotton towel, then dump them onto a big cotton movers blanket in the sun. Quick and simple.

I process a lot of brass at a time using 25# of SS pins and a small cement mixer, approx. 20-25 lbs. of brass at a time, so I go for quick and easy. I just save up my dirty brass, so I don't have to do this very often! One benefit of having large amounts of brass.

It's important to use COTTON though, it's far more absorbent than anything else. And old worn-out towels work better than new ones.