PDA

View Full Version : contender recievers

68 couper
12-26-2007, 01:31 AM
Hey all- Merry Christmas!

What are some of the diffrences in the contender frames? I'm already familiar with the G2 and the encore. I'm just somewhat aware there were little differences over the years. Which is best? Any parts available for these? We took one in on trade at the gun shop and the trigger guard is all faded and nasty looking.

Thanks,
Couper

scb
12-26-2007, 03:10 PM
From what I understand the most important change was the re-location of the trigger guard pivot pin. Moving it toward the center of the frame is supposed to make it easier to open.

Scrounger
12-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Easiest thing to spot is the firing pin selector.
First type: Firing pin selector is like a screw head in the face of the hammer, turned with a screwdriver.
Second type: Selector is an elongated pin running from right to left across the hammer. Push one way for rimfire, back the other way for centerfire. Sort of like the safety on a Rem 870.

Third type. Latest, best. Built into safety selector on top of hammer.
Safety is on in the center position, slide safety one way for centerfire, other way for rimfire. Easiest of all and the best.
The three positions of the G2 Contender Firing Pin Selector
Centerfire

Powderpacker
12-26-2007, 08:47 PM
One difference that hunters feel is important is being able to re-cock the hammer on the G2 without opening and closing the action . If the hammer is lowered on an original frame the action must be opened and closed before the hammer can be re-cocked .

7br
12-26-2007, 09:02 PM
G2 is also a lot easier to open. Not much of a problem for most adult males, but women with small hands or children can have problems. I think that it is easier to get a good trigger on the old frames, but that might be my old fuddy duddy instincts. Several pistolsmiths can really do a great job on both the encore and G2 frames.

bearcove
12-26-2007, 11:45 PM
I've had two old style and one G2. The G2 may be improved BUT, The older frames have a nice light crisp trigger. The G2 needs work bad. Go to bellm's web sight , you can download step by step instructions for a trigger job. On the other side if you want to shoot hot stuff like the 444 marlin family the G2 is supposed to be stronger.:Fire:

68 couper
12-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the education.

Happy new year,
Couper

68 couper
01-14-2008, 12:38 AM
I had run this thread some time ago. Is this an easy open frame? Any down side to the # 2 style contender? Probably going to pick it up seeing how clean it is... Also, how do I downsize a picture from Photobucket?

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii234/68couper/comtenderframe.jpg

Scrounger
01-14-2008, 01:02 AM
I have heard that the trigger on the G2s aren't as good as those on the older Contenders, but I don't know. Why would you want to downsize the photo? If you do, I think there is software at Photobucket to do it; if not, here is a link to some free software you can download from Microsoft to do it on your own computer:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
Scroll down to image resizer and download it.

crazy mark
01-14-2008, 01:33 AM
I had run this thread some time ago. Is this an easy open frame? Any down side to the # 2 style contender? Probably going to pick it up seeing how clean it is... Also, how do I downsize a picture from Photobucket?

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii234/68couper/comtenderframe.jpg

Not an Easy Open Frame. They have to be sent back to T/C to be done and they replace the hammer and safety assy to the latest model also. Don't know what they are charging now but if you visit their web site it has the prices. Mark

Jon K
01-14-2008, 02:26 AM
Price should be $0........Lifetime Warranty...........

To downsize pic fin photobucket:

*Select picture
*Select edit
*Select resize, then take your choice
****Make sure you keep original in your pc, once you resize in photobucket, you can't bring it back.

Jon

44 magnum
01-14-2008, 07:07 AM
OK guys....

To have a frame made to "easy open" from an original is a $55 price tag last I looked. It not covered under any warranty.

Second...the frame in the pic above IS an easy open frame as the pivot is directly above the trigger. On a non-easy open the pivot is out front of the trigger guard as in the pic of my frame below. I have both types of frames and examples of all three hammer types in my collection. And a G2 which has trigger job done but the original Contenders are much nicer in that regard.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/bangnclang/EasyopenTCframe.jpg

Paul :cool:

Lloyd Smale
01-14-2008, 07:20 AM
tc just did one of my second generation frames. they installed a new firing pin spring and converted it to easy open and charged me nothing.

44 magnum
01-14-2008, 07:35 AM
tc just did one of my second generation frames. they installed a new firing pin spring and converted it to easy open and charged me nothing.

Cool!! Perhaps they have changed their ways as I know several who paid to have the frame converted. I wont be changing mine as it works fairly easy depending on which barrel I have on it.

44 magnum
01-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Lloyd

Please clarify something for me. When you say they converted your frame to easy open, did they move the pivot pin from where it is pictured on my frame to where it is on the other frame pic? This is the conversion and involves some work. I am wondering why they did that for free. This is where the charge is applied as they have to relocate the pin and then fill in the old holes and refinish. If they did that for free for you I wonder why they charge everybody else?

I have heard of hammer and trigger updates occuring for free but never the conversion.

BTW you can see the differences in the style of trigger on the two frames in the pics as well as the 1st and 2nd generation hammer styles that were noted by Scrounger.

KYODE
01-20-2008, 03:46 PM
the EASIEST way to determine if "easy open" or not, is to take a quick look at the serial #. anything after #195,000 is easy open.

i had a frame with that old style hammer with the slide safety, but yet it was an early easy open model.

[smilie=s:

44 magnum
01-21-2008, 09:09 PM
That is true Kyle, the serial number does denote when they began making frames in the easy-open style. But it does not take into account all those frames that were converted. To know if the frame in question is an easy-open or not, the owner will need to know where the pivot pins are located on each style. Serial numbers will not help in this instance.

How ya doing my lil southern buddy!! :mrgreen: