PDA

View Full Version : 303 used to harvest world record moose

kenyerian
03-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Thought you 303 fans would enjoy reading this: http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/featured_story.asp?area=news&ID=186
Looks like you need a 303 British when you plan your next moose hunt.

kenyerian
03-16-2014, 12:05 PM

JeffinNZ
03-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Good ol three oh three.

bob208
03-16-2014, 06:03 PM
shot my first deer with a bubba no.4 I paid $19.95 for. I have a no.1 with a parker hale peep sight on that I paid $60 for. it has taken at least 3 deer I used to lend it to a friend for the season. I thik some others in his family used it too. it always came back with some packs of deer steaks.

swheeler
03-16-2014, 06:29 PM
Who says the old Brit can't GET R DONE!

KYCaster
03-16-2014, 08:19 PM
"Naef was hunting for winter meat, not a trophy. He removed the antlers off the skull with a chainsaw, nicking them in the process, and did not keep the cape for a shoulder mount."

Good for him. I like this story much better than the one about the guy who spent $60,000 + to take the world record elk.

Jerry

George Tucker
03-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Iam with Jerry on this one, George.

kenyerian
03-16-2014, 11:22 PM
This story caught my eye because my Dad purchased a 303 back in the 50's. It was the first military round that I squeezed the trigger on. One of my nephews still has it. I don't have one now but I still have the dies to reload with. I will probably get another one if I run across one in good shape. I have many fond memories of shooting ground hogs with it back in the sixties. Would love to take a moose with one.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-17-2014, 01:51 AM
"Naef was hunting for winter meat, not a trophy. He removed the antlers off the skull with a chainsaw, nicking them in the process, and did not keep the cape for a shoulder mount."

Good for him. I like this story much better than the one about the guy who spent $60,000 + to take the world record elk.

Jerry

I agree totally. What I really love is the big guy picking up the antlers. He's in good health, pretty good shape and is a big man. His knees are buckling a bit from the weight of those suckers. You know they got a lot of good meat off that beast.:drinks: And yes, I am totally jealous. Good score for the ole Brit cartridge.

I'm still of the feeling that the .303 and 30.06 are good for most game, most any where on the planet. Very few animals the two won't handle well.

JeffinNZ
03-17-2014, 05:02 AM
Just a question. Once said moose is dead and horizontal how on earth do you move it?

Junior1942
03-17-2014, 07:31 AM

Jerry+1 on that.

Mk42gunner
03-17-2014, 08:22 AM
Just a question. Once said moose is dead and horizontal how on earth do you move it?

Never having done it, I would have to say "In pieces."

Unless you managed to have your moose drop dead somewhere a tractor with a front end loader could get. It seems like every one of the moose hunting stories I read when I was a kid included field dressing in 2-3' of water.

Robert

Bjornb
03-17-2014, 08:23 AM

You sharpen your knife and start cutting. Then it's one pack frame at a time until you're done. Unless you were lucky enough to shoot the moose on the side of the road...

PAT303
03-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Kinda makes those blokes who spend $$$$$ on a magnum something that kills at a mile look a bit silly.Luv the three o'. Pat

khmer6
03-17-2014, 10:04 AM
You sharpen your knife and start cutting. Then it's one pack frame at a time until you're done. Unless you were lucky enough to shoot the moose on the side of the road...

Hhaha or hit one. Yeah it takes a few trips to pack out a moose or bull elk. Have plenty of friends or some horses/mules. I met a guy who packed out a whole giant elk back to camp. No clue how they did it. But one thing they forgot was how were they going to gut it at camp.

shredder
03-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Now that is a moose! At 35 yard with a .303 open sights. Hmmm let me see I bet is was a.....Lee Enfield!

When an animal the size of a moose is down he stays down. Nobody moves a moose in one piece unless he is in the water, then you can tow him with a small boat, been there done that. Once the shooting is over the real work can begin. For this fellah to be out moose hunting alone is pretty bold. That is a lot of work for one back and arms.

blixen
03-17-2014, 10:28 AM
I'd like to know more about the rifle--a picture .

AlaskanGuy
03-17-2014, 12:41 PM
I would like to hear more of the world record stuff???? It must be a world record moose for something other then an alaskan moose..... Where was it shot????

Far as I know, these are record book moose....

99771. 99772

So it must be a lower 48 moose or something.... Not that it isnt a total hog beautiful moose...

AG

Hardcast416taylor
03-17-2014, 12:53 PM

By using at least 2 good knives, a good whet stone, a camp ax, a small meat saw and at least several strong friends and a guard dog against wolves. Got my first #4 Mk1* from Spiegals mail order in Chicago back before JFK was shot for under $20 thru the mail. It`s still doing what it is supposed to do. VERY NICE moose, wonder what he might have weighed?Robert

waksupi
03-17-2014, 04:03 PM
I would like to hear more of the world record stuff???? It must be a world record moose for something other then an alaskan moose..... Where was it shot????

Far as I know, these are record book moose....

99771. 99772

So it must be a lower 48 moose or something.... Not that it isnt a total hog beautiful moose...

AG

Kind of what I was thinking. Kinda puny for a northern moose.

swheeler
03-17-2014, 04:19 PM
I think Naef is one big dude, that rack is over 6 ft 3 in wide according to B&C

kenyerian
03-17-2014, 06:25 PM
"MISSOULA, Mont. (Jan. 23, 2014)—A bull moose taken by a hunter in 2013 in Yukon Territory was verified today by the Boone and Crockett Club as a new World’s Record.

With a final score of 263-5/8 Boone and Crockett points, the bull has the largest antlers ever recorded for the Alaska-Yukon moose subspecies. The previous record, taken in Alaska in 1994, scores 261-5/8. These are the only two specimens on record to score over 260. The third-largest bull scores 256-6/8.

Since 1906, Boone and Crockett’s trophy data has been used to measure the success of conservation programs across North America. The Club’s scoring system rewards antler and horn size and symmetry—classic symbols of outstanding habitat, strong recruitment of animals into older age classes, sustainable harvest objectives and other elements of sound wildlife management and fair-chase hunting."

Speedo66
03-17-2014, 07:44 PM
Do meeses go to 1500 lbs. or so? Be interesting to know what the rack alone weighed.

One wandered down to a NYC suburb and caused a 9 car wreck. http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Report-Danbury-man-crashes-into-moose-231181.php

AlaskanGuy
03-17-2014, 07:56 PM
They can get to 2000 lbs... Lotta beef there...lol

richhodg66
03-17-2014, 08:19 PM
This is so cool. That guy is a good hunter.

leadman
03-18-2014, 08:40 PM
He was cutting it up the easy way, with a chain saw. Well, at least the antlers but if it was me I would have continued on with the saw.
I do use a cordless reciprocating saw on some of my elk. Others I haul out in the trailer I built with a 2 speed #1,700 hand winch on a stand on the tongue. I have hauled 2 out on my back but I can't do that now.

The guy probably didn't even think what the cape and attached antlers would be worth on that moose. Hope he got pictures at least.

Hang Fire
03-19-2014, 02:52 PM
I agree totally. What I really love is the big guy picking up the antlers. He's in good health, pretty good shape and is a big man. His knees are buckling a bit from the weight of those suckers. You know they got a lot of good meat off that beast.:drinks: And yes, I am totally jealous. Good score for the ole Brit cartridge.

I'm still of the feeling that the .303 and 30.06 are good for most game, most any where on the planet. Very few animals the two won't handle well.

Great rack, but. If that bull was taken during the rut, his drinking a few quarts of cow urine pretty well negates good meat for eating. After having lived in AK for several years, IMO, cow meat beats bull meat all hollow

Hang Fire
03-19-2014, 03:00 PM

Good point, if possible, roll carcass onto it's back, skin and bone out meat in place. I have seen green moose hides which took two men to lift. If far back in and no pack horses, boning out the meat and back packing it out can still be one Hades of a chore.

madsenshooter
03-21-2014, 06:11 PM
Do meeses go to 1500 lbs. or so? Be interesting to know what the rack alone weighed.

Meese, love it, goose-geese, moose-meese, then there's mouse-mice, grouse-grice. Right?:redneck:

303carbine
03-24-2014, 05:47 PM
My freezer meat moose was 989 lbs on the hook at the meat shop. It was shot with a
No5MK1 jungle carbine, the rack was 58.5 inches across. That world rack is totally awesome to see. It must have blocked the sun, good thing he had a 303.

BruceB
03-24-2014, 07:05 PM
It's very nice to see the .303 getting due credit.

My FIRST centerfire rifle , at age 16, was a Parker-Hale-built #4 that was given to me at Christmas by my parents.

Now, at age 71, it appears that the .303 will be among my LAST centerfire rifles as well. I'm down to just three, two new-condition #4 Rifles and a Ruger #1. I recently gave a gorgeous #1 MkIII custom rifle to a close friend who will appreciate it.

I reckon that all this amounts to a lifetime with the.303!

EVERYTHING I ever fired at in earnest with the .303 died forthwith.... moose, bears, caribou.... all of them. The .303 is pure efficiency in the game fields.

The LAST moose I killed in Northwest Territories fell with his head touching the side of the boat. I was inland from there when I fired and couldn't actually see the boat, just the moose. Pleasant surprise, not having to carry the beast any distance at all...just put the pieces in the craft as we dressed the carcass.