PDA

View Full Version : HF dual tumbler

sirgknight
03-16-2014, 10:58 AM
I have been using this wet tumbler for about two months now and it works great. For those of us who are looking for a less expensive way to wet tumble I think this dual drum tumbler is quite adequate. At first I loaded the drums according to what others had experienced and found that sometimes the little drums would slip on the rollers, but I was unhappy with the small amount of brass that I could clean. Even then the drums were only half full, including brass, soap, pins and water, but they seemed to be somewhat too heavy for the rollers. After doing some experimenting I found that by raising the front two legs of the tumbler (I am simply using three pieces of cardboard under the front feet) it tilts the tumbler towards the back causing the drums to get more traction on the roller. By doing this I am now able to fill my drums about 3/4 full which allows me to clean more brass and the tumbler works just great.

mac60
03-16-2014, 11:10 AM
I've been using one for a few years. Never changed a belt, still using the one that came with it. I've found 100 pcs. (50 in each drum) of .308, 30-30 etc. to be about all it can take. Cover with hot water, add a dash of dawn a pinch of lemishine and a dash of purple power. Let 'em run about an hour and they're plenty clean. Dry with compressed air and tumble in walnut media with nufinish. That's what I do with range pickups.

mdi
03-16-2014, 12:09 PM
My first tumbler was one of the single drum HF units about 17 years ago ($30.00 back then). Worked great for many years, until I "improved" it. Got another two drum unit and use it for parts, cases, tools, etc., both wet and dry (I experimented with wet tumbling and used small stainless steel screws, nuts and washers (didn't want to spend $$ on pins, works great), and I even dedicated one drum to powder coating, but for larger batches my Lyman wobbler is fine with walnut litter...

FWIW, I was using a home made drum that was slipping. I had a bottle of rubber cement sitting on the bench from another project and thought "why not?". Brushed a bit of cement on the "power rod" as it was turning and kept it running allowing the cement to dry. No more slipping...

bangerjim
03-16-2014, 01:25 PM
I have the HF dual unit and it seems to work just as good as the more expensive units.

One trick I did is to add some "slick" tape patches to the sides, as the drums tend to wander into the metal sides. The slick tape keeps the wear and noise down!

I get that tape at Woodcraft.

banger