PDA

View Full Version : our search and advanced search?

bigted
03-16-2014, 12:03 PM
so what the heck is the deal with the "search" box in the upper right corner? I have repeatedly typed in a simple '38-55' in the box ... expecting the search to deliver me posts that include postings about the 38-55 cartridge. if I put '38-55 winchester' or '38-55 Ballard' or any other addition to the 38-55 ... all I get is the after word instead of the info I search for.

I have experienced this on a number of occasions ... much to my frustration. I know about the search engine that CM built and others from off site ... however ... this forum has the search box and it would be refreshing to be able to use it.

am I doing something wrong with it?

maybe one of our moderators would look into this condition and might do a "fix" for us all.

thanks.

Red River Rick
03-16-2014, 12:13 PM
Ted:

Your not doing anything wrong. After the last upgrade, the search engine turned into a ***.

I've ended up with the same outcome as you, type in one thing and get another. I gave up on it.

RRR

bigted
03-16-2014, 12:58 PM
thanks RRR. at least it isn't just me. thought maybe this stupid dial up may have messed me up on yet another matter.

Teddy (punchie)
03-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Better off googling , or search online engine. It will end up here I bet. If you type in a search about loading, casting, they end up here in the first 10 reply or less,most of time in first 5 or less.

Never have like this sites search, but that about the only thing I dislike. Just a great bunch here!!

montana_charlie
03-16-2014, 01:43 PM
I know about the search engine that CM built and others from off site ... however ... this forum has the search box and it would be refreshing to be able to use it.
I made that searcher because of the lack of utility in this one.
The only place it falls down is for searching 'The Pit' since there is no public access to that zone.

If you can force yourself to use it for a 38-55 search, it produces this page of results ...
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=001951264366462437169%3Aggn3vg-bjum&ie=UTF-8&q=38-55#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=38-55&gsc.page=1

Othewise, you're stuck with wishing that the forum feature worked better ...

CM

dilly
03-16-2014, 02:07 PM
I have had troubles with it myself. It always makes me feel sorry for people who ask common questions and get told to use the search. I sympathize because I can barely get it to work, why should a newcomer?

Nobade
03-17-2014, 08:22 PM
This is why I started signing my posts. I can search for my name in the advanced search and find things people have responded to, since as far as I can tell there is no other way to search for threads that I have contributed to since the last visit.

-Nobade

leeggen
03-17-2014, 08:29 PM
https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=001951264366462437169:ggn3vg-bjum
Sense our search doen't work so good try useing this one. It was setup by one of our members just for cast boolits. It really does work very well.
Be sure and save it in favorites so you can find it quickly.
CD

bedbugbilly
03-20-2014, 08:39 PM
I've run into the same thing when trying searches . . I thought it was just me. Even on simple things that should have lots of results it comes up that nothing was found. At least I know now it's the search and I'm not going nuts! LOL :-)

Red River Rick
03-20-2014, 08:45 PM
I sent a PM to Willy explaining the problem. Hopefully he will be able to find a solution.

RRR

JWFilips
03-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Plain Out It Sucks! Worst Search engine ever on the net! Just go to Google and search topic + castboolits.gunloads You will get it pretty much every time

bangerjim
03-20-2014, 09:52 PM
Use the "ADVANCED SEARCH".................under the white box!

Works great for me! Every time!

Forget the white box.

bangerjim

Boz330
03-21-2014, 08:46 AM
The old search before the upgrade worked great. This one is useless and even the google search isn't as good as the old one although it is eons ahead of the search function now.

Bob

bigted
03-21-2014, 10:41 AM
thanks fella's. yes I have used the search you provided Charlie ... just bitchin bout this one is all. I got a good response from Willy myself and he advises me that he is on it for some sorta repair/fix.

I do and have used the off sight search and it/they work great however ... we have one ... it should work correctly. and I have used the advanced search here to the same results ... nill!

Hickok
03-21-2014, 07:03 PM
https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=001951264366462437169:ggn3vg-bjum
Sense our search doen't work so good try useing this one. It was setup by one of our members just for cast boolits. It really does work very well.
Be sure and save it in favorites so you can find it quickly.
CDThanks for this information, this will be a help. The regular "search" has dementia!