PDA

View Full Version : Hello needing some expertise

improman
03-16-2014, 05:46 AM
I bought a inline that was on a Remington stock,it has a 1 inch green mountain bbl 457 diameter 1 in 18 twist.totally befuddled on a load .diameter bullet to fit.soft lead /hardcast 45/70 bullets??.I think id like a hollow base bullet...or could I use bore buttons over the powder..ALOT TO THINK ABOUT..The gun was in the white 99% finished except scope mounts that I drilled n tapped.A gun show merchant was selling it for a deceased builders son,that just gave them to him,to sell ..no info..one guy says ..that shoots 45/70 bullets...hhhmmmm HELP PLEASE.THANK YOU..

Nobade
03-16-2014, 09:24 AM
If that rifle has a normal .450"/.457" 45-70 barrel on it, you can use it just like I use my Gonic with the same dimensions. I can shoot either 45-70 boolits that have been sized down to .449", or paper patched slicks that start out at .442" and get patched up to .449". Cast them from fairly soft lead, use the wad stack of your choice (I use a .030" LDPE wad and a lubed 1/8" felt wad) and load it like a cartridge rifle. Mine likes around 80gr. of FFg powder. If you use naked grooved boolits, fill the grooves with lube either with a .458" Lubrisizer die or dip lubing, then run them through the sizer to bring them down to a thou under bore diameter. By filling the lube grooves first, they won't collapse and it will carry more lube. Just gets longer. Remember, if your rifle uses normal percussion nipples and caps that the nipples don't last long shooting like this due to the high pressure. Platinum lined nipples go a long way to solving that. I do have a Rem 700ML that I built a breech plug for that uses 32 ACP cases and pistol primers. That solves this problem, and works very well. But the Gonic works well too, just have to replace the nipple every hundred shots or so unless using a platinum lined one.

-Nobade

Squeeze
03-16-2014, 10:03 AM
REALLY fast twist! Is it a genesis (break action)or a 700 style (bolt action) rebarreled?

johnson1942
03-16-2014, 12:05 PM
norbade gave 100 percent good advise on your fine gun. it can be a tackdriver at any range. i have a 1/18 twist muzzleloader in .450 cal also as many of us do who are apart of cast boolits. a castbullet will shoot very well but if you want to use heavier charges for distance and ft. per sec. paperpatch is the way to go. some .450 fast twist barrels are really tight as my douglas barrel is. i have to use a .440 bullet. push through resizeing dies are very cost effective so if the .442 is too tight to paperpatch just go down in size untill it is perfect. you will have a lot of fun with that gun. i feel the .45 fastwist is the easiest barrel to work up a load on. on the ones i have they were never fussy and they always shoot consistanly right on.

johnson1942
03-16-2014, 12:26 PM
P.S. also just for fun once in a while i will shoot a 300 grain .40 bullet in a mmp sabot for the fast twist .45, really accurate, very fast and will shoot way out their. your gun will handle the same and do well with it.

smoked turkey
03-16-2014, 02:09 PM
improman I think I speak for a lot of others here in that we would like to see pictures of your new "45-70". It does seem with that heavy barrel that it will be a tack driver. Yes the 45 cal muzzleloader is a bunch of fun and coming from a world of .50 cal shooting it seems to be more shooter friendly than some of my larger bores. You will get a lot of enjoyment from it.

improman
03-16-2014, 02:23 PM
HI thanks its a custom built front end stuffer muzzleloader,just set into a Remington stock with straight pull action that a rod goes forward after the triggers pulled to ignite the cap.

improman
03-16-2014, 02:26 PM
THANK YOU,WOW your right up there in knowledge.VERY informative.BEEN THERE DONE THAT you have.

Squeeze
03-16-2014, 02:32 PM
sounds like its built on an allen inline action, or similar. Nice. Can you post pics? No reason it shouldnt be a shooter. plenty of options what it may like

improman
03-16-2014, 03:08 PM
just tried to do a pic FAILED..

improman
03-16-2014, 03:11 PM
just a custom made gun with a green mountain bbl on a inline action

johnson1942
03-16-2014, 05:40 PM
with a scope you could go to the range and hit the gong at 600 yards pluss.

improman
03-17-2014, 12:17 AM
hey thanks sooo much Johnson 1942.I love the idea of exxxtended range.Hunting here in maine is done at 40 yards /most.alot closer usually.But its the process of muzzleloading and to SHOOT a lot and ofton.Ive just done roundball and line shooting matches.This is new and very exciting.The gun is as big as a 50bmg 34"bbl 1inch across the flats.I was thinking 45/120 with ???? bullet I want to buy a mold for this but need advise.THANKS