PDA

View Full Version : Review of new Hornady beam scale.

03-16-2014, 11:11 AM
I thought you guys might be interested in this review of the new Hornady beam scale. I'm pleased to see Hornady have committed to a new beam scale and not just gone along the digital route.

In a nutshell - A budget scale representing good value, well damped, made in USA, fair accuracy and could easily be improved with a bit of tinkering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buRAm2aL6ik&feature=youtu.be

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-17-2014, 01:32 AM
The smaller poise, the one made out of thin sheet metal, is very much like the Redding #2 scale. I've owned one of the Reddings for years. It's a good scale, very accurate, but I have found myself over the years growing tired of the tendency of the lightweight sheet metal poise slipping or "bumping" out of the position I placed it in. A small irritant, but one that grows on you over time. I'm not saying what the Hornady poise would be the same, but I wouldn't buy it, based on the possibility that it might.

I still have the Redding scale, but have quit using it due to that irritation and am now using an RCBS 10-10. But Dillon's scale, less expensive than the 10-10, has a stamped sheet metal second poise that's formed in the shape of a spring clip and stays in place much better. I would buy this over most of the lower end quality scales out there.

03-17-2014, 09:40 AM
I agree that the secondary poise on all the two poise scales is not ideal and care must be taken to ensure that they remain in the correct position, however, the Hornady is around one third of the price of an RCBS 10/10 so not really a fair comparison. The micrometre type poise, as used on the RCBS 10/10 and also the obsolete 5-10 works well and is really quite foolproof although they do get sloppy from wear with heavily used examples.

The Dillon "Eliminator" scale is exactly the same (apart from the colour and shape of the body) as the RCBS 505, both made by Ohaus and the complete beam, bearings etc. are interchangeable, however, these, and the newer 10/10's are now made in Mexico (some from China) The quality of some of these new scales would make you weep.

The third poise of the RCBS 505 and the Dillon scale is also just a thin sheet tab, the same as the Hornady and Redding scales, the second poise is the spring clip affair.

03-17-2014, 11:34 AM
I use an ancient Texan, triple poise, oil dampened scale that is identical to Pacific/Hornady's previous magnetic dampened scale, which is identical to their current model. I'm glad that Hornady is back in the balance beam scale business, and if I were to buy a new scale it would be a Hornady. I find a triple poise system easier to read and adjust, and have never experienced the two smaller weights moving. I consider the scale a precision instrument and treat it as such.

Edit to add: Another feature I like is the two nuts that are used to zero the scale, rather than having to add or remove shot to the pan holder.

w5pv
03-17-2014, 11:34 AM
I was very disapointed with my redding beam scale that i paid over $80.00 for.I ended up making a hardwood base for the cheapo cast aliminium one would fit over.I zeroe mine by adding or subtracting a amall piece of tape on the pan holder.Laugh, but it doesent move off of zero with every little bump.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-17-2014, 01:58 PM
I agree that the secondary poise on all the two poise scales is not ideal and care must be taken to ensure that they remain in the correct position, however, the Hornady is around one third of the price of an RCBS 10/10 so not really a fair comparison. Sometimes, when it comes to an item that you're going to use in a lifetime of reloading, fair doesn't come into the equation. What does come in is how well it performs. I've bought and later sold enough less expensive reloading equipment to have paid for the nicer stuff twice over if I'd just bought the nicer stuff up front.

The micrometre type poise, as used on the RCBS 10/10 and also the obsolete 5-10 works well and is really quite foolproof although they do get sloppy from wear with heavily used examples. I wonder if some of that isn't from lack of cleaning/maintenance. I haven't had any sort of reloading equipment wear out on me that I bought new, but I'm pretty OCD when it comes to maintenance.

The Dillon "Eliminator" scale is exactly the same (apart from the colour and shape of the body) as the RCBS 505, both made by Ohaus and the complete beam, bearings etc. are interchangeable, however, these, and the newer 10/10's are now made in Mexico (some from China) The quality of some of these new scales would make you weep. This is something I find very unfortunate. Makes me wonder where the new Hornady is being made.

The third poise of the RCBS 505 and the Dillon scale is also just a thin sheet tab, the same as the Hornady and Redding scales, the second poise is the spring clip affair. I don't remember it having a thin sheet tab, but it's been a few years since I used my friends. At that time, I remember it being quite easy to keep setup and the design prevented any "slippage" out of the selected positions.

While I totally understand the causes of the chinese invasion of every single aspect of our tool lives, I am quite disgusted by it and very much think our lack of manufacturing capabilities will one day be the end of our wealth and the end or our society as we know it. Based on what I've seen in government the last year or two, that end may be closer than any of us want to think about.

EDG
03-17-2014, 09:18 PM
The old Hornady triple poise scale is show against the bricks in the background.
I really like that scale and much prefer it to any of the 2 poise scales.
Pacific and Bair also sold that same 3 poise scale and they work great and they minimize the chance of making setting errors.

03-18-2014, 03:23 AM
The old Hornady triple poise scale is show against the bricks in the background.
Pacific and Bair also sold that same 3 poise scale and they work great and they minimize the chance of making setting errors.

You're quite right there, the older Hornady/Pacific "M" scale was a good scale and built to last, with a cast iron base and really positive three poise system. The new scale is not in the same league. It does show it's heritage with the shaped knife edges and the balancing nuts on the pan end and also the crappy level adjusting screw but the two can't be compared.

This is the older scale tricked out a bit.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/allan1066/th_20130218_180742_zps8e761db8.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/allan1066/media/20130218_180742_zps8e761db8.jpg.html)

dudel
03-19-2014, 08:48 AM

+1 I have the older 3 poise scale for the past 25+ years. It still works great. Magnetically dampened, settles down fast, not affected by fluorescent lights, doesn't need batteries.

The third poise is a bent wire. Easy to set, keeps it setting. Much better (IMO) than the thin metal leaf that some use for the 3rd poise.

Just need to keep it at eye level to avoid reduce read errors. I keep mine in a cabinet over the bench. That also protects it from wind currents and stuff moving around on the bench.